Dragon Ball School Rumors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball School Rumors?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 30, 2017 2:28 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:(remember this is at a time where Venom - the villainous Spider-Man - was the shiznit)
You mean he isn't anymore? :(
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:(remember this is at a time where Venom - the villainous Spider-Man - was the shiznit)
You mean he isn't anymore? :(
Not really. That's pretty much stuck in the 90s. In the comics Eddie Brock actually stopped being Venom in 2004, and only rejoined with the symbiote just this year. 13 years is a pretty long absence for a character like that.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:05 am

I don't remember any rumours about DBZ floating around - Beyblade was the shiz when I was in primary school. But I do remember in high school how hyped a few people were about Dragonball Evolution, and curious about how a live action version of Piccolo would look.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:11 am

That god awful Super Saiyan 5 design (you guys know the one) that people spammed around saying it was fact and it happened in either GT or some movie.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:03 am

Oh boy. Where do we start? First of all, this was like '98, so the internet was around. I don't know why, but in my school, the big thing was to have "DBZ folders" with a ton of printed pictures from the internet along with info. So those who dug deep enough might even find summaries of arcs, but not really episode summaries. So lots of people pretty much knew bits and pieces about what's going to happen.

So I grew up with rumors like Goten being the strongest fighter in the universe, the new AF series is coming out in Japan, Pan is the strongest in the universe, Broly is the strongest in the universe (we had zero clue about him other than his design), etc.

I recall someone telling me something that was dead-on, but I had trouble believing at the time just because of the absurdity of the story lol He told me that he watched GT and said that it was 100 years later, Pan was an old lady and her grandson -- Goku Jr. -- was looking for the Dragon Balls to cure her illness. I thought that this story sounded so ridiculous. Everything from the plot to the name of "Goku Jr." was so silly that I thought he was lying. Well... Did I have egg on my face a few years later or what? lol

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:22 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:So I grew up with rumors like Goten being the strongest fighter in the universe, the new AF series is coming out in Japan, Pan is the strongest in the universe, Broly is the strongest in the universe (we had zero clue about him other than his design), etc.
How could they all be the strongest?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:27 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:So I grew up with rumors like Goten being the strongest fighter in the universe, the new AF series is coming out in Japan, Pan is the strongest in the universe, Broly is the strongest in the universe (we had zero clue about him other than his design), etc.
How could they all be the strongest?
Kids' logic lol Plus, different people spreading different "rumors."

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 pm

I only remember missing GT's ending and asking everyone what happened to Goku and them telling me that he became an all powerfull god.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:21 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:I only remember missing GT's ending and asking everyone what happened to Goku and them telling me that he became an all powerfull god.
That was pretty much my interpretation. The guy absorbed all of the Dragon Balls and then we see him 100 years later looking like a 25 year old and he had some voodoo stuff where it was alluded to that he granted Goku Jr.'s wish. So... yeah.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 am

I only remember some kids saying that after DBGT there is another series called DB AF and we didn't knew what canon or non canon is but either way it was only a fanmade series
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:08 am

I remember way back in the mid-late 90s, when only a few pictures the Boo saga and beyond surfaced online and there were very few websites for Dragon Ball, we'd have a LOT of rumors going around.

Here's a few I can think of:
Mr. Satan was Nappa super saiyan
Mr. Boo was a transformation of Dodoria
Ultimate Gohan was Yamcha after a ton of training
Kid Goku from GT was from flashbacks in Z about Goku's childhood. (We didn't even know about Dragon Ball lol)
Boujack was some transformation of Piccolo.

There was hardly any information out back then; we were kids and our imaginations were running wild. :lol:

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Randomly remembered this at work today... I remember when Android 16 first appeared and we were all up in arms speculating about who he might be. This was in the late 90s and we weren't so Internet savvy. One lad told us that Android 16 was Dr. Gero's fail-safe in case Cell got out of control. Although not by design, in practise, this actually turned out to be relatively accurate!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I remember way back in the mid-late 90s, when only a few pictures the Boo saga and beyond surfaced online and there were very few websites for Dragon Ball, we'd have a LOT of rumors going around.

Kid Goku from GT was from flashbacks in Z about Goku's childhood. (We didn't even know about Dragon Ball lol)

There was hardly any information out back then; we were kids and our imaginations were running wild. :lol:
I actually used to find a lot of official Dragon Ball Z artwork online and print it off and bring it in to school, and we saw the one of Ultimate Gohan standing head-to-head with Buu, and all thought it was Yamcha.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:I remember way back in the mid-late 90s, when only a few pictures the Boo saga and beyond surfaced online and there were very few websites for Dragon Ball, we'd have a LOT of rumors going around.

I actually used to find a lot of official Dragon Ball Z artwork online and print it off and bring it in to school, and we saw the one of Ultimate Gohan standing head-to-head with Buu, and all thought it was Yamcha.
Haha. Such a different time back then, lol. There were a ton of kids in school who made scrapbooks with just printouts of Z/GT stuff that they'd never seen before.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:32 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Haha. Such a different time back then, lol. There were a ton of kids in school who made scrapbooks with just printouts of Z/GT stuff that they'd never seen before.
Haha no way! I made a scrapbook full of DB, DBZ and DBGT printouts, plus stuff from other shows I liked like Pokemon, Digimon, Medabots, Cubix, etc.
Z-Fighters fan.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm

The popular thing in 1998/1999 was "Dragon Ball Z folders" with printouts and whatnot, so I was in the same boat as you guys. However, when it came to Boo arc Gohan, I was at an advantage... because there was a kid who had Final Bout for PS1 in English and I saw what Gohan looked like in that booket that he brought to school.

I loved being a fan of it back then. Yes, we didn't know anything about the series, but that made it so much more enjoyable. It was this mysterious thing that we couldn't get enough of. Now, it's content overload. Half the fun was in trying to figure out what happens next and trying to find summaries, pictures, etc.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Oh man! DBZ Folders with print outs of artwork was a good chunk of my entire school life for the 1st and 2nd grade! I lugged that shit with me to class everyday to show them off. Though only one of us in the school had seen it in japanese thus he was the only one that knew what any of the artwork meant. I even managed to make a few bucks selling them for a dollar each. The movie posters were my favorite thing to have printed out. Had to stop printing that stuff out eventually because my parents were not happy about me using all the ink.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 pm

It's too bad you didn't think to increase the price of your "trade" to cover the cost of ink for your parents & keep your personal earnings. :D Of course, so that there's no confusion, I'm not encouraging the initial practice.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Too many Pokemon cards to buy. Priorities.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:01 am

Super Saiyan 5,6,7,8,9 all existed according to my classmate. He would show me artwork which I thought was real.

If anyone remembers Dragonball AF, kids used to spread that rumour around big time that it was real.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl