Gogeta and Vegetto: Actual characters? Different characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Gogeta and Vegetto: Actual characters? Different characters?

Post by Zephyr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:53 am

I've been seeing this come up a lot lately, given that both fusions have been given new prominence in Super. Are Gogeta and Vegetto actual characters (whatever that means), or are they just combination-attacks/combat maneuvers, jointly performed by Goku and Vegeta?

If you consider them to be characters, would you say that they're the same character, on account of them having the same ingredients? Would you say that they're different characters, on account of them being formed by different methods?

Which one is better?

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Gogeta and Vegetto: Actual characters? Different characters?

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:18 am

I consider Gotenks to be an actual character (as in his own person), so I guess that same rule should apply to Vegetto and Gogeta as well. Neither of those adult fusions have as much "screentime" as Gotenks does though.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:28 am

I consider them to be unique characters. While Goku and Vegeta remember their time as one individual, it's worth noting that both use the term "I" rather than "we" when referring to themselves. And they certainly behave as a unique personality to me, similar to Gotenks.

Funnily enough, I thought this thread was going to be postulating whether Gogeta is simply Vegetto with a different haircut!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:39 am

KBABZ wrote:IFunnily enough, I thought this thread was going to be postulating whether Gogeta is simply Vegetto with a different haircut!
I am postulating that, sort of.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:51 am

KBABZ wrote:I consider them to be unique characters. While Goku and Vegeta remember their time as one individual, it's worth noting that both use the term "I" rather than "we" when referring to themselves. And they certainly behave as a unique personality to me, similar to Gotenks.

Funnily enough, I thought this thread was going to be postulating whether Gogeta is simply Vegetto with a different haircut!
I'd like to first see the latest movie for that assessment, but from what little I remember of Movie 12, Gogeta seemed a little more on the serious side, while Vegetto more cocky.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 am

Michsi wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I consider them to be unique characters. While Goku and Vegeta remember their time as one individual, it's worth noting that both use the term "I" rather than "we" when referring to themselves. And they certainly behave as a unique personality to me, similar to Gotenks.

I'd like to first see the latest movie for that assessment, but from what little I remember of Movie 12, Gogeta seemed a little more on the serious side, while Vegetto more cocky.
He was, but it was all a ruse to get himself absorbed. When he set his plan in motion right before Buu absorbed him, he got very serious.

Gogeta just had to win, because his friends weren't going to die from him killing Janemba like what wold have happened with Buu.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:52 am

While Gogeta/Vegetto are both very thin, broad characters (since they're both generally short-lived due to the Fusion's strict time constraints), I've always considered them separate, distinctly individual characters/identities from non-fused Goku and Vegeta. Generally speaking, most of Dragon Ball fandom (and indeed, the series itself) seems to regard the fusion characters as beings that are a wholly different identity from the two individual people whom they're made up from, and the Fusion characters themselves regard themselves as something different and set apart from their two component personalities.

Paraphrasing here since I don't have the manga or the anime on in front of me at the moment for the exact wording of the quote, but Vegetto kinda answers this question himself fairly directly: "If I'm a fusion of Kakarotto and Vegeta... I guess that makes me Vegetto."
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Michsi wrote:

He was, but it was all a ruse to get himself absorbed. When he set his plan in motion right before Buu absorbed him, he got very serious.

Gogeta just had to win, because his friends weren't going to die from him killing Janemba like what wold have happened with Buu.

I don't think the cocky attitude itself was a ruse, but either way Vegetto just seems more expressive. There was a lot more of Goku in him in his behavior, but I think that's true of Gogeta in DBS: Broly too, so who knows. All saiyan fusions seem to have more or less the same personality; Gotenks, Vegetto, Kefla are all cocky overconfidence given form.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:15 am

It depends on in which mood Toriyama-san and Toei are. Sometimes it seems like its treated as collective consciousness, sometimes it is seen as its own individual ego. Funimation and other dubs make it even more confusing with stuff like "We are Gogeta!"
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:48 am

Cetra wrote:Funimation and other dubs make it even more confusing with stuff like "We are Gogeta!"
Those shouldn't even be factored in as part of the equation to begin with.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:35 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Cetra wrote:Funimation and other dubs make it even more confusing with stuff like "We are Gogeta!"
Those shouldn't even be factored in as part of the equation to begin with.
I don't. Others do.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:36 am

I class them as being their own characters. Putting their awesomeness aside, I find both of them interesting because of the way they are similar yet different to Goku and Vegeta. I love how Vegito acts all cocky like Vegeta one minute and then all goofy like Goku the next. Him being absorbed deliberately was very clever and played very subtle by him, something I'm not sure either Goku or Vegeta would have thought of let alone pulled off.

Movie 12 Gogeta is also fun to watch because of his unique fighting style and no bullshit attitude. I love how he glides towards Janemba right before he attacks. And the Soul Punisher is a very unique move that you would never see Goku or Vegeta do alone because it wouldn't suit their style. Or at least it's unique aside from being similar to the Devimite wave from way back in OG DB.

Another question is can Movie 12 Gogeta and SS4 Gogeta from GT be considered the same character? The latter acts much more like Vegito for some reason.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:37 am

90sDBZ wrote:Him being absorbed deliberately was very clever and played very subtle by him, something I'm not sure either Goku or Vegeta would have thought of let alone pulled off.
I actually disagree there; it's a very clever tactic that I can absolutely see Goku doing (for example, making Piccolo Jr large enough to jump inside his mouth and recover Kami). It's not in Vegeta's playbook but certainly Goku's.
90sDBZ wrote:Another question is can Movie 12 Gogeta and SS4 Gogeta from GT be considered the same character? The latter acts much more like Vegito for some reason.
Ignoring continuity snarl, I would consider that to be a form of Gogeta. While he and Vegetto are individual characters, they are ultimately informed by their component characters at the time of their latest fusion. Now I'm not sure if Gogeta or Vegetto are ever aware of their past iterations (in Super, did Vegetto remember the last time he fought against Buu, or was he considered a fresh spawning of himself?). I think the best way to put it is that the fused being is a gestalt personality of the two individuals: both characters are at the helm and acting as one and in unison. It's both Goku and Vegeta acting as one person.

I guess this is best shown with Kibito Kai; he wanted to be defused into Kibito and Grand Kai, which hints at the feelings of the two individuals of the unknowning permanence of their fusion, because they would never have done it had they known that. If Kibito Kai was a directly "original" personality, they wouldn't have felt this way, or said things like "Hey this is awesome!" when first being fused, because that's Kibito and the Grand Kai talking about they experience they're having.

Now I doubt Toriyama or anyone in the Dragon Room have ever thought about it on that deep a level, but hey there you go.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:49 am

I've always wondered this myself. As stated earlier, we never get enough time with them to really say so definitively. I think Vegetto's plan to save the four inside of Boo certainly speaks volumes. He still had care for them instead of just blowing them away with Boo and using the Namekian Dragon Balls to bring them back.

I kind of wish the Goku Black arc didn't retcon Potara fusion into being temporary for mortals. That way, after the arc was over we could've had some slice of life episodes with Vegetto and could really see how he reacts towards Chi Chi, Bulma, the kids, Gohan, etc. while waiting to use the Dragon Balls to split him apart (which was shown to be possible in Super with Kaioshin and Kibito).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Beside the method of fusing and the look, the big reason to have Gogeta and Vegetto be different from each other is if there's a more dominant personality to each of the combinations.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:51 pm

ABED wrote:Beside the method of fusing and the look, the big reason to have Gogeta and Vegetto be different from each other is if there's a more dominant personality to each of the combinations.
And there doesnt really seem to be, especially considering the Broly movie. They always seemed to be equally as calculating (manipulating Shenron and Boo) and confident (why wouldnt they be). Gogeta's depiction in movie 12 is probably the most inconsistent any fusion has ever been (Personality wise) and that's only for two reasons, 1.Gogeta realized that the longer Janemba existed the more things would spin outta control and 2. Whom ever was behind the direction and writing in Movie thought it was a Good idea for Gogeta to only appear in the last five minutes of the movie for some reason, maybe the budget wasnt large enough to extend the fight. I can honestly see a similar moment where Gogeta dances around with Janemba only to have him become angry enough that he does some weird thing that further turns reality upside down but then Gogeta seizes the moment to reverse everything before destroying Janemba for good.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:27 pm

There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager where a transporter accident fused two characters into one. They even had a portmanteau name like a DBZ fusion. But the new character was a completely different person, and when the crew discovered how to reverse the process and split him back into the original two, he begged them not to do it because he didn't want to die. I wonder if Vegeto, Gotenks, or any other fusions ever have similar thoughts.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager where a transporter accident fused two characters into one. They even had a portmanteau name like a DBZ fusion. But the new character was a completely different person, and when the crew discovered how to reverse the process and split him back into the original two, he begged them not to do it because he didn't want to die. I wonder if Vegeto, Gotenks, or any other fusions ever have similar thoughts.
I doubt it, because they can be "reborn" any time they need to be. Maybe Vegetto would feel that way if all of the Potara were gone or something.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:12 am

KBABZ wrote:Now I'm not sure if Gogeta or Vegetto are ever aware of their past iterations (in Super, did Vegetto remember the last time he fought against Buu, or was he considered a fresh spawning of himself?).
Polyphase Avatron wrote:There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager where a transporter accident fused two characters into one. They even had a portmanteau name like a DBZ fusion. But the new character was a completely different person, and when the crew discovered how to reverse the process and split him back into the original two, he begged them not to do it because he didn't want to die. I wonder if Vegeto, Gotenks, or any other fusions ever have similar thoughts.
About this whole "fusions not remembering/dying" theory, it's obvious this isn't the case as Gotenks clearly remembers all of his previous encounters with Buu each time he fuses. Furthermore we see that Goku and Vegeta remember being Vegito as otherwise they'd be freaking out about being inside Buu wondering wtf happened. And Vegito also had there memories as he knew who Buu was and knew the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack. So Vegito in Super must also remember his battle with Buu.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 am

90sDBZ wrote:About this whole "fusions not remembering/dying" theory, it's obvious this isn't the case as Gotenks clearly remembers all of his previous encounters with Buu each time he fuses. Furthermore we see that Goku and Vegeta remember being Vegito as otherwise they'd be freaking out about being inside Buu wondering wtf happened. And Vegito also had there memories as he knew who Buu was and knew the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack. So Vegito in Super must also remember his battle with Buu.
Oooh didn't even think about that! Lends credance to my "both characters at the wheel in unison" and "gestalt personality" ideas.