How would you write a "Dragon Ball Next Generation" series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: How would you write a "Dragon Ball Next Generation" series?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am

I think the opportunity has passed for this. Z kind of tried this with Gohan, but people missed Goku, which Z tried to fix with Goten, but people still missed Goku, so Toriyama gave up trying to do it, and everyone hated Goku getting the spotlight anyway.
Then GT tried it with Pan and Trunks, with Goku still being there, and people complained because they don't like fun. Then GT tried it with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., and people hated it on principle because it was an extension of GT...

I think trying this again might get people angry, cynical, and weird; they'll be angry because Toei will be trying this again, cynical because they'll think Toei won't go through with it, and that they'll just wimp out and have Goku take the win instead, and they'll get weird because they'll support Goku not being the big cheese, but be against the idea of not having Goku around to go Super Saiyan Neapolitan.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm

I would rather they start from scratch in a different time.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm

The cast is dead. They do nothing interesting with them anymore nor does it seem like they want to do anything interesting with them in the future. This goes for both the main cast and the so-called 'next generation': Trunks, Goten, Oob, Pan, Gohan, I guess, so on. Ideally, for marketing purposes, you'd do as stated already in this thread and have the old generation in a mentor-esque role while the new one progressively gets stronger and becomes more central to the plot.

I'd be more radical. Just scrap the cast. Pull a Dragon Ball Online and jump into the future, when Goku & co are already dead and only the characters who are immortal or live for a long period of time are still alive, such as Piccolo and the Namekians, Roshi, Boo and those characters. Maybe for a less extreme approach, jump to when Trunks & Goten are already in their late 30s or 40s and have children if you want to have some kind of connection to the old cast but you'd want to recapture that adventure feel of the original series and that really isn't possible if the protagonists already have a direct connection to the main figures of the series lore.

Also, by skipping a few hundred years into the future, you could technically keep both GT and Super as direct sequels to the manga within the same continuity.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Heroes' legacy/100 years later Special fits what "Next Generation" means in my opinion. Having the story to continue with Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.