Kameha-con 2018!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Jesus, Schemmel really is a dick and he's really more like Vegeta than Goku. Sabat and Drummond have gotten along well, so why the fuck can't he get along with Corlett, Kelamis or Morrow? Oh yeah, right. He thinks he's the only voice for Goku.

I'd love to see someone call him out on this at the con.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 pm

ABED wrote:You're acting like he's The Rock. He's Sean Schemmel and a D-List celebrity, if that.
Sure. I'm just saying he'd be more of a draw for the general Dragon Ball fan in the U.S. than Kelamis.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd love to see someone call him out on this at the con.
I'm seriously thinking about it. I shouldn't be the only one either.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 am

I just wonder if whoever plan and invest in that event is a fan of dragon ball or a business fan ...
dub sucks imo, always original version with subs no matter what , dub make us dumb and don’t taste the real art .
I hope the event has enough good things other than dub-lliwood stars And whoever will go there may have a good time , is always good to celebrate and have fun , drink with moderation.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 am

Kuwabara wrote:They're all just dub actors anyway, they should know their place. They're not the original cast, even if many US fans like to treat them as such.

That in and of itself is hilarious... Almost nobody will give a fuck that Schemmel didn't want to play nice with Kelamis, but imagine the shit storm if Nozawa decided she wanted Schemmel out! :lol:

So backwards and stupid, once again nothing involving Dragon Ball ever goes off without a hitch.

It also pisses me off because the franchise has a really interesting history in America, which Schemmel is effectively trying to erase by getting an actor from a previous dub booted from the con. What is he even afraid of? I'd love to fly to this con, all the way from the East Coast, just to call Schemmel out to his face.
the only problem with that is...

It's a lot easier being tuffguyinternetbro on the internet than real life. A lot easier.
prince212 wrote:I just wonder if whoever plan and invest in that event is a fan of dragon ball or a business fan ...
dub sucks imo, always original version with subs no matter what , dub make us dumb and don’t taste the real art .
I hope the event has enough good things other than dub-lliwood stars And whoever will go there may have a good time , is always good to celebrate and have fun , drink with moderation.
dude, wut.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 am

Schemmel will be announced for the con tomorrow. I saw on twitter that people with VIP tickets got an E-mail VIP exclusive announcement saying Sean was coming.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:15 am

I wonder how Schemmel feels about the other Goku voice actors like Steve Blum and Lex Lang.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:53 am

Haven't heard anything about Steve Blum, but he was apparently very supportive of Lex Lang giving him advice on playing Goku. If true it only makes this all the more frustrating when Lang is no different from Kelamis as he's just another alternate English voice for Goku that will never permanently replace him anyway. I respect Schemmel as an actor, but this is just low, very, very low.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:22 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Haven't heard anything about Steve Blum, but he was apparently very supportive of Lex Lang giving him advice on playing Goku. If true it only makes this all the more frustrating when Lang is no different from Kelamis as he's just another alternate English voice for Goku that will never permanently replace him anyway. I respect Schemmel as an actor, but this is just low, very, very low.
I can't say Schemmel wasn't supportive of Lang, but some of the stuff that's floated around isn't true.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 am

Well it would've been even worse if Sean wasn't attending.

I think I can see the picture now. He probably got invited and so Peter was there and was like I'll only come if he's gone.

So Kameha-can did what they did.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:30 am

This convention is being hosted by a company called SilvrFire LLC (previously known as Silvrpoint). This isn't the first convention they've run. I've never attended anything they've put together, so I can't say if those were good experiences or not.

No idea why people involved with the convention have been silent about that. It took me seconds to dig that info up. I only did a quick search, but the worst thing attached to them that I can find is a cancelled con last November. They've deleted all the social media and websites, so I can't verify, but the original story said they'd issue refunds to those that pre-registered.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:55 am

Man, after the whole Rosé incident you would think that he would learn something. I guess not. It’s so strange to me that Schemmel feels as if he needs to be the only Goku there, like Kelamis is going to destroy his career or something. The fact that he feels so threatened by Kelamis actually opens up many things about his character.

One thing I realized is that every time someone compliments him for improving his Goku and that if he takes any inspiration from Nozawa’s performance, he ALWAYS says that he doesn’t take anything from Nozawa and does everything on his own, even though his recent performances say otherwise. The point is, he’s a very insecure man. He wants to BE Goku. Nozawa is completely out of his league, so he takes it upon himself to get rid of every other Goku that can “threaten” him. It’s clear as day at this point.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am

I am very upset Peter Kelamis will no longer be attending.
I wanted him to sign my Rock The Dragon collection.

Sad really.

I'd like to see Schemmel address these rumors.
I have a bunch of autographs from him, but not one from Kelamis.
If these rumors are true, i'll be boycotting Schemmel for a bit.
Last edited by Ozotto on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well it would've been even worse if Sean wasn't attending.

I think I can see the picture now. He probably got invited and so Peter was there and was like I'll only come if he's gone.

As an actor I have nothing but respect for Schemmel, but as a person I would much rather see him be banned from attending a convention if he's going to behave this way. As has been said if Sabat and Drummond can be civil there's no reason Schemmel and Kelamis can't, especially when he will always be the definitive English Goku. Schemmel is just being extremely selfish and throwing a hissy fit over nothing.
Ozotto wrote:I am very upset Peter Kelamis will no longer be attending.
I wanted him to sign my Rock The Dragon collection.

Sad really.
Yeah I'd love to meet Kelamis one day and get my movie 2 Pioneer DVD signed.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:22 am

Hey guys! I haven't been following the news, but I just wanted to say I'm super excited for a drama-free convention! Going to be great to finally have a spot to talk about Dragon Ball without any nastiness or scandal, where fans can all get along!

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:24 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah I'd love to meet Kelamis one day and get my movie 2 Pioneer DVD signed.
I've been trying for a few years for a con with Kelamis and/ or Corlett, very sad that they'll get bumped for Schemmel, if that's true.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am

As an actor I have nothing but respect for Schemmel, but as a person I would much rather see him be banned from attending a convention if he's going to behave this way. As has been said if Sabat and Drummond can be civil there's no reason Schemmel and Kelamis can't, especially when he will always be the definitive English Goku. Schemmel is just being extremely selfish and throwing a hissy fit over nothing.
Exactly I don't know what his problem is especially since he doesn't have a problem with Nozawa so why different English VA's who are just as important to the history of dubbed DB? Is beyond me.

This is definitely a case of separate the art from the artist. I gave him the benefit of the doubt regarding his behaviour to other actors but this definitely the low now. Tbh Kameha-con are just as bad allowing it to even get to this stage, it wasn't like they were losing Schemmel as he wasn't even announced.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Exactly I don't know what his problem is especially since he doesn't have a problem with Nozawa so why different English VA's who are just as important to the history of dubbed DB? Is beyond me.

This is definitely a case of separate the art from the artist. I gave him the benefit of the doubt regarding his behaviour to other actors but this definitely the low now. Tbh Kameha-con are just as bad allowing it to even get to this stage, it wasn't like they were losing Schemmel as he wasn't even announced.
He knows he can’t touch Nozawa, so he goes after everyone else who he deems inferior to him.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

He probably doesn't feel as threatened by Nozawa because she's the Japanese VA and would never be in an English dub even if she was fluent in the language. Regardless its still very odd Schemmel would be this way over Kelamis. Even when AB did their own dub for the UK and later Canada Schemmel still got to play Goku in Funi's original Z dub and has remained the definitive English voice for the character on all the home releases and the majority of English-speaking countries (including the UK when Kai aired on Kix and the latest movies when they got shown theatrically and even recently on Netflix). Most dubbed Dragon Ball fans worldwide know and respect Schemmel as the voice of Goku. His position is as solid as it gets. It's just beyond me why he feels so insecure over the fact another actor who played the same character would be at the same convention as him. I don't know if he had a bad experience with some Ocean dub fanboy that made him resent any Canadian Goku, but the way he's behaving is just coming across insufferably childish.

I think its great we have Funimation and Ocean cast members attending, as well as hopefully a Japanese guest. This convention should be a chance to bring fans of this divided fanbase together and all celebrate this great franchise we all love, not add fuel to the fire.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:52 am

Wow, and I've always thought that such a big ego is only a thing in the Hollywood movies.

Pretty lame Mr. Sean, pretty lame.