Speedy dub - New information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Speedy dub - New information

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Today I found some new info about this crappy but interesting dub in Youtube.
Boys Down South wrote:
As somebody who lived in Malaysia in the 90s I can tell you a little bit about Speedy, due to the rising popularity of dbz when it went on Cartoon Network with its deal with Sagan studios , speedy made a contract with saban to get in on the cash to distribute their dub in Malaysia, when funimation took over and nullified the contract because speedy was either not paying enough or skipped on payments on their rights to distribute they were left with no way of getting dbz into the Malaysian markets so they created their own piss poor cheap dub, at first speedy with their limited budget purchased low quality raw film from Mexico (like funimation did in its namek and android sagas) they ripped the Spanish voices out (if you bass boost it enough you can still hear Mario Castenada's screams from the Latino dub in movies 5 and 3 they didn't fully rip out) and basically got a bunch of people from one or two of their stores to do the dub If I'm not mistaken these are the voice actors I know
Goku - Ahmad Khafe
Piccolo - Izzaz Ntero
Garlic - Ahmad Khafe (5/7 of the movie) / Serahm Ntero (some scenes)
Gohan - Grace Roiyo (?)
Bulma - Grace Roiyo (?)
Turles - Serahm Ntero (?)
Lord Slug - Ahmad Khafe
Vegeta - Muhammad Amaito
Cooler - Hussein Ahmed (?)
That's as much as I know for the voice actorsWhen speedy tanked due to low sales but the demand for dbz in Malaysia was high they took the Mexican dubbed and Japanese subbed audio and muted whenever characters were speaking and looped the background noise. You see, this wasn't ever supported by TOEI or know, that's one of the reasons ocean dub was cancelled and Funi voided the contracted with speedy because it was an illegal dub to get more revenue into the pockets of Saban as they earned 25% royalties in every sale of a speedy video, which is why their dub along with the speedy dub is in the box, Saban provided footage and continued to illegally sell footage to Speedy until they lost their contract to DBZ in 2005 and was forced to sell its rights back to Funi so they could dub the Saiyan saga.
TL;DR? Speedy dub illegally had a contract with Sagan to produce this terrible dub into Malaysian markets for 25% revenue until toei handed the rights over to funimation and Speedy fell into the fucking toilet and used the footage they recieved and made as little effort as possible to rip out the voices and overall just muted and dubbed over everything to save money in this amid illegal dub scandal.

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Miu09Egq-M
I also posted this on BTVA Forums where I am still waiting the approval from moderators.

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Speedy dub - New information

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:15 pm

If that's all true, I have to wonder why Toei (or Funimation acting as a proxy for them) never sued Saban for copyright infringement. Also brings up some questions about why Toei, in light of this, would allow Saban to dub Smile PreCure as Glitter Force (and then take the rights back after about 1.5 years).

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Paralleling the dub itself, the story of the Speedy dub is bizarrely comical. I don't think we've known who the VA's were for the dub until now.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 am

You see, this wasn't ever supported by TOEI or know, that's one of the reasons ocean dub was cancelled and Funi voided the contract
So, one of the reasons the Ocean dub was cancelled was because Speedy started an illegal dub up after the Ocean dub was cancelled...?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 am

Tian wrote:Today I found some new info about this crappy but interesting dub in Youtube.
Boys Down South wrote:
As somebody who lived in Malaysia in the 90s I can tell you a little bit about Speedy, due to the rising popularity of dbz when it went on Cartoon Network with its deal with Sagan studios , speedy made a contract with saban to get in on the cash to distribute their dub in Malaysia, when funimation took over and nullified the contract because speedy was either not paying enough or skipped on payments on their rights to distribute they were left with no way of getting dbz into the Malaysian markets so they created their own piss poor cheap dub, at first speedy with their limited budget purchased low quality raw film from Mexico (like funimation did in its namek and android sagas) they ripped the Spanish voices out (if you bass boost it enough you can still hear Mario Castenada's screams from the Latino dub in movies 5 and 3 they didn't fully rip out) and basically got a bunch of people from one or two of their stores to do the dub If I'm not mistaken these are the voice actors I know
Goku - Ahmad Khafe
Piccolo - Izzaz Ntero
Garlic - Ahmad Khafe (5/7 of the movie) / Serahm Ntero (some scenes)
Gohan - Grace Roiyo (?)
Bulma - Grace Roiyo (?)
Turles - Serahm Ntero (?)
Lord Slug - Ahmad Khafe
Vegeta - Muhammad Amaito
Cooler - Hussein Ahmed (?)
That's as much as I know for the voice actorsWhen speedy tanked due to low sales but the demand for dbz in Malaysia was high they took the Mexican dubbed and Japanese subbed audio and muted whenever characters were speaking and looped the background noise. You see, this wasn't ever supported by TOEI or know, that's one of the reasons ocean dub was cancelled and Funi voided the contracted with speedy because it was an illegal dub to get more revenue into the pockets of Saban as they earned 25% royalties in every sale of a speedy video, which is why their dub along with the speedy dub is in the box, Saban provided footage and continued to illegally sell footage to Speedy until they lost their contract to DBZ in 2005 and was forced to sell its rights back to Funi so they could dub the Saiyan saga.
TL;DR? Speedy dub illegally had a contract with Sagan to produce this terrible dub into Malaysian markets for 25% revenue until toei handed the rights over to funimation and Speedy fell into the fucking toilet and used the footage they recieved and made as little effort as possible to rip out the voices and overall just muted and dubbed over everything to save money in this amid illegal dub scandal.

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Miu09Egq-M
I also posted this on BTVA Forums where I am still waiting the approval from moderators.
Did Speedy dub any of the episodes?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm

sangofe wrote: Did Speedy dub any of the episodes?
Yes, they dubbed some episodes of Z
https://youtu.be/Y5XeoYnyFIk

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 am

This source seems pretty sketchy and misinformed, they seem to have a flawed understanding of what Saban and Funimation's role was back then and even seem to be getting Saban mixed up with Pioneer.

As far as we know, Saban were not the ones who facilitated DBZ being on Cartoon Network (US) or Toonami (US), Funimation were on their own by that point.

They also seem to imply that Funimation had little to no involvement in the Saban/Ocean portion of the US dub (for instance, he says "when funimation took over"), that's obviously false, they were always heavily involved.