Your Personal Canon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Your Personal Canon

Post by TobyS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 am

An approximation of DR slump. Minus like god not being kami and maybe some top end feats..

Jack DB-

DB Manga with Kanzenban ending sans Vegetas I will defeat Kakkarot rant. Including those weird side chapters with baby Piccolo and stuff.

Yo!Son Goku (thanks to Broly mentioning Tarble again)

DB Super Manga incl. RoF promo chapter stopping before Base Goku vs Freeza.

Broly Movie

A loose approximation of Fighter Z (no resurrected villains, 21 summoning Porunga on Namek to do so) maybe just better clones who think they are the original, no Ginyus as they never came to earth.

Xenoverse 1 and 2 (with Bardock without non canon future visions from the intro cut scene)

Maybe an approximation of the SDBH Universe manga.

Whatever interview tidbits and DBonline not retconned out.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:05 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Cooler's Revenge
History of Trunks
Bojack Unbound
Wrath of the Dragon
Dragon Ball GT
Hero's Legacy
I'm with this guy. DB, (but not the 3 movies), Z, (excluding Garlic Jr), those 13 movies, Bardock, and GT. Dead Zone happens right before Raditz. Wheelo and Tullece happen right after Vegeta before everyone leaves for Namek. Slug happens right after Freeza, and both Coolas happen right around Trunks. 13 happens during the android saga right before cell. Broly 1 takes place in the time leading up to the cell games. Bojack and Broly 2 happen during the timeskip. Paikuhan is canon here too. Bio Broly around the Saiyaman saga. Gogeta movie I find hard to place smack dab in Boo so I'm not sure. And Tapion happens right after kid boo. GT follows End of Z.

EDIT:

In more seriousness. I can see a 3 way split canon. Core canon is the 42 tankobon. Then there are two splits. One split is the 13 movies, possibly including Path to Power, almost as a replacement for the series, which is followed by GT. The other canon is a modern one, with jaco, minus, and bardock, which is followed by super.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:24 am

For me it's 4 separate canons for the manga (including the Bardock TV special), the original three anime series (excluding anything connecting to the movies and including the TV specials), the original movies and everything past 2008. I'm having trouble accepting the current stories as a legit continuation, I like them as a separate canon though

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 am

For my Canon that makes the most sense, I would say:
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga) -> DB manga chapters 1 - 517 -> “Yo! Son Goku and his friends return” (TV Special) -> DB Super manga chapters 1 - 4 -> DBZ: Resurrection ‘F’(film) -> DB Super manga chapters 5 - 42 -> DB Super: Broly(film) -> DB Super manga chapters 43 - x

For my Canon that takes some extra explaining to do, but is the most enjoyable:
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga) -> DB Recut(anime) -> DBZ Kai (Episodes 1 - 98 + History of Trunks) -> DBZ Kai TFC (Episodes 1 - 67) -> “Yo! Son Goku and his friends return"(Tv Special) -> Battle of Gods (film) -> DBZ: Resurrection ‘F’(film) -> DB Super episodes 28 - 131 -> DB Super: Broly.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Updated Canon:

Galactic Patrol Manga
Sachie-chan Guu!!
Jiya
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Bardock stories
Dragon Ball Minus: The Departure of the Fated Child
Dragon Ball Super: Broly Prologue
Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock (Only here because it fits with DBO which I consider canon)

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Manga (Chapters 1-519 Kanzenban Release)
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
Nekomajin Z

Dragon Ball Super (An Approximation)
Battle of Gods Movie (with elements of the anime and manga of Beerus exploring planets)
Resurrection "F" Anime Adaptation
Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary Special Manga
U6 Tournament with elements of both anime & manga (as in Goku uses both SSJG and SSJBK in the Hit fight)
Future Trunks Arc with elements of both anime & manga (SSJ Black, SSJG Vegeta, SSJRage Future Trunks, Completed SSJB)
ToP with elements of both anime & manga (mostly anime style ToP, but with some Pseudo-UI Roshi added in, maybe Gohan gets to fight Kefla as well, but she still loses to UIO Goku)
Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc
Any interlude arcs in Super anime (Potafeu, Watagash, Hit part 2, Illusion Forest, Pre-ToP Exhibition Match and Assassins)
Manga GoD Battle Royale

Dragon Ball Online
Prologue and original story + concepts introduced in DBO
Elements of Xenoverse (Time Patrol more fleshed out)
Elements of SDBH (Only the new Time Breaker/Demon Realm Characters introduced, Time Kaioshin's Development + Xeno Counterparts, and any new World Mission Characters)
DB Legends (Original Characters only)
DB Fusions (Original Characters only)

Supplements
In the Name of Piccolo Daimaō
High Pride! The Saiya Prince Vegeta
The Lonely Future Warrior!! Trunks
Direct Toriyama Statements

Other Toriyama Manga
Tomato, Girl Detective
Pola & Roid
Escape
Pink
Go! Go! Ackman
Oishii Shima no U-sama
Toccio the Angel
Sand Land
Dub & Peter 1

Other Material
The Yardrat Saga from DBZ: Sagas (The game was terrible, but I like the idea of Goku fighting and training with Soba, the strongest warrior on Yardrat)
Dragon Ball V.R.V.S.
That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha
Dragon Ball FighterZ (approximation of story without the artificial souls and waves that make people weaker)
The concept of Golden Oozaru and SSJ4 transformations being viable
The concept of the Five-Way Fusion as seen in Dragon Ball Fusions
The concept of a space-time tournament idea as seen in DB Legends and DB Fusions, but executed in a different fashion
Last edited by Almighty Majin on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Almighty Majin wrote:Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock (Only here because it fits with DBO)
Mind to explain?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mind to explain?
Mainly because DBO has the concept of Bardock being saved from Freeza's blast by the Time Breakers in which we later on get Masked Saiyan Bardock as seen in DBO. It's really just a way to help explain Bardock being sent back in time while also showing him get stronger as well.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Almighty Majin wrote:Mainly because DBO has the concept of Bardock being saved from Freeza's blast by the Time Breakers in which we later on get Masked Saiyan Bardock as seen in DBO. It's really just a way to help explain Bardock being sent back in time while also showing him get stronger as well.
Then you consider XV2's way in reality. It is in Xenoverse that Bardock is first sent to the past and then is captured.

Not only Dragon Ball Online came out before the existence of Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock, even if it had come out after the release of the OVA the game would still ignore it as it takes place in manga's continuity, ignoring everything else. Also, Bardock himself states that he was saved from Freeza's attack without any further mention of his time travelling/Chilled (I know the only explanation is the one I already stated above, an out-universe one). The implication is that Bardock became a Time Breaker right after being saved, no in-between events occurred.

Obviously, you can most certainly consider that Bardock was first sent to the past and then is captured just fine, that is exactly what happens Xenoverse 2. But when it comes to just Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock, I don't think we can say both fit with one another.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm

To be honest, with the new modern Dragon Ball content coming out, it is becoming hard to create a personal timeline for oneself as most of us don't even know what to think about Dragon Ball Super or all the other material that has been released since the original anime. However, it is also fun to share your preferred way of watching/reading the series and I'm no exception to that.

Looking through these forums, I love all the different and some similar ways people look at Dragon Ball Canon and all the input on everything happening with DB.

Enough chatting from me though, here we go, my personal canon/ timeline for the Manga timeline

Manga
  • Dragon Ball Minus/ DBS: Broly Opening
  • Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman
  • Dr. Slump
  • Dragon Ball Manga (Chapter 1-517)
  • Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and His Friends Return!
  • Dream 9 Crossover Special: Toriko × One Piece × Dragon Ball Z — Super Collaboration Special!!
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie: Battle of Gods (Extended Edition with some scenes from DBS such as Goku's So Strong Speech)
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie: Resurrection F (Including the Dragon Ball: Volume “F” interview)
  • Dragon Ball Super: Universe 6 vs Universe 7 Tournament Arc (Anime version up till Goku vs Hit, then an amalgam of Anime/Manga with SSG instead of Blue Kaio-Ken)
  • Dragon Ball Super: Episode 43 Goku's "Ki" is out of control?! Looking after Pan is A lot of Trouble
  • Dragon Ball Super: Episode 69, 71-76 (Nine Weeks of Peace)
  • Dragon Ball Super: Universe Survival Arc/Tournament of Power
  • Dragon Ball Super: Broly The Movie
  • Dragon Ball Manga (Chapter 518 & 519 Kanzenban)
  • Neko Majin/ Z

I really don't count the Goku Black/Future Trunks arc as part of my personal canon, or as Toriyama's story for that matter, as that arc felt more cooperate and forced upon Toriyama rather than him having the idea for it, and even when he presented his version it didn't stop Toei and Toyotaro from changing it up and adding in fan service with Vegetto than Toriyama's original idea of Goku and Vegeta working together to overcome Zamasu as Whis tried to teach them earlier. And I know that the dream crossover isn't apart of Toriyama's original story, but I just think it fits so perfectly into the manga timeline that I thought, oh well, and the crossover is the first time we see everyone in the outfits they'll be wearing in Dragon Ball Super. I also included the Nine weeks of peace filler and the Pan episode from Dragon Ball Super because episode 43 shows us the beginning of Goku and Pan's close family bond that we see by the end of the manga and Anime and the Nine Weeks because of how fun the episodes are from Goku and Arale reuniting, Great Saiyaman, Goku and Kuririn, etc.

Then here's my personal canon when it comes to if I had control of what I wanted in DB and wanted to be selfish with it.

Anime Canon
  • Dragon Ball Minus & Dragon Ball Z: A Final, Solitary Battle: The Father of Z-Warrior Kakarrot, Who Challenged Freeza (An amalgam of the two beginning with the Minus story and Bardock sending Kakarot away before it transitions into the TV Special story minus (No pun intended) Baby Goku)
  • Dragon Ball 10th anniversary film: The Path to Ultimate Strength
  • Dragon Ball Movie 2: The Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
  • Dragon Ball Movie 3: A Mystical Great Adventure
  • Dragon Ball: Piccolo Daimao- ending of DB anime
  • Dragon Ball Z: Saiyan Conflict Arc
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Namek Arc
  • Dragon Ball Z TV Special: Defiance in the Face of Despair!! The Remaining Super-Warriors: Gohan and Trunks
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 5: The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Artifical Humans Arc
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 8: Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight
  • Dragon Ball Z: Cell Games
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 9: The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy
  • Dragon Ball Kai Episode 98: Peace For the Future! The Spirit of Goku is Forever!
  • Dragon Ball Z: Ano Yo-ichi Budoukai
  • Dragon Ball Z: High School- 26th Tenkaichi Budokai
  • Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Buu Arc
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 13: “Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Can't Do It, Who Will?!”
  • Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!
  • Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
  • Dragon Ball Kai: End of Z
  • Dragon Ball GT Anime
  • Dragon Ball GT: Goku’s Side Story! The Proof of his Courage is the Four-Star Ball
Yeah, that looks good enough, It might look weird but oh well. That's how I like to look at my selfish timeline. Thanks for reading. :wave: :lol: