Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:So whats the update on this? I'm hearing that its turning out that these are primarily false allegations.
Would it kill some of you guys to read?

Well skimming through 40 plus pages is pretty steep especially when most of the debates are just "Not uh" " Yeah huh". I try to stay away from these types of discussions because they're so blurred in grey its almost crazy. No one decides when the line is crossed outside of the people in said situation but even then, that only goes but so far as well.

EDIT: So after reading some of the more recent retorts, i guess there is some concrete evidence somewhere and admittedly yes, just about everything that I do know has been because I've skimmed through some youtube vids hence why I came here to ask is someone could bring up to speed really quick.
Last edited by goku the krump dancer on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:Frankly, whenever someone says “let’s not make this political” in a work of fiction or anywhere, what they’re really saying is “don’t talk about certain views that make me uncomfortable.” I wish people would drop the pretense. If someone says something about the liberal agenda setting their sights on poor Vic, reply that YES! I do have an agenda to make sure Vic can’t pull this shit with anyone else! If that’s a leftist agenda, what does that say about you?!
a lot in my experience it also means, "don't talk about politics cus it'll make me expose my shitty views", lol.
I get why people don't want to bring the mess and stress of politics into recreational activities like anime and video games, but unfortunately practically anything can be taken that way, either legitimately or by making it a stretch. The major difference for me is that there's a big gap between something that can be political (like, say, the gender politics and equality in Mario) and something that is directly or inherently about politics. Sometimes people can't seem to break away from seeing everything as something political.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:So whats the update on this? I'm hearing that its turning out that these are primarily false allegations.
Would it kill some of you guys to read?
I've seen videos on youtube and they were very biased, missleading and trying to tie it to the creators agendas (animegate and SJWS) rather then simply posting facts and letting people come to their own conclustions.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Every time I see a glimmer of hope in this topic a bunch of you weirdos come out of the woodwork to restate your belief that the trite weasel worded spin of your favourite cartoon voice actor is more credible than the stories of dozens of victims with absolutely nothing to gain by publishing them.

It's times like this that I really understand Mike's decision to keep the discussion franchise oriented here on the site. Because if this place actually had an off-topic forum it would just become an extension of this thread; a cesspool of ignorant misogynistic, bigoted dumbassery.
I'm not going to argue that this isn't true, but at the same time, I have seen communities like this one change opinions over time. Including mine. I was raised to be that kind of person and while I think I always managed to rise above my upbringing and my environment to a degree, a lot of my deep-seated ignorance and bigotry never really got challenged until I started discussing "politics" (i.e. any contentious aspect of real life) with my fellow fandom geeks. And I think part of the reason why we're seeing such a sharp rise in far-right politics in the Western world is because these children who were raised on the internet have been living in culture bubbles like 4chan and the dark side of Reddit, where debate and even the concept of community are largely anonymous. That is not how opinions are changed.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:because I've skimmed through some youtube vids
It's almost like Youtube is a cesspool of lying douchebags fishing for clicks.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 pm

FUNi confirmed he's gone. Knew it was only time.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi confirmed he's gone. Knew it was only time.
I guess being associated with him is finally no longer worth the controversy.

Official tweet: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 6209770501
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 pm

I had a feeling this would happen at some point.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

TKA wrote:

I mean it's business, is anyone really surprised? There was no way he was going to stick around at FUNi when his own former co-workers were speaking out against him, I mean what is he going to do record all of his lines in a private box away from everyone else? Have his own parking spot on the opposite side with a personal entryway to enter and exit the private box?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
TKA wrote:

I mean it's business, is anyone really surprised? There was no way he was going to stick around at FUNi when his own former co-workers were speaking out against him, I mean what is he going to do record all of his lines in a private box away from everyone else? Have his own parking spot on the opposite side with a personal entryway to enter and exit the private box?
It's not always easy to know. For all we could tell, it was possible that he made Funi enough money that it would have been worth the backlash to keep him around. That obviously must have been what kept him there this long, that or them not taking the allegations seriously until now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Not surprised that FUNimation officially cut ties with Mignogna. I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Wow that is big, especially if Broly was going to continue into the Super anime. I'm glad that Tweet mentioned Funimation conducted an investigation, I mean who knows how deep that investigation went or what it actually revealed, but it's something.

I think the big question is now will they redub for a home release, I'm sure that's not unheard of.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Char Aznable wrote: I mean it's business, is anyone really surprised? There was no way he was going to stick around at FUNi when his own former co-workers were speaking out against him, I mean what is he going to do record all of his lines in a private box away from everyone else? Have his own parking spot on the opposite side with a personal entryway to enter and exit the private box?
These allegations against Vic have been around for 15 years, but the anime companies never saw fit to cut ties with him. They were willing to deal with the controversy because they saw his ability to generate revenue trumping that.

This time, people are finally taking the victims' story seriously, so the blowback against companies that continued to work with him outweighed his ability to generate profits from said companies.

I'm glad Funi cut ties with him, but the fact that it took this long for them to do it tells me they were hoping this scandal would die down like all the other times news about Vic's proclivities came up.

But that's neither here nor there. What matters now is that:

1. He's paying for his actions.

2. He won't get the chance to keep being an abuser like he's been for the past 15 years.

3. We Dragonball fans don't have to feel bad about the ethics of continuing to support Dragonball in North America, since the company has made it clear it doesn't want anything to do with him.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
Seriously can people not based their infomation solely on Youtube videos with creators who clearly have a biased agenda?

It’s...it’s not hard to research this shit

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

nato25 wrote:I think the big question is now will they redub for a home release, I'm sure that's not unheard of.
It may be possible, but the DVD is set to be released in the US in April -- which less than two months from now -- so I don't think FUNimation will have the time to find a suitable voice actor to replace Mignogna.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:
Seriously can people not based their infomation solely on Youtube videos with creators who clearly have a biased agenda?

It’s...it’s not hard to research this shit

Hence why I said I came here for clarity. But I got my answer so i'll officially take my leave from this discussion.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Funimation kicked Vic out there studio

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
nato25 wrote:I think the big question is now will they redub for a home release, I'm sure that's not unheard of.
It may be possible, but the DVD is set to be released in the US in April -- which less than two months from now -- so I don't think FUNimation will have the time to find a suitable voice actor to replace Mignogna.
Also with the leak out there I don't think delying the release would be an option.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd be very, very surprised if they redubbed Broly. Even if they had all the time in the world to find a replacement actor before the home release, it's just not cost-effective.

On one hand, that doesn't bother me because I'm fortunate enough to easily separate the art from the artist. On the other hand, I feel for the victims -- maybe if there's a re-release down the line, they can more easily weigh their options.

Back to the topic, this shit has been a long time coming. I'm glad the people he's hurt can be more at peace now.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

nato25 wrote:Wow that is big, especially if Broly was going to continue into the Super anime. I'm glad that Tweet mentioned Funimation conducted an investigation, I mean who knows how deep that investigation went or what it actually revealed, but it's something.

I think the big question is now will they redub for a home release, I'm sure that's not unheard of.
When I seen they got rid of him I came here to ask the same thing.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!