DB/Z on VHS Nostalgia

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

DB/Z on VHS Nostalgia

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 am

This is mostly a nostalgia based topic more than anything, and seeing as there have been similar discussion topics from others on the forum previously on how much of a blast it was recording Dragon Ball/Z off the TV back in the day i decided why not take a whack at it and share my own memories of those old times. Anyhow, this comes since i recently found a couple of old VHS tapes buried deep within my closet that were a packed full of dubbed original Dragon Ball and some '96 DBZ dub episodes with the Ocean Group cast from Cartoon Network/Toonami that me and my dad had taped back in the day in around mid 2002 or so. There also happened to be some random Sailor Moon eps thrown in here and there and a couple of um, Hamtaro episodes as well (Yeah, i actually sort of liked that show at one point :lol:) as well as the other tape having a good chunk of the Majin Buu arc taped up to Goku and Vegeta becoming Vegetto against the absorbed Gohan form of Buu, and i just have to say that putting them in the player after so many years was a major nostalgia trip and a half. Anyways, if anyone else has stories they would like to share of those good ol' days then fire away.

And just for fun, i'll post up some pics of them since i figure it would likely strike a lot of people's nostalgia for those days of old. :D

Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Re: DB/Z on VHS Nostalgia Trip

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:01 pm

That’s really cool! I have a couple of tapes lying around myself. One of them has a few Freeza Saga episodes from when they first aired on Toonami, including Goku’s first SSJ transformation! The other has a few episodes from the DBZ “Uncut” run in 2005. I think it has a bunch of the episodes starting from when Vegeta and Nappa first show up.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:06 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Oh, the good ol' memories of the VHS tapes. I remember my family had a crap ton of them. Sadly, none of them was Dragon Ball :(

I recall they were thrown away because we switched to DVD and my parents didn't want to store them in our old house.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:10 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:That’s really cool! I have a couple of tapes lying around myself. One of them has a few Freeza Saga episodes from when they first aired on Toonami, including Goku’s first SSJ transformation! The other has a few episodes from the DBZ “Uncut” run in 2005. I think it has a bunch of the episodes starting from when Vegeta and Nappa first show up.
Yes, i remember specifically what's on the above two tapes since i watched them so much as a little kid. As far as everything goes Dragon Ball/DBZ related on there it is broken down as follows.

Tape #1

DB

Episode where Goku and co are trapped in Pilaf's castle before Goku goes Oozaru

21st Budokai aftermath episode

Roaming Lake w/Namu and Giran

DBZ

Tien's death

Piccolo's/Kami's death and Gohan vs Nappa

Goku arrives on the battlefield and begins his battle against Nappa

Tape #2

Basically, everything from Mr. Satan befriending fat Buu and getting shot up through the start of the Vegetto vs Gohan absorbed Buu fight
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:14 pm

I remember having a lot of Dbz tapes, recorded and official. The first official one I ever picked up was an ocean dub tape with Nappa on the cover, where Nappa fought everyone. I remember I had a couple of tapes I recorded which had various episodes of the Buu saga, featuring Gotenks vs Buu, and Vegito vs Buu. I had another tape full of Garlic Jr episodes. I also remember when the Ultimate uncut dub premiered on TV, I was so excited I could record the series from the beginning, and I had at least 2 tapes worth of ultimate uncut episodes. Another random thing I had on vhs was Japanese episodes of GT, I don't remember what channel I recorded them on, but the channel also played an old Street Fighter anime which was cool.
VegettoEX is a snowflake

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Tian wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Oh, the good ol' memories of the VHS tapes. I remember my family had a crap ton of them. Sadly, none of them was Dragon Ball :(

I recall they were thrown away because we switched to DVD and my parents didn't want to store them in our old house.
Oh yes, even though i have all the uncut episodes on DVD that these tapes cover i still keep them primarily for nostalgia purposes. Not to mention on top of that i get a kick out of watching all those old commercials and Toonami promos and such, there's something so trippy about viewing them that way as it takes me back to when i would watch them as a kid live on Cartoon Network along with my cousin who was also big into it as well. Nostalgia overload!!! :D
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:19 pm

GreatJaiyaman wrote:I remember having a lot of Dbz tapes, recorded and official. The first official one I ever picked up was an ocean dub tape with Nappa on the cover, where Nappa fought everyone. I remember I had a couple of tapes I recorded which had various episodes of the Buu saga, featuring Gotenks vs Buu, and Vegito vs Buu. I had another tape full of Garlic Jr episodes. I also remember when the Ultimate uncut dub premiered on TV, I was so excited I could record the series from the beginning, and I had at least 2 tapes worth of ultimate uncut episodes. Another random thing I had on vhs was Japanese episodes of GT, I don't remember what channel I recorded them on, but the channel also played an old Street Fighter anime which was cool.
Yeah the ones in the photo above are the only personally recorded tapes that i have, though i do also have an official FUNi dub Garlic Jr. tape that my younger cousin gave to me some time back in 2002 or so. I believe it was the second tape in that set with the next batch of episodes.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DB/Z on VHS Nostalgia

Post by saiyanhajime » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:59 pm

:)

Wow. Hit me right in the feels.

I finally donated the vast majority of my VHS this year to a guy who preserves and digitises VHS, especially adverts and shit. They take up so much room. I have such a weird affinity for VHS. For sitting in front of it as a kid and setting it up to record things whilst we were out, etc.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:39 pm

saiyanhajime wrote::)

Wow. Hit me right in the feels.

I finally donated the vast majority of my VHS this year to a guy who preserves and digitises VHS, especially adverts and shit. They take up so much room. I have such a weird affinity for VHS. For sitting in front of it as a kid and setting it up to record things whilst we were out, etc.
I am actually also in the process of digitizing all my childhood recorded VHS tapes with a video capture USB hooking up my computer to any one of the many VCR's i have, and the two Dragon Ball/Toonami tapes pictured at the top are actually my very next projects.
I still have to get onto capturing the tapes at some point soon, and given the crap ton of stuff on them it's going to take a while to go through both in addition to everything else i have on my backlog including family videos and other cartoon recordings.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 pm

I have a good chunk of Dragon Ball GT's original American run recorded on VHS, but they're in Mexico lol. Maybe I'll go pick them up some time

Didn't really record much of Z though. I'd just borrow my cousin's official tapes for that