Do you think Dragon Ball Evolution is the Worst Movie Ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Do you think Dragon Ball Evolution is the Worst Movie Ever?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:48 pm

I seen DBE be put on many worst movies list and it is currently at IMDB's bottom 100 at #20. I do think Dragon Ball Evolution is a bad movie, but I don't think it is the worst movie ever made. Sure, it is awful and it is not faithful to the source material, but I think there are way worse movies out there. I'm not talking about movies that were on MST3k because most of those are enjoyable for the trash factor. I do think DBE has a cheesy bad movie charm to it because how bad the movie is in my opinion. This movie can be fun for a bad movie night as a double feature of the Double Dragon movie if you have enough beer and weed.

Not to mention, DBE had no expectations because everyone was hating on it before it came out. Even the people who never seen Dragon Ball or know about it thought the movie looked awful. It's not like anyone was hoping that DBE was going to be good. I also feel like movies like the Transformers live action movies, 2012, The Mummy (2017), Independence Day: Resurgence, Peral Harbor, the 2015 Fantastic Four movie and several other movies are worse in my opinion. At least DBE is short and has a low budget cheesy feel to it while those movies are too long, loud and obnoxious to sit through. The Transformers live action movies are just ugly to look at and are filled with bad jokes, dull action scenes and take themselves way too serious. I would rather watch DBE again than sit through Transformers 1-3 (I never saw the 4th and 5th movie) again.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball Evolution is the Worst Movie Ever?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:00 am

No. It’s a bad movie but it’s not the worst movie ever.

I think the only people calling it the worst are butthurt dbz fanbois

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:49 am

Not really. It may be awful but not the worst. It's not Tommy Wiseau's The Room, it's just a failed Dragon Ball adaptation. That's all.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 am

ID:R was good. Sure, it was cheesy and ridiculous, but so was the original. It definitely doesn't deserve all of the hate it gets.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:29 am

lol, hell no. not even close really. its a stupid adaption for sure, but its just that, just some stupid anime live action film. not on the level of a lot Infamously bad films, and hell, just personally, id prob watch over some of my least favorite movies lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 am

Absolutely not.

Dragon Ball Evolution is trash, don't get me wrong about that, but there are MANY movies that are objectively worse than it on every level and you don't have to look far to find them.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:53 am

You're being quite over dramatic calling DBE the 'worst ever'. This isn't YouTube, Twitter or BuzzFeed. lol

The movie itself wasn't very good but I gave it a second watch with the Japanese dub and it really enhanced the experience a lot, loved the Japanese VA. No, Masako Nozawa didn't voice Son Goku in DBE.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:04 am

Not really. There are so many other films that are worse on technical and artistic levels. The worst crime of which Dragonball Evolution is guilty is not believing in its source material, instead making a film that tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator and comes off as bland and uninspired as a result.

That isn't to say that making changes is inherently bad - tons of adaptations make changes and are still great films. The 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll, Devil in a Blue Dress, Starship Troopers, the lit's goes on. They're not necessarily better or worse than their sources (that's up to the viewer to decide), but they're great films in their own right that make changes for artistic reasons.

With that said, to what end does Dragonball Evolution make its changes? To appeal to as large a market as possible and nothing more. That's the frustrating thing about Evolution - it's clear that hardly anyone involved in this production had any artistic drive when working on this thing. James Marsters was the only one, and his involvement did seem to help improve the film, if only marginally. However, the biggest creative forces on this film seem to be guys in suits paying too much attention to their focus groups and creatives that are in it more for the paycheck than making a decent movie, and it certainly shows with the final product. They made Goku into Spider-Man, Bulma into Laura Croft, threw in the leftover jokes that even 2000s era Funimation junked, and ended up with a trend chasing piece of cinematic failure that occasionally looks like Dragon Ball if you squint really hard. In other words, Hollywood filmmaking at its... most typical, I guess?

The worst movie ever though? Nah. Take a look at The Man Who Saves the World (aka Turkish Star Wars) and the whole industry of awfully put together knockoffs of which it was a part and then we'll talk. Hell, any Pure Flix film is probably worse, because those tend to propogate some pretty reprehensible messages that even piss off a lot of Christians (or so I hear, and I also hear that a lot of Christians eat those films up, so make of that what you will). When talking about "Worst Films Ever," I don't think DBE even deserves to be a part of the conversation.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 am

It's a bad movie, but nowhere as bad as most people say.
DB fanbase is just butthurted that DBE wasn't direct ripoff and tried to do things different. I always appreciate that and i actually liked idea of Goku being a teenager. I also liked Chichi in this movie. She was great. DBE had some interesting ideas, but execution was awful.

One of the worst movies? Not even close.
In fact, DBE doesn't seem to be that bad compared to Death Note from Netflix if you ask me. That was REALLY bad movie.

I hope that someday people will realize that making a movie faithful to original DB is impossible.
Small boy with hair like Goku would look stupid.
People are biased, proven by a fact that people call DBE game for PSP a bad game yet they are praising Shin Budokai while Evolution is mostly the same game but with movie characters and story :roll:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 am

I've never seen it but I think it's safe to say among the thousands of movies made, there are at least 100 that are worse if not more.
sunsetshimmer wrote:I hope that someday people will realize that making a movie faithful to original DB is impossible.
With how advanced tech has become I think it's very possible to make a live action movie series that's close to Toriyama's original manga. It just needs a studio willing to spend the $$$ and a director who respects the source material.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:09 am

I don't think its a bad movie at all. But I also appreciate the first Street Fighter movie and the Avatar The Last Airbender movie so everyone under 25 or maybe 30 will automatically disregard my opinion anyway.

Evolution took what they saw what Dragon Ball was liked for mainly: The Z portion. So they took a maturing Goku instead of risking a 12 year old not to appeal to a general audience and combined it with some early plot points of the first 17 vols. They took Piccolo but took the young one - who in my opinion could have easily worked with just a cape added and instead of gloves his long nailed fingers visible. They skipped Pilaf and took Mai and since they had no idea how to bring in the cheesiness of Roshi's Island and all they just made a futuristic city and made the island an old house on a pseudo-island within that city because "everything around that house was obviously destroyed". The Capsules had a very interesting take but the whole Oozaru thing was unnecessary. Saying "Namekians" are bad could have led to an interesting storyline that in a sequel woud have revealed that the Namekians are not bad at all.

It had a few interesting concepts. I do not want a noseless Kuririn in a life-action movie.

I think what is truly embarassing is how MasakoX and Doug Walker and Little Kuriboh bashed the movie and what is even worse is that the creator of the movie apologized for it as well as that Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum bashed the movie. You can dislike whatver you want but take your own work with some honor.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 am

Cetra wrote:I don't think its a bad movie at all. But I also appreciate the first Street Fighter movie and the Avatar The Last Airbender movie so everyone under 25 or maybe 30 will automatically disregard my opinion anyway.
i mean, the street fighter movie is a pretty stupid, but still enjoyable action movie. for the most part so bad its good cinema fans kinda annoy me, but i can def see how ppl get enjoyment from that movie lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 am

Tian wrote:Not really. It may be awful but not the worst. It's not Tommy Wiseau's The Room, it's just a failed Dragon Ball adaptation. That's all.
Actually The Room is so bad that it's "good" for a lot of people.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:41 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:You're being quite over dramatic calling DBE the 'worst ever'. This isn't YouTube, Twitter or BuzzFeed. lol

The movie itself wasn't very good but I gave it a second watch with the Japanese dub and it really enhanced the experience a lot, loved the Japanese VA. No, Masako Nozawa didn't voice Son Goku in DBE.
Um...way to not actually read OP's post :|
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:22 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:You're being quite over dramatic calling DBE the 'worst ever'. This isn't YouTube, Twitter or BuzzFeed. lol

Um...way to not actually read OP's post :|
And way for him to make a clickbait title.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Tian wrote:Not really. It may be awful but not the worst. It's not Tommy Wiseau's The Room, it's just a failed Dragon Ball adaptation. That's all.
This and Troll 2 might be among the worst movies ever made.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:18 pm

It's one of those "so bad, it's good" movies if you try to get past the insult it is to the series. Chatwin's acting cracks me up every time.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm

As someone has seen countless low budget horror movies from several different decades I can say absolutely not. It's just very boring and largely forgettable.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm

The worst film, by itself? No. As an adaptation? It certainly tries. Right there with Last Airbender (though, at least the cast in that had costumes that looked the part, if nothing else). Which reminds me that a live action Avatar series is now in the works for Netflix, but the original creators will actually be involved...

Anyway, yeah. Its bad, no doubt. But far from the worst out there.

But I will say, I was expecting it to be bad before I watched it, and I was still mad at how bad it was after. I couldn't even enjoy it in a "so bad its good" kind of way either.

Barring the Dragon Balls themselves, the names, and James Marsters' King Piccolo, it was another generic teen movie with some "fight" scenes thrown in.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 pm

People say the Tekken 2010 movie is "The Worst Movie Ever!!" too but I kinda like it, especially due to its cast and the score is really good. DBE is like that for me too.

Saying "worst ____ ever" sorta invalidates one's point right from the start, just not a good commence to begin a thread or review.