Will Chiaotsu ever be relevant in Dragon Ball again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Will Chiaotsu ever be relevant in Dragon Ball again?

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

He stopped being relevant after the Saiyan saga which was always really dissapointing to me. I liked Chiaotsu, and i always wanted to know more about him. Is he human? Why does he look like a clown? How old is he? Will he ever get a girlfriend? At least Yamcha kept appearing in Super and even had an episode dedicated to him (the baseball one). Did Chiaotsu even talk in Dragon Ball Super? I know he appeared in some episodes but i don't remember him talking.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: Will Chiaotsu ever be relevant in Dragon Ball again?

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Naaah. It's a rare event finding someone who likes the pale midget.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Are you high or something?
Caulifla best girl! :)

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 pm

You can bet your bottom dollar

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 pm

If Tenshinhan is regarded as a joke after his pathetic performance in the ToP, how can Chiautzo be relevant since all he does is follow Tien around?

Never happening in a million years. He wasn't even considered as one of the ten fighters for universe 7.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Honestly Chiaotzu ceased to be relevant after Daimao killed him during his wish recital.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Image

Are you high or something?
This. :lol:

He was only relevant once which was against Krillin back in the 22nd Tenkaichi so there's 0 chance of him becoming so after all that's happened, especially with more important characters like Piccolo and Gohan rarely getting anything.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 31, 2018 10:16 pm

KBABZ wrote:Honestly Chiaotzu ceased to be relevant after Daimao killed him during his wish recital.
An argument could even be made that he stopped being relevant after his fight with Kuririn. That was like, literally the only real fight we got to see him in (he pretty much just popped in and blew himself up on Nappa without really doing much 'fighting' prior to that), and also the only time he had any semblance of personality that wasn't 'Tenshinhan! Tenshinhan!'.

I mean, no offense to any fans of the guy, but...I honestly feel like the only reason the character doesn't catch as much crap and isn't the butt of as many jokes as Kuririn and Yamcha do/are, is because at least they're there to put in appearances that may leave some fans feeling like they were ineffective. Chiaotzu doesn't even get that. And it's a shame really, because utilized better back when he was introduced, he probably could have been a pretty fun character. But that time is long, looooonnnngg past now, sadly.

Though, uh, he gets used in an interesting way in the 'That Time I Was Reincarnated as Yamcha' spinoff manga, so there's that? I guess?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Honestly Chiaotzu ceased to be relevant after Daimao killed him during his wish recital.
An argument could even be made that he stopped being relevant after his fight with Kuririn. That was like, literally the only real fight we got to see him in (he pretty much just popped in and blew himself up on Nappa without really doing much 'fighting' prior to that), and also the only time he had any semblance of personality that wasn't 'Tenshinhan! Tenshinhan!'.
Very good point, he's Bulma to Tien's Goku, if that makes sense. He's there to worry, and any time Tien DOES make an appearance (say, the Buu saga) Tien says he told his bud to stay behind because it's too dangerous.

You brought up a good point too, Chiao had a very different moveset even in the face of Tien, having mystical non-physical moves like the stomach paralysis that would have given him a Krillin-like quality.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 pm

KBABZ wrote:You brought up a good point too, Chiao had a very different moveset even in the face of Tien, having mystical non-physical moves like the stomach paralysis that would have given him a Krillin-like quality.
Exactly. If they'd done some more focus on his psychic powers being different from ki powers so-to-speak, and given him more neat tricks to do with them, then that could have made him stand out more. It also would have helped if they'd had him keep his 'little shit' personality he had towards others at first, especially if that was shown as completely different from how he was with Tenshinhan. Kuririn is the original 'little shit' personality character for the series of course, but by the time of the 23rd Budokai, he'd kind of grown out of that, so leaving that to Chiaotzu would have been another way to help him stand out.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Again?! Chiaotzu was never relevant to begin with.

He only existed as a prop for Tien and to show Krillin's progression as a fighter.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 31, 2018 10:41 pm

The real question is, "has Chiaotzu EVER been relevant?"

Take him out of the series and essentially nothing will change. Poor midget boy, even more useless than Oolong.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 pm

Logania wrote:The real question is, "has Chiaotzu EVER been relevant?"

Take him out of the series and essentially nothing will change. Poor midget boy, even more useless than Oolong.
I disagree, he was a great foil to Krillin for a while there, and in particular he was somewhat crucial in getting Tsuru disgraced by being threatened to be killed. It's at that moment in particular that Tsuru becomes wholly iredeemable as a character and he self-implodes at that moment. He has no friends, no allies, and surrounds himself with rage and disgust. Cue exit, Kamehameha Left.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Chaozu WAS a very promising character with loads of potential. His fight with Kuririn in the 22nd Budokai is still a hoot, and his role in the story that early back left plenty of room for him to hang around as a major member of the cast. But as was already noted, that ship has long, long-since sailed unfortunately. He's got a great design and style of fighting and his personality in his debut story arc was great fun... but its been SO long since anything of note has been done with him, that suddenly having him brought to the fore this late in the game runs the risk of feeling sort of forced and like almost something of a non-sequitur.

Even Yamucha suddenly making a comeback has more genuine precedence to it. Muten Roshi coming back to fighting in Super was certainly a stretch in itself... but certainly not to near the same degree that it would be having Chaozu suddenly make a grand return to the front of the line.

I genuinely like the little guy (in a non-ironic way), and I still really like his earlier appearances when he was more of a prominent character: but the opportunity to develop him further is well long past sadly. File this one under "would've, could've, should've".
Gyt Kaliba wrote:If they'd done some more focus on his psychic powers being different from ki powers so-to-speak, and given him more neat tricks to do with them, then that could have made him stand out more.
For the record, Ki powers throughout Wuxia lore DO indeed grant fighters all the same psychic-like abilities that Chaozu demonstrates: from telekinesis to even limited mind reading (which we see both Goku and Muten Roshi do in the series). Telekinesis in particular is one of the most common and basic forms of Ki manipulation across all Wuxia fiction, even much more so than energy blasts.

I'm not entirely knocking your idea mind you: just having Chaozu be a fighter who specifically relies on/specializes in a fighting style where telekinesis is his front and center main focus would in and of itself do quite a LOT to make him stand out as a fighter from the others. But you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to "differentiate" its nature/origins from Ki, since its such a common and baked-in part of Ki manipulation throughout both Dragon Ball and general Wuxia media already.
DestructoDisc wrote:I liked Chiaotsu, and i always wanted to know more about him. Is he human? Why does he look like a clown?
His design isn't based on a clown's: he's modeled after Jiangshi, a type of Chinese vampire (who feed off of a person's Ki rather than their blood to survive) commonplace throughout Chinese horror and folklore, including throughout Wuxia/martial arts fantasy fiction.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

(Like so much else from Wuxia lore, this is not at all obscure or super geeky trivia in Eastern regions: the above are depictions of Jiangshi taken from all kinds of cheap, cheesy, generic drugstore and novelty shop-bought Halloween decorations found all throughout China and Southeast Asia in general: Jiangshi are as mainstream among regular mom and pop normal everyday folks within that part of the world as Universal Monsters like Frankenstein and Dracula and The Wolfman are over here in the U.S./Western regions.)

There's no indication in DB itself that Chaozu is ACTUALLY an in-universe Jiangshi himself (though that'd certainly be cool, and I'd be for that): but that's absolutely and 100% unquestionably what Toriyama was predicating his whole look off of. I'd likely chalk this up to all the absurd amounts of Wuxia films the guy was taking in while writing/drawing this stuff: Jiangshi have always been fairly ubiquitous in more horror-slanted Wuxia films, all the more so especially throughout the 80s and early 90s, when there was something of a then-popular fad for Jiangshi-centric movies all throughout Chinese and Asian cinema (along with Wuxia films, TV shows, and books/comics blending other foreign genre-tropes with it like cheesy Sci Fi: hmmmmm...).

If Chaozu WERE established within DB as a full-on Jiangshi, that'd certainly make for yet ANOTHER way to differentiate him as a fighter apart from the psychic stuff: making him able to suck/siphon Ki from his opponents to make himself stronger.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 11:53 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:If Chaozu WERE established within DB as a full-on Jiangshi, that'd certainly make for yet ANOTHER way to differentiate him as a fighter apart from the psychic stuff: making him able to suck/siphon Ki from his opponents to make himself stronger.
For some reason I now imagine him and Fangs the Vampire from Baba being fierce rivals, with Fangs usurping Chiaotzu's spot in Baba's lineup and he's all high and mighty about it.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:46 am

DestructoDisc wrote:He stopped being relevant after the Saiyan saga which was always really dissapointing to me. I liked Chiaotsu, and i always wanted to know more about him. Is he human? Why does he look like a clown? How old is he? Will he ever get a girlfriend? At least Yamcha kept appearing in Super and even had an episode dedicated to him (the baseball one). Did Chiaotsu even talk in Dragon Ball Super? I know he appeared in some episodes but i don't remember him talking.
You know...I seriously giggled when I read "is he a human? Why does he look like a clown. Will he ever get a girlfriend

Dude's clown design seems more like joker reference.

He's to Tien as what Krill's been to Goku....uh I know it sounds weird, but actually a waifu

Chiaotzu really cares for Tien

Dafuq he needs a waifu. Where is he gonna find a girlfriend or wife? Like its not Bleach we're talkin about where we got 50+ weird looking masked gangstas lurking around & Chaotzu can pick one...

I really wish Toriyama utilized him better cuz his role & character in 22nd TB was.....eerie & mysterious to the core

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:02 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:If they'd done some more focus on his psychic powers being different from ki powers so-to-speak, and given him more neat tricks to do with them, then that could have made him stand out more.
For the record, Ki powers throughout Wuxia lore DO indeed grant fighters all the same psychic-like abilities that Chaozu demonstrates: from telekinesis to even limited mind reading (which we see both Goku and Muten Roshi do in the series). Telekinesis in particular is one of the most common and basic forms of Ki manipulation across all Wuxia fiction, even much more so than energy blasts.

I'm not entirely knocking your idea mind you: just having Chaozu be a fighter who specifically relies on/specializes in a fighting style where telekinesis is his front and center main focus would in and of itself do quite a LOT to make him stand out as a fighter from the others. But you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to "differentiate" its nature/origins from Ki, since its such a common and baked-in part of Ki manipulation throughout both Dragon Ball and general Wuxia media already.
Very true, and I could have phrased that a lot better. Generally speaking, the psychic powers in DB are never really presented any differently from ki techniques in-series, even when they're met with surprise by other characters (I'd assume that's more so a case of 'oh shit, this guy can DO that?' rather than full-on surprise that the skills exist?). It was very much more in the vein of having Chiaotzu focus on that style of fighting to help him stand out more that I was referring to.

I guess in a sad way, part of it could be attributed to the power creep that certainly began to take more and more of a hold in the series once the 'Z' portion arrived. Even with that though, at least Tenshinhan and Kuririn both got moments to do things in the Androids arc (Yamcha too, to...some...degree?) even after having 'peaked' during the Saiyan/Freeza material, whereas Chiaotzu basically stopped doing anything but sideline commentary after Nappa. He was introduced at the same time as Tenshinhan but Ten at least got to do stuff despite the power creep, so I can't put the blame solely on that either though.
His design isn't based on a clown's: he's modeled after Jiangshi, a type of Chinese vampire (who feed off of a person's Ki rather than their blood to survive) commonplace throughout Chinese horror and folklore, including throughout Wuxia/martial arts fantasy fiction.
If Chaozu WERE established within DB as a full-on Jiangshi, that'd certainly make for yet ANOTHER way to differentiate him as a fighter apart from the psychic stuff: making him able to suck/siphon Ki from his opponents to make himself stronger.
I was aware of the Jiangshi inspirations, and was aware that they were a type of vampire, but somehow I'd never heard about the feeding off of ki before. That's really interesting.

...I guess if he were actually a Jiangshi, it could help explain for some how Tenshinhan never manages to surpass Kuririn, despite training nigh-constantly. :lol: Guess he really should've been training with someone else after all.
Twitter

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 am

I really doubt it and besides, did he ever really do anything important in the series?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am

Well, the fact that he's actually weaker than Yamcha doesn't really help much :P

Then again, he's been training with Tien all this time and Yamcha hasn't, this isn't even certain, lol

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:45 am

Even against Nappa his signature technique of the stomach paralysis was outright stated to not work, meaning the power creep overpowers his technique at that stage in the story.