Should I let my 9 year old watch DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should I let my 9 year old watch DBZ?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:10 pm

It wasnt syndicated by the point it got to Sailor Moon S which has said lesbianism. I thought you of all people would know that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It wasnt syndicated by the point it got to Sailor Moon S which has said lesbianism. I thought you of all people would know that.
It’s okay that you didn’t know, but the original dub we had in the 90s censored Uranus’ and Neptune’s relationship heavily. They stated they were cousins and removed pretty much any romantic scenes between the two.

It wasn’t the first time either, as they turned (I think) Zoicite into a woman who was a gay man in the original

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:36 pm

^The first gay male villain turned female was done when the show was syndicated. The lesbian Scouts into cousins and second gay male villain to female was under Toonami.

Not that it matters as it would have happened regardless of if it was syndicated or on a network. Putting gay characters on programs aimed at an older/broader audience was risky then. The studio for Xena Warrior Princess told the people in charge of the show not to make Xena and Gabrielle girlfriends to avoid losing sponsors and ratings. And Willow and Tara on Buffy were a lot less physically affectionate on screen compared to the straight couples until the show moved to UPN

In addition to Sailor Moon Toonami also edited a gay character in Outlaw Star and in the edited version of Tenchi Muyo they made them redub a one off character with a stereotypical gay lisp and also a sapphic scene with Ayeka and Ryoko got edited to them “being best friends”

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Thank you MasenkoHa for speaking clearly for me. I suck at that.

But yeah. Sailor Moon was a syndie cartoon back when they censored Zoicite.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 am

It's a kids show.... He's like the ideal target demographic

ssj5

Post by ssj5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:48 pm

He has started watching DB, by the time he is finished (only watches during weekend) he will be 10 for DBZ, so I think by the time the BU saga starts he will be 11, then he will do DBGT and then DBS. He wanted to watch DBS because some kids watched it but I told him that is the correct order to watch it and agreed. I think I watched it around these ages myself until GT a couple years later when it came out in my country. I watched DBS in real time (japanese releases translated). I still haven't got into that small series one (Heroes), not really into very short episodes, I only watched a couple but I doubt it will develop into something remarkable.. I will watch it when I have the time tho hopefully the animation is decent. Still have to watch the Broly movie. Thanks for input.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm

ssj5 wrote:He has started watching DB, by the time he is finished (only watches during weekend) he will be 10 for DBZ, so I think by the time the BU saga starts he will be 11, then he will do DBGT and then DBS. He wanted to watch DBS because some kids watched it but I told him that is the correct order to watch it and agreed. I think I watched it around these ages myself until GT a couple years later when it came out in my country. I watched DBS in real time (japanese releases translated). I still haven't got into that small series one (Heroes), not really into very short episodes, I only watched a couple but I doubt it will develop into something remarkable.. I will watch it when I have the time tho hopefully the animation is decent. Still have to watch the Broly movie. Thanks for input.
He could honestly go from Z to Super and skip GT if he wanted to

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
ssj5 wrote:He has started watching DB, by the time he is finished (only watches during weekend) he will be 10 for DBZ, so I think by the time the BU saga starts he will be 11, then he will do DBGT and then DBS. He wanted to watch DBS because some kids watched it but I told him that is the correct order to watch it and agreed. I think I watched it around these ages myself until GT a couple years later when it came out in my country. I watched DBS in real time (japanese releases translated). I still haven't got into that small series one (Heroes), not really into very short episodes, I only watched a couple but I doubt it will develop into something remarkable.. I will watch it when I have the time tho hopefully the animation is decent. Still have to watch the Broly movie. Thanks for input.
You do miss out by skipping a series, though.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Eh. Super and GT are interchangeable sequels. He can watch Super and then go in watch GT. GT isn’t a requirement for Super

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: He could honestly go from Z to Super and skip GT if he wanted to
Eh. Super and GT are interchangeable sequels. He can watch Super and then go in watch GT. GT isn’t a requirement for Super
Yeah, but DB and Z were followed by GT. Super is very much the time-delayed sequel. Better to watch the original run as it was before jumping into the new material; close the book on the old, originally-intended experience before getting into the new stuff, otherwise you're kind of jumping around in clunky and weird ways that really don't flow into each-other.
Remember, Super's still ongoing. Jumping off the ongoing series to watch a conclusion to the original run that completely ignores the past 131 episodes + 1 movie you just saw? That's a pretty frustrating/unfulfilling way to watch, and it really doesn't flow or gel together in any meaningful way.

Meanwhile, finishing the original run with GT, then going back and seeing what happened in a gap you didn't see, which ends up branching off into its own, divergant story? That works pretty well.

Plus, GT is just 64 episodes, which works quite nicely as a coda to oldschool Dragon Ball, and it really does its own thing. Assuming you end up liking Super, and you finish episode 131 and the Broly movie still wanting more, GT really won't give you that, it'll be 64 episodes of something very different, and... Well, at best it'll hold you over as this weird, irrelevant side-story like the Garlic Jr. arc, but it really won't fill the void left by Super, and due to just how different and divergent Super and GT are from each-other, it really won't make for a good fill-in at any point.
And let's face it, when Super does eventually end, it's not going to end in a place that leaves things ideal to watch GT next, it'll set things up for a follow-up that's exactly like Super but takes place in the timeframe GT originally occupied, and it'll just make GT stick out even worse as a follow-up to the modern run.

If you're watching through the Dragon Ball franchise for your first time, you really are better off doing DB+Z+GT and then diving into Super and all the other still-ongoing material afterwards if you want more. It just works better for so many reasons.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.