Masako Nozawa pitched down

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Masako Nozawa pitched down

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:09 pm

After seeing a video where someone edited Nozawa's voice for Bardock, but pitched it down slightly, had me wondering if it could have worked for the entire series. I am not a person who dislikes Nozawa for Goku, or even Bardock, but I do wonder if it sounds natural enough that it could have been plausible, if not for Goku, at least Bardock. I would make a case for Bardock, considering he is a much tougher, rugged character. The reason Nozawa works for Goku is because of his childlike nature and easygoing attitude. Nozawa naturally deepens the voice for Goku in his adult years when compared to his childhood years.

Pitched down Bardock: https://youtu.be/w-Uim22jdTc

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I would think it is only feasible if the down-pitching doesn't sound like it is down-pitched; the effect only works if it sounds natural.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Masako Nozawa pitched down

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Wow that sounds pretty good. I think it fits pretty well, I wonder what it might sound like if they did that for goku.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

When I saw Masako Nozawa’s name in the title of this thread, I immediately was worried that something happened to her. :(

Anyway, it’s an interesting idea that I think could work with better technology, but it’s not difficult to see why they didn’t bother with it. It would’ve made Nozawa’s voice difficult to recognize.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Wow that sounds pretty good. I think it fits pretty well, I wonder what it might sound like if they did that for goku.
Someone did actually.
Edit: better quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZq46qY ... e=youtu.be

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:37 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Wow that sounds pretty good. I think it fits pretty well, I wonder what it might sound like if they did that for goku.
Someone did actually.
Holy crap that's sounds pretty damn good. You can sorta tell they brought the pitch down but if you bring the pitch back a little bit I think it'd be perfect. Although I can see some people finding these alteration blasphemous.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 am

I've seen that video before. I prefer her Bardock voice as it was, sounds more natural than the pitched down voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:31 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Someone did actually.
Holy crap that's sounds pretty damn good. You can sorta tell they brought the pitch down but if you bring the pitch back a little bit I think it'd be perfect. Although I can see some people finding these alteration blasphemous.
Yeah, just bring it up half a step and it should be perfect.

I think it is a fun "what if" but yes, there are purists that would HATE this idea.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:14 am

These pitched down takes sound too much like an otherwise effeminate man trying to sound masculine to me, personally. Nozawa's very distinct voice is part of what makes her performances stand out. With these videos, I'm reminded of Kurama or Zoisite. Still, it might have been interesting to try something like this with Bardock or Tullece.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 am

I think with Bardock or Tullece it's fine, not every Goku look-a-like needs to be voiced by Nozawa imo.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 am

WittyUsername wrote:When I saw Masako Nozawa’s name in the title of this thread, I immediately was worried that something happened to her. :(

Anyway, it’s an interesting idea that I think could work with better technology, but it’s not difficult to see why they didn’t bother with it. It would’ve made Nozawa’s voice difficult to recognize.
I KNOW! It happened with Hiromi Tsuru too but that time I was sadly right. I really hope its a long time before we lose Nozawa.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 am

Its not Nozawa pitched down

More like Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo) X Tohru Furuya dialled down several notches

I really dont "connect" with the character. It only gave edgyness, which may be suitable for dat particular scene but Bardock's character especially in later part of the film had more depth

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:52 pm

DHM211 wrote:Someone did actually.
That voice coming out of Goku.. God, no. Please no.

Just wait for Masako's replacement which should be sometime in the near future.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Someone did actually.
That voice coming out of Goku.. God, no. Please no.

Just wait for Masako's replacement which should be sometime in the near future.
I know she’s old and all, but that seems a little morbid.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:35 am

I like it.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:44 am

WittyUsername wrote:I know she’s old and all, but that seems a little morbid.
I can see why but I was thinking more along the lines of finally retiring and enjoying her life away from Dragon Ball. Everyone eventually retires from their professional career although some love it so much they do it till the end.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I know she’s old and all, but that seems a little morbid.
I can see why but I was thinking more along the lines of finally retiring and enjoying her life away from Dragon Ball. Everyone eventually retires from their professional career although some love it so much they do it till the end.
True. If she plans on retiring soon, she’s certainly earned it. Still, I don’t think I could really imagine anyone other than her as the Japanese voice for Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Dude, that Bardock voice though! :o :clap:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Yup, that voice suits Bardock way better.

My biggest problem with Bardock JPN voice being the same as Goku's was that the explanation given for Goku keeping his childhood voice was that it reflected his pure nature even as an adult.

This doesn't apply to a blood thirsty space pirate like Bardock. He should definitely have a deeper, more masculine voice.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:35 pm

It sounds a lot better. Like A LOT better! If only they decided to do this option for him at the start, instead of it being...well serious Goku.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm

James Del Duca wrote:So, my goal here is to artificially make Goku's (in this case Bardock's) voice sound like a man by pitching it down three notes.
Why can't a man have a voice that sounds like Nozawa?
You must have faith in who you are.