Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3269
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 pm

“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya
.

Do you think this could be a proper bluray release of the series?

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya
Do you think this could be a proper bluray release of the series?
Considering the use of the word Collectible, yeah I'd assume porting over a Z Blu-Ray remaster (a PROPER remaster, or at least approaching it).

My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 pm

KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya
Do you think this could be a proper bluray release of the series?
Considering the use of the word Collectible, yeah I'd assume porting over a Z Blu-Ray remaster (a PROPER remaster, or at least approaching it).

My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.
I mean, Z got the Dragon Box treatment first back in the day, so you never know.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya
Do you think this could be a proper bluray release of the series?
Considering the use of the word Collectible, yeah I'd assume porting over a Z Blu-Ray remaster (a PROPER remaster, or at least approaching it).

My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.
I mean it’s almost like Toei and Funimation want to pretend Z and Super are the only series that exist.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote: Do you think this could be a proper bluray release of the series?
Considering the use of the word Collectible, yeah I'd assume porting over a Z Blu-Ray remaster (a PROPER remaster, or at least approaching it).

My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.
I mean it’s almost like Toei and Funimation want to pretend Z and Super are the only series that exist.
I seriously don't see why they do that, do they seriously consider Dragon Ball and GT to be inferior lesser products and that nobody cares about them or they don't matter at all???

That's a really insane mindset for a company or companies to have, as in to favor one particular brand of a franchise over the others and basically disregard the rest as though they're irrelevant.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:56 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
KBABZ wrote:My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.
I mean, Z got the Dragon Box treatment first back in the day, so you never know.
I mean, Masenko is right:
MasenkoHA wrote:I mean it’s almost like Toei and Funimation want to pretend Z and Super are the only series that exist.
I would normally have more faith in Toei, but neither DB nor GT have really gotten any love since BoG came out IMO. With the exception of, say, Arale showing up in Super, there's really been no attempt to recognize these two pieces of Dragon Ball media. Now granted, at the time of DB's 30th anniversary we were in the middle of DBS production so there wasn't much room there, but still I am somewhat concerned about it.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:I seriously don't see why the do that, do they seriously consider Dragon Ball and GT to be inferior lesser products and that nobody cares about them or they don't matter at all???

That's a really insane mindset for a company or companies to have, to favor one particular brand of a franchise over the others and disregard the rest as though they're irrelevant.
Problem is, it's marketable. Because the classic anime was broken up into two distinct halves (rather than arc-by-arc like Sailor Moon), the second half being more popular, especially overseas, has meant that the original Dragon Ball anime, with all its differences in tone and story direction, is now considered obscure and hard to market to existing DBZ and DBS fans. If it were all one show like it should have been, or had Sailor Moon-style arc names, we wouldn't have this situation at all.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
KBABZ wrote:My worry is that since this is for DBZ's 30th anniversary specifically, they're not gonna bother touching the original Dragon Ball or GT.
I mean, Z got the Dragon Box treatment first back in the day, so you never know.
I mean, Masenko is right:
MasenkoHA wrote:I mean it’s almost like Toei and Funimation want to pretend Z and Super are the only series that exist.
I would normally have more faith in Toei, but neither DB nor GT have really gotten any love since BoG came out IMO. With the exception of, say, Arale showing up in Super, there's really been no attempt to recognize these two pieces of Dragon Ball media. Now granted, at the time of DB's 30th anniversary we were in the middle of Kai production so there wasn't much room there, but still I am somewhat concerned about it.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:I seriously don't see why the do that, do they seriously consider Dragon Ball and GT to be inferior lesser products and that nobody cares about them or they don't matter at all???

That's a really insane mindset for a company or companies to have, to favor one particular brand of a franchise over the others and disregard the rest as though they're irrelevant.
Problem is, it's marketable. Because the classic anime was broken up into two distinct halves (rather than arc-by-arc like Sailor Moon), the second half being more popular, especially overseas, has meant that the original Dragon Ball anime, with all its differences in tone and story direction, is now considered obscure and hard to market to existing DBZ and DBS fans. If it were all one show like it should have been, or had Sailor Moon-style arc names, we wouldn't have this situation at all.
Yeah, and thus DBZ is the one that basically gets all the love and the most marketing and such poured into it. It really sucks because as a result the original series gets shoved to the side and i really wish it wasn't that way though the results speak for themselves both in Japan and here in the States. Z is pretty much the primary representation of the franchise by and large while the others pretty much play second fiddle in terms of recognition as a whole.

In the grand scheme of things on both sides of the aisle they have basically solidified DBZ as THE primary #1 priority of the franchise and Super to a lesser extent, while everything else (DB, GT.etc) receives cursory nods and such in games and other things at best.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Dragon Ball hasn’t gotten any kind of love since Path to Power for its 10 year anniversary tbh. And even then that was a Dragon Ball movie wearing GT drag (which fair GT was the current series)

Kai the “Akira Toriyama cut” basically regarded everything before Raditz arrives as expositional backstory.

Even though Battle of the Gods brought back back the Pilad gang the movie was still marketed as a Dragon Ball Z movie


I’m not too surprised that GT is getting shafted since Super seems to exist to render it obsolute. As if GT was a mistake.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Judging by the wording this may mean that FUNimation is actually getting it right this time with this new release, because they've no doubt milked their crappy faux widescreen/DNR'd to hell versions long enough between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's and we're way overdue for a proper HD version. Maybe this is the moment that those who have been sticking to their guns for so long have been waiting for. Something that will at long last fulfill what the sadly discontinued Level sets were intended to be. A release of DBZ in high definition that preserves the original 4:3 aspect ratio, at least i hope that's what is coming our way.

I'm guessing we'll all know the specs of the release soon enough, but still hanging onto my Dragon Boxes for now because you never know.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Dragon Ball hasn’t gotten any kind of love since Path to Power for its 10 year anniversary tbh. And even then that was a Dragon Ball movie wearing GT drag (which fair GT was the current series)

Kai the “Akira Toriyama cut” basically regarded everything before Raditz arrives as expositional backstory.

Even though Battle of the Gods brought back back the Pilad gang the movie was still marketed as a Dragon Ball Z movie


I’m not too surprised that GT is getting shafted since Super seems to exist to render it obsolute. As if GT was a mistake.
That's what really tanks, because with Z getting all the glory and coverage the original series gets lost and the shuffle and fewer people are interested.

Now GT on the other hand, that isn't too big of a shock because they seem to have basically relegated it as an alternate/extra side story at this point.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 am

I would love to see a proper Dragon Box esque remaster of Z, bit a part of me think this is just going to be the current release in a collectible tin.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 am

It’d be killer if they put out all 291 episodes in one package, with some really badass box art. I’m just tired of constantly collecting individual volumes of DBZ, especially when said volumes get discontinued halfway through
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:19 am

gokaiblue wrote:I would love to see a proper Dragon Box esque remaster of Z, bit a part of me think this is just going to be the current release in a collectible tin.
I really hope that's not the case here, they've already more than milked their own DNR'd to hell/faux widescreen remastered versions plenty enough. At this point i'm remaining cautiously optimistic because there have been times before when FUNi has thrown curveballs in the past i.e. the revelation of the Dragon Box Z release back in 2009 because people were assuming up to that point they were going to simply slap their Orange Brick masters onto Blu-ray though that's not what ended up happening. Heck, even something akin to the sadly aborted Level BD's would be great. I guess we'll know soon enough what the release wil be like.

For now, i am sticking with of my Dragon Boxes because you just never know.

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I have noticed that some of the previous blu-ray seasons releases have recently (Within the past week) been marked down to $13 on Amazon. Hopefully, that's a sign that they're about to discontinue those and something better will be coming.

I just want them to be in 4:3 and for it to not look like it was smeared all over. Can't be that hard, guys.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3269
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote:I have noticed that some of the previous blu-ray seasons releases have recently (Within the past week) been marked down to $13 on Amazon. Hopefully, that's a sign that they're about to discontinue those and something better will be coming.

I just want them to be in 4:3 and for it to not look like it was smeared all over. Can't be that hard, guys.
I noticed that too! There should be an announcement this month so I'm hoping a clip or screen shots will be released. Even if it's level sets that would be awesome! Apart of me thinks it'll just be funny releasing toeis new movie blurays in a complete set

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Since I gave up all hope of ever getting a set better than the Dragon Box DVD's I'll be sticking with those. But since those are impossible to find for a decent price these days I hope for the rest of the fans that this is a proper 4:3 release. I also wouldn't mind if they announced the remastered movie set (with the uncesored version of movie 11). But seeing as how it's Funimation I'll keep my expectations low to the ground.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Gligarman wrote:Since I gave up all hope of ever getting a set better than the Dragon Box DVD's I'll be sticking with those. But since those are impossible to find for a decent price these days I hope for the rest of the fans that this is a proper 4:3 release. I also wouldn't mind if they announced the remastered movie set (with the uncesored version of movie 11). But seeing as how it's Funimation I'll keep my expectations low to the ground.
Here's hoping that is the case here, they've already more than made enough green with their own crappy remastered versions so this just might be an actual proper HD remastered release like the Level sets or something close. I mean, i can understand people would be wary but they have surprised us before (Dragon Box.etc) so i am remaining cautiously optimistic at this point.

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Gligarman wrote:Since I gave up all hope of ever getting a set better than the Dragon Box DVD's I'll be sticking with those. But since those are impossible to find for a decent price these days I hope for the rest of the fans that this is a proper 4:3 release. I also wouldn't mind if they announced the remastered movie set (with the uncesored version of movie 11). But seeing as how it's Funimation I'll keep my expectations low to the ground.
Here's hoping that is the case here, they've already more than made enough green with their own crappy remastered versions so this just might be an actual proper HD remastered release like the Level sets or something close. I mean, i can understand people would be wary but they have surprised us before (Dragon Box.etc) so i am remaining cautiously optimistic at this point.
What would be amazing is if they also announced they were going to stream HD remasteres of DB, Z, and to a lesser extent GT. That would make it even more accessible.

User avatar
professorwho
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by professorwho » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 pm

Watch it end up being the current Season BDs in "collectible" packaging...

I hope I'm wrong, but with this being FUNi, or as I call them- FAILimation, anything goes.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm

professorwho wrote:Watch it end up being the current Season BDs in "collectible" packaging...

I hope I'm wrong, but with this being FUNi, or as I call them- FAILimation, anything goes.
I've got my fingers crossed that they do it right this time, they have deprived the fans of a proper release for so long since the last attempt (Level BD's) and milked their DNR'd to hell remasters not once but twice.

For now i am going to hold tight to my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi has certainly let the fans down a multitude of times.

Post Reply