Would the Dragon Ball series be more respected if Z didn't exist?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Would the Dragon Ball series be more respected if Z didn't exist?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:03 pm

ABED wrote:Not to mention Kuririn, Chaozu, and Muten Roshi have all died once before.
Which viewers won't a problem with knowing if they start with Z. Watching OG Dragon Ball is by no means necessary in order to get into DBZ.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Dragon Ball would still great in its own self contained fashion had Z not existed. The idea that Dragon Ball wouldn't be respected if Z didn't exist is laughable, in my opinion. Z brought a lot of good, but prior to the Saiyan arc, the story was still great and no future arc has any bearing on that stand point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:Not to mention Kuririn, Chaozu, and Muten Roshi have all died once before.
Which viewers won't a problem with knowing if they start with Z. Watching OG Dragon Ball is by no means necessary in order to get into DBZ.
It's not about not knowing, it's about not experiencing. I read the Curtis Hoffman synopses of DB for years before ever seeing the series. It's not the same. Stories are meant to be experienced. I know what you're saying and I had no problem following DBZ before seeing DB, but that's because the story isn't complicated. I got the backstory, but I didn't experience it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
It's not about not knowing, it's about not experiencing. I read the Curtis Hoffman synopses of DB for years before ever seeing the series. It's not the same. Stories are meant to be experienced. I know what you're saying and I had no problem following DBZ before seeing DB, but that's because the story isn't complicated. I got the backstory, but I didn't experience it.
Then why you bitching about it if you don't need to watch/read Dragon Ball? Experiencing the story shouldn't be a problem either with the original manga as they're treated as one story and the Z anime references OG Dragon Ball a lot. Kai even gives a one big recap to the earlier chronological portions of the story.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm

You don't need to watch seasons 1-7 of Friends to get season 8, but that's not the same as experiencing the show. You miss the point. It's about the experience. You can watch the Buu arc without having watched the rest of Z, but so what? It's not a complicated story. What you are missing out on is the rest of the story. A synopsis or recap isn't the same as watching the show. I'm complaining because you and others seem so intent on people not watching DB and claiming DBZ is essentially a standalone series.

I don't even understand your point about the manga. Surely the same logic applies to the watching the anime. The anime also treats it as one story because it is.

DBZ isn't like Frasier was to Cheers. It's more like season 5 of One Tree Hill. It's several years later and a little bit of a reset, but it builds on what came before.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

ABED wrote:I'm complaining because you and others seem so intent on people not watching DB.

and claiming DBZ is essentially a standalone series.
The reaosn for this is because the chances of someone getting into the franchise through DB aren't very high compared to Z (Kai preferably for the pacing). DB looks very old and outdated while Z (Kai) has a timelss look that stays fresh regardless of when it's being watched.

If something can be enjoyed on its own then it is standalone. This doesn't work with the Buu arc though cause the events in the previous arcs play a main role in it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm complaining because you and others seem so intent on people not watching DB.

and claiming DBZ is essentially a standalone series.
The reaosn for this is because the chances of someone getting into the franchise through DB aren't very high compared to Z (Kai preferably for the pacing). DB looks very old and outdated while Z (Kai) has a timelss look that stays fresh regardless of when it's being watched.

If something can be enjoyed on its own then it is standalone. This doesn't work with the Buu arc though cause the events in the previous arcs play a main role in it.
I don't agree about the look. They both have a timeless feel to them. If not, at least a vintage feel which I don't think people would find off putting.

No, it's not a stand alone because it doesn't stand alone. You can watch and enjoy The Avengers without ever having watched the rest of phase one, but it's not a stand alone film.

The events of the previous arcs also play an important role in The Saiyan arc. Piccolo's entire arc is predicated on what came before.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

ABED wrote:The events of the previous arcs also play an important role in The Saiyan arc.
The Saiyan arc feels like a soft reboot of the story. It takes everything before into account but it also feels like a fresh beginning for the story that welcomes old AND new fans alike. that's not the case in the Buu or any other arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:The events of the previous arcs also play an important role in The Saiyan arc.
The Saiyan arc feels like a soft reboot of the story. It takes everything before into account but it also feels like a fresh beginning for the story that welcomes old AND new fans alike. that's not the case in the Buu or any other arc.
It is very similar in the Buu arc. The Buu arc is also a fresh start complete with a different protagonist. It's not a reboot. Knowing something and experiencing something are two completely different things. Piccolo's arc isn't NEARLY as effective if you haven't experienced it. Stories are meant to be experienced, not synopsized.

Frasier was written to stand alone from Cheers. It works emotionally without ever having seen Cheers because the story wasn't about what came before. Piccolo's arc is predicated on what came before.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball would still great in its own self contained fashion had Z not existed. The idea that Dragon Ball wouldn't be respected if Z didn't exist is laughable, in my opinion. Z brought a lot of good, but prior to the Saiyan arc, the story was still great and no future arc has any bearing on that stand point.
He's implying that Dragonball would be more respected if Z didn't exist actually. I agree. Most people's complaints with Dragonball are really Z/super issues.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball would still great in its own self contained fashion had Z not existed. The idea that Dragon Ball wouldn't be respected if Z didn't exist is laughable, in my opinion. Z brought a lot of good, but prior to the Saiyan arc, the story was still great and no future arc has any bearing on that stand point.
He's implying that Dragonball would be more respected if Z didn't exist actually. I agree. Most people's complaints with Dragonball are really Z/super issues.
Yet Z is the one that is the fan favorite, gets the praise, and is generally preferred. Most of the problems in Z are already present in OG Dragon Ball.
ABED wrote:You don't need to watch seasons 1-7 of Friends to get season 8, but that's not the same as experiencing the show. You miss the point. It's about the experience. You can watch the Buu arc without having watched the rest of Z, but so what? It's not a complicated story. What you are missing out on is the rest of the story. A synopsis or recap isn't the same as watching the show. I'm complaining because you and others seem so intent on people not watching DB and claiming DBZ is essentially a standalone series.

I don't even understand your point about the manga. Surely the same logic applies to the watching the anime. The anime also treats it as one story because it is.

DBZ isn't like Frasier was to Cheers. It's more like season 5 of One Tree Hill. It's several years later and a little bit of a reset, but it builds on what came before.
No... I got your point. I just think your bitching about people watching Z without watching OG Dragon Ball is pointless because you make it out to be a necessity.

The manga keeps the Dragon Ball name all throughout it's run while OG Dragon Ball and DBZ are separate shows.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Yet Z is the one that is the fan favorite, gets the praise, and is generally preferred. Most of the problems in Z are already present in OG Dragon Ball.
What were the problems in Z that originated from OG Dragon Ball?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Gog wrote:What were the problems in Z that originated from OG Dragon Ball?
Wasted characters (like what do we actually know about Yamcha as a character?), strength being the key factor in battles (Jackie Chun even says so), and death basically having no consequences to start.

The only people Dragon Ball would get more respect from without Z is probably lame-ass hipsters.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Gog wrote:What were the problems in Z that originated from OG Dragon Ball?
Wasted characters (like what do we actually know about Yamcha as a character?), strength being the key factor in battles (Jackie Chun even says so), and death basically having no consequences to start.

The only people Dragon Ball would get more respect from without Z is probably lame-ass hipsters.
We know that he had a problem with being around women. Strength was a factor, but he wins the first tournament by strategy. Your counterpoint is Yamcha proves characters in DB were wasted? Really, you're going with Yamcha? The problems you mentioned might be present in DB, but Z turns them up to 11.

And Z is not the more respected series. It's the more popular one.

I find DB has more compelling character arcs. More being the key word. I'm not saying Z has none.
No... I got your point. I just think your bitching about people watching Z without watching OG Dragon Ball is pointless because you make it out to be a necessity.
It is a necessity if you want to experience the full story.
The manga keeps the Dragon Ball name all throughout it's run while OG Dragon Ball and DBZ are separate shows.
That name change is cosmetic. There's no fundamental difference. It's the same story. The anime putting a different title on the show doesn't make it remotely different or change that it's all one story.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm

ABED wrote:It is a necessity if you want to experience the full story.
If you want to experience the "full" story won't you have to watch and read anything that had Dragon Ball's name in it ?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am

No, Dragonball would not have made the same impact Dragonball Z did. If Z didn't exist, this website would probably be a Yu Yu Hakusho forum.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Would the dragon ball series be more respected if Z didn't exist

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Like Abed said that has more to do because the plot isn't complicated. You can start at DBZ and not be lost but it does change a few things.
It does but unfortunately Z feels more removed from DB, than it should have been. Unlike GT it doesn't do the call backs to DB events in order to remind the audience of its continuation. Its why people think they can watch Z independently. But that attitude is why people assume Krillin is just comedic fodder.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 am

Don't worry, since Dragon Ball Z is where the series' popularity is due, and Dragon Ball Super is paying its biggest tribute, by undoing any kind of popularity that it had, to the point when people will demand a new story.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 am

Dragon Ball Z is just a name change like Naruto Shippuden for Naruto , so if it was Dragon Ball all along , this part of the series should have been more exposed than now, we have countless of re-airing of dbz, even remastering but nothing for db why? this part is the far less watch than the other one, that is just marketing things.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:It is a necessity if you want to experience the full story.
If you want to experience the "full" story won't you have to watch and read anything that had Dragon Ball's name in it ?
Now I think you are looking for reasons to disagree. I'm talking watching the series from the beginning. I don't know why this is an issue. What serialized shows do you watch that you don't from beginning? It seems you are adamantly against people watching the whole Dragon Ball.