Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:I don't understand why it "hurts" people so much for wanting this. Not saying you are insisting this it's just a general feel I've seen over the years on this topic.
It'd be great to have a wide selection of dubs available, but unfortunately there's only so much space on the disc!

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:I don't understand why it "hurts" people so much for wanting this. Not saying you are insisting this it's just a general feel I've seen over the years on this topic.
It'd be great to have a wide selection of dubs available, but unfortunately there's only so much space on the disc!
I was more referring to people complaining about the fact that the FUNimation audio is an option. The remastered orange bricks did this and the only difference from being a perfect release is the cropping and colors, it is deffo possible.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:53 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I was more referring to people complaining about the fact that the FUNimation audio is an option. The remastered orange bricks did this and the only difference from being a perfect release is the cropping and colors, it is deffo possible.
Well what you're asking for is basically four different audio tracks: Japanese dialogue with Kikuchi music, Japanese dialogue with Falcouner music, English dialogue with Kikuchi music and English dialogue with Falcouner music, which is a lot of audio data. The second of that is impossible anyway considering the best sources from Japan are stereo at best (at least as far as I'm aware), so replacing the music would be impossible in the first place.

IMO though there's no excuse why this isn't an option when viewing the show On Demand because you don't have the storage limitations of the disc itself.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
KBABZ wrote: It'd be great to have a wide selection of dubs available, but unfortunately there's only so much space on the disc!
Well what you're asking for is basically four different audio tracks: Japanese dialogue with Kikuchi music, Japanese dialogue with Falcouner music, English dialogue with Kikuchi music and English dialogue with Falcouner music, which is a lot of audio data. The second of that is impossible anyway considering the best sources from Japan are stereo at best (at least as far as I'm aware), so replacing the music would be impossible in the first place.

IMO though there's no excuse why this isn't an option when viewing the show On Demand because you don't have the storage limitations of the disc itself.
Oh I see what's going on, I didn't mean Japanese Dialogue with FUNimation music. I just mean the 3 classics. Japanese dialogue with Japanese Score, English dialogue with Japanese Score and English Dialogue with FUNimation score.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: I was more referring to people complaining about the fact that the FUNimation audio is an option. The remastered orange bricks did this and the only difference from being a perfect release is the cropping and colors, it is deffo possible.
Oh I see what's going on, I didn't mean Japanese Dialogue with FUNimation music. I just mean the 3 classics. Japanese dialogue with Japanese Score, English dialogue with Japanese Score and English Dialogue with FUNimation score.
Ahh okay. Yeah I think that should be the "default" type of release if a dub previously used alternate music from Kikuchi, as I appreciated that option a lot when watching the GT Green Bricks.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
KBABZ wrote: It'd be great to have a wide selection of dubs available, but unfortunately there's only so much space on the disc!

Japanese with FUNimation music? That's not even possible and if it was, it would be a horrible combination. Faulconer's score is nowhere near as good as the original by Kikuchi.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 am

KBABZ wrote:The second of that is impossible anyway considering the best sources from Japan are stereo at best (at least as far as I'm aware), so replacing the music would be impossible in the first place.
Correct me if I'm wrong KBABZ but didn't kei actually somewhat succeed in doing just that at least once (I distinctly remember him having a video on his channel where he showcased a clip of the Japanese version of the Bardock TV special with Kikuchi music (mostly) removed and replaced with the Faulconer score).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: I was more referring to people complaining about the fact that the FUNimation audio is an option. The remastered orange bricks did this and the only difference from being a perfect release is the cropping and colors, it is deffo possible.

Japanese with FUNimation music? That's not even possible and if it was, it would be a horrible combination. Faulconer's score is nowhere near as good as the original by Kikuchi.
If you bothered to read the entire post you just quoted, you would have seen that I pointed out that it was practically impossible.
superrayman3 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:The second of that is impossible anyway considering the best sources from Japan are stereo at best (at least as far as I'm aware), so replacing the music would be impossible in the first place.
Correct me if I'm wrong KBABZ but didn't kei actually somewhat succeed in doing just that at least once (I distinctly remember him having a video on his channel where he showcased a clip of the Japanese version of the Bardock TV special with Kikuchi music (mostly) removed and replaced with the Faulconer score).
Interesting! There are audio-replacement software out there, but they usually leave obvious signs of tampering in the sound. I imagine having the Funimation 5.1 surround mix would have helped a lot with that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am

seriously about spain even if i can be wrong of course i really think that it will look be DNR one, and even what enigmo did himself at home is far better (please don't comment about enigmo 's video it's just the only sharpened video not perfect but without DNR i have find on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6TZJoFKng
i am pretty sure it will be uscale with DNR so even what a random guy can do almost correctly with a sharpening filter will look far better

about a supposed Toei remaster out in spain i don't really think Toei will provide HD remaster that they didn't released before (as their release are FAR costly than any european release)
so 2 way:
- 1 (the more evident to me) it will be an upscale with DNR
- 2 they allways have uncut film print and have remastered it properly

seriously judging by the photo i have the same feeling as when i have seen saint seiya HD bluray .

other things: when a true HD scan are made, you have lot of screenshots, trailer, clip use to promote the things but each time it was DNR upscale, you only have commercials words to rely

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:14 am

KBABZ wrote: Interesting! There are audio-replacement software out there, but they usually leave obvious signs of tampering in the sound. I imagine having the Funimation 5.1 surround mix would have helped a lot with that.
If I'm not wrong, the "Japanese voices with Faulconer score" video in question was of Vegeta's suicide attack against Boo. That scene had no music in the Japanese version, so it would have been a simple matter of slapping the Faulconer track on top of the original audio.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Interesting! There are audio-replacement software out there, but they usually leave obvious signs of tampering in the sound. I imagine having the Funimation 5.1 surround mix would have helped a lot with that.
If I'm not wrong, the "Japanese voices with Faulconer score" video in question was of Vegeta's suicide attack against Boo. That scene had no music in the Japanese version, so it would have been a simple matter of slapping the Faulconer track on top of the original audio.
Huh, yeah that would make sense (especially with the habits FUNimation had when mixing Falcouner's music into the show at the time).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

Hypothetical music nonsense aside, DB is the series I want to see in HD the most. So, if this is indeed a Toei HD master, which is now proven to be going to foreign licensors very quickly, I am pumped as hell.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Hypothetical music nonsense aside, DB is the series I want to see in HD the most. So, if this is indeed a Toei HD master, which is now proven to be going to foreign licensors very quickly, I am pumped as hell.
I want to watch Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and the Movies/Specials properly remastered in high definition as much as the next guy but at this point it's better to rely on TOEI to deliver it. Selecta Visión does a vastly better job of remastering series than FUNimation but it's still somewhat of a mixed-bag.

I'd not mind importing these Dragon Ball Blu-rays if Selecta Visión actually reaches the standards of TOEI's HD DBZ Movies/Special(s).

There's still the issue that the Japanese audio will be the muffled version but can't do much about that. I'm surprised that TOEI is finally allowing Western distributors to do what they want with the series, but if using OBA audios (unlikely) then they may have to ask TOEI for authorization, just so they're all aware of their actions.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:45 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm surprised that TOEI is finally allowing Western distributors to do what they want with the series
Well, I think the existence of the original FUNi dub shows that Toei has a pretty wide tolerance regarding what other companies do when they license their properties to them.

But I get what you mean, they've been hesitant in the past to share some of the footage they've produced regarding classic Dragon Ball.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I want to watch Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and the Movies/Specials properly remastered in high definition as much as the next guy but at this point it's better to rely on TOEI to deliver it. Selecta Visión does a vastly better job of remastering series than FUNimation but it's still somewhat of a mixed-bag.

I'd not mind importing these Dragon Ball Blu-rays if Selecta Visión actually reaches the standards of TOEI's HD DBZ Movies/Special(s).
Again, it's quite likely that they've imported a Toei HD master. Either that, or it's just an upscale. Given the talk of negotiating with Toei, probably the former.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:There's still the issue that the Japanese audio will be the muffled version but can't do much about that. I'm surprised that TOEI is finally allowing Western distributors to do what they want with the series, but if using OBA audios (unlikely) then they may have to ask TOEI for authorization, just so they're all aware of their actions.
I don't think Selectavision have the broadcast audio. I believe only Funimation have it at this time. However, if Selectavision did have it, there'd be no reason for them to be unable to use it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'd not mind importing these Dragon Ball Blu-rays if Selecta Visión actually reaches the standards of TOEI's HD DBZ Movies/Special(s).
Again, it's quite likely that they've imported a Toei HD master. Either that, or it's just an upscale. Given the talk of negotiating with Toei, probably the former.[/quote]
It's hard to tell from that screenshot, but it looks a tad better than what we'd expect from an upscale.

Selecta Visión's prices for Blu-ray and DVD releases are typically well priced and they're getting a lot of free exposure thanks to their announcement of Dragon Ball being remastered on Blu-ray. Let's hope they don't let the fans down nor themselves.

Fingers crossed they don't FUNimation it up somehow. :P

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Fingers crossed they don't FUNimation it up somehow. :P
Toei's own releases have their own fair share of problems too like the Kai green tinting, censoring the middle fingers in the theatrical films, poor Japanese voice quality ect.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm

ZodaEX wrote:Kai green tinting
One instance, and it isn't even that bad(The internet was abuzz with "oh it's been fixed" when TFC started airing on Adult Swim, for Christ's sake), especially when compared with the crap Funi pulls.
ZodaEX wrote:censoring the middle fingers in the theatrical films
Indeed. Most unforgivable. However, the Amazon masters look better and are free of this problem, so... Maybe Funi will make the right choice for once and go with the better masters. :think:
ZodaEX wrote:poor Japanese voice quality ect.
Okay, that is and isn't Toei's fault in a modern sense.
It isn't Toei's fault, because all they have is the poor quality audio for DB and Z, so the guys putting together the releases have no control over that factor.
It is Toei's fault, because they're unapproachable about giving them better audio and have never reached out about it, and for some damn fool reason they didn't use the high-quality masters of GT's audio they have.

TBH, both Toei and Funi suck. It's just a question of who sucks less in any given situation, and us hoping and praying whichever one is in question at the time doesn't drop the ball again in a particular way.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:TBH, both Toei and Funi suck. It's just a question of who sucks less in any given situation, and us hoping and praying whichever one is in question at the time doesn't drop the ball again in a particular way.
Debatable honorable mention: not giving Funi any translated scripts back in the day. If that claim is true, it makes me wonder what DBZ would be like in the west (hopefully more faithful?), and how the fandom in the west would be different as a result.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:52 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:TBH, both Toei and Funi suck. It's just a question of who sucks less in any given situation, and us hoping and praying whichever one is in question at the time doesn't drop the ball again in a particular way.
Debatable honorable mention: not giving Funi any translated scripts back in the day. If that claim is true, it makes me wonder what DBZ would be like in the west (hopefully more faithful?), and how the fandom in the west would be different as a result.
There's a panel you can find where Ian Corlett explains that, while writing scripts for BLT DB, they had some trouble with one particular scene and phoned up a guy from Toei of Japan to ask about it, and he very helpfully explained what was going on.

This, combined with the fact the BLT dub was pretty definitely based off of solid translations(Honestly, if it wasn't for the -- surprisingly minor -- censorship, it'd be Pioneer-level accuracy, pretty much), ditto for the Saban dub, and given what we saw with the Pioneer dub... I think it was just a case of Funi cheaping out and being incompetent, and even where they did get workable scripts somehow, their script adapting team always screwed it the hell up, beyond recognition; case in point: GT. Clearly based off of a solid translation, but rewritten and revised into something entirely different, and unspeakably worse, regardless of your thoughts on GT itself.