Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:
30th Anniversary Remasters ARE coming.
Will be announced VERY soon.
Z first (presumably)
4:3
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
I am extremely tempted to save up for this if the picture quality and Kikuchi score is as great as Geekdom is saying the Bardock special was (I haven't seen that remaster but heard nothing but great things). The fact TOEI AND Funimation both tweeted is very interesting. Hopefully this means they came to some agreement about using the broadcast audio Chris Sabat received and making that be the standard for all international distributors.
Vegard Aune wrote:If this is true, and if the US BD release is region-free (alternately Manga UK puts out their own version which doesn't randomly screw something up like they're so prone to doing), I am definitely buying it.
If this thing is being announced on Monday I hope that will discourage Manga UK from licensing Funimation's season sets and go for this release instead. I don't want any regions to be left out, especially if we get the best sounding recording of the Kikuchi score ever, because we really need that after years of only having that mono track.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:17 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:If they release this and it doesn't have the US Broadcast music (Faulconer/Johnson) as an option I'm not buying.
It may well be an option, considering it was the standard for the Orange and Blu Bricks.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:The fact TOEI AND Funimation both tweeted is very interesting. Hopefully this means they came to some agreement about using the broadcast audio Chris Sabat received and making that be the standard for all international distributors.
It may be possible that Sabat didn't want to have Funimation shove out another DBZ release and saturate the market for no reason like with the other HD releases. If that's true, well played!

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 am

DBZfan29 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
I agree. I think it may even be possible that Lisa Yamatoya simply got the anniversary dates wrong. Dragon Ball started in February, Z started in April. It's an easy mistake to make.
it doesn't make sense, for me it would have been logical to release the first box for the z anniversary so meaning that for an april release, an announcement before , if they just make the announcement and that you need to wait months to buy them it can't be 30th anniversary edition, it's like someone birth in may having gift in december.
just idiot

using db first airing would have been a great things, now they are just playing with fans as usual
Not really. IIRC Jump has been celebrating its 50th for over a year now (or it at least felt like it). DB probably did that too around the 30th. There’s also ZARD, the artist who did some GT songs. They celebrated her 20th anniversary with releases throughout the year.

They can release it whenever they want and still call it an anniversary release. A couple of months difference is not gonna matter.
yes it can be done but i find it stupid, for me the best way to celebrate IS releasing the stuffs on the anniversary day, and the today pre announcement make the things realistic in a way

if this edition really worth i'll make everything in my power to make AB group releasing them on Bluray in France (if they aren't already on it) and will spare money to buyed them (i need to replace some defective dvd from my collectors french dub lol)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:35 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:If they release this and it doesn't have the US Broadcast music (Faulconer/Johnson) as an option I'm not buying.
It may well be an option, considering it was the standard for the Orange and Blu Bricks.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:The fact TOEI AND Funimation both tweeted is very interesting. Hopefully this means they came to some agreement about using the broadcast audio Chris Sabat received and making that be the standard for all international distributors.
It may be possible that Sabat didn't want to have Funimation shove out another DBZ release and saturate the market for no reason like with the other HD releases. If that's true, well played!
Sabat told me a while ago that he has no say over home video releases.

If Toei won't allow broadcast audio in its own native country and if Toei USA won't allow Japanese audio in theatrical releases (which clearly shows they don't think sub fans are worth pandering too) no way a western release will have something like the BA. It's a pipe dream. I will be extremely surprised if it does happen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Sabat told me a while ago that he has no say over home video releases.

If Toei won't allow broadcast audio in its own native country and if Toei USA won't allow Japanese audio in theatrical releases (which clearly shows they don't think sub fans are worth pandering too) no way a western release will have something like the BA. It's a pipe dream. I will be extremely surprised if it does happen.
Sabat may not be in a position to make those decisions, but he has a better shot at persuading Funimation to consider using the BA than we do by virtue of being a voice actor and ADR director for them, and he said he would "try", in other words if he can convince them maybe it could happen. It may not be a guarantee, but even if nothing works out I am glad that we as a fandom have Sabat to be willing to go the extra mile for the fans, he is a great guy.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am

Finally! Now I don't have to feel bad about not buying the Dragon Boxes as this Bluray set will probably become the definitely way to watch Z.
Thank Kami.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I don't want any regions to be left out, especially if we get the best sounding recording of the Kikuchi score ever, because we really need that after years of only having that mono track.
We might not be getting that specific mono track... but the Japanese version of DB and Z will never not be mono. GT has an existing stereo mix (from episode 4 on), but higher quality mono is the best we'll ever get for Z and OG Dragon Ball.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:Does localized mean English dialogue or US Broadcast Audio (Faulconer/Menza/Johnson) Music?
Vegard Aune wrote:...Oh and I also hope that the English release will keep the JP title cards. English credits I can accept as long as all the opening/ending animations are correct, but the dub episode titles diverge so drastically from the Japanese that I really don't want them to replace those again.
Localised means English title cards.
US broadcast music is always an option; it will never not be.

Only reason the Dragon Boxes didn't have it was because they wanted to leave the DBoxes as untouched as possible. Hell, they even considered not including the dub at all!!
This won't be like that. US score will be an option; it generally always is. Funi are well aware of how beloved the US scores are to some fans.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If Toei won't allow broadcast audio in its own native country and if Toei USA won't allow Japanese audio in theatrical releases (which clearly shows they don't think sub fans are worth pandering too) no way a western release will have something like the BA. It's a pipe dream. I will be extremely surprised if it does happen.
The problem isn't Toei disallowing the audio in their home country, it's a case of them just not caring. And as with them allowing Funi to repeatedly do their own HD masters in the past 12 years, they won't give a rat's ass if Funi use better-quality audio while Toei still use the crappy optical audio.

Having said that, Funi being able to talk to Toei about the broadcast audio could be the push needed to get interest in it -- remember, the entirety of "Talking to Toei about the broadcast audio" that had happened until it got to Sabat was just Kei emailing Toei's public-facing email address as some fan claiming to have some original tapes of the broadcasts that could be useful for a release; as far as some Toei rep is concerned, this is just some fan spouting nonsense, and the sooner they get that fan dissuaded from this whole thing, the sooner that rep gets to go on their lunch break.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 am

Now that in about 1-2 weeks I'll finally have all the DBoxes I don't have to care what happens here anymore, but if they finally come out with the ultimate release I will happily buy these too. However, if Toei censors middle fingers again or FUNi throws it in their lousy DNRing machine again, I'll seriously have to think about it. If it's cropped, it's an automatic pass. Please don't disappoint me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 am

Char Aznable wrote:Now that in about 1-2 weeks I'll finally have all the DBoxes I don't have to care what happens here anymore, but if they finally come out with the ultimate release I will happily buy these too. However, if Toei censors middle fingers again or FUNi throws it in their lousy DNRing machine again, I'll seriously have to think about it. If it's cropped, it's an automatic pass. Please don't disappoint me.
I hope that doesn't happen, but given FUNi and Toei in some instances has let fans down a fair number of times we don't know what to expect here. Like you i have most of the Dragon Boxes so really i'm leaning towards not investing in this release whatever it happens to be for instance an upscale of their masters on Blu-ray. It would be really stupid of them to edit the bird flipping but again it isn't known how this is going to go.

I mean, i get why they did it and the other edits with Kai given the early morning timeslot on Sundays it was in compared to DBZ. But doing the same to the orignal would be really dumb because then it's altered from what it originally was.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:37 pm

I knew print on demand would be the way to go for this! I am sure they'll hit the number no problem, 2500 units is do-able.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I knew print on demand would be the way to go for this! I am sure they'll hit the number no problem, 2500 units is do-able.
You can sign me up for sure! If it ends up being 4:3, and also having the Dub/Replacement score, then I don’t care what the price is.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm

It has begun!
https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/?utm ... override=1
-The complete Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray with new bonus content
-North America’s first ever full-sized hardback artbook—available only in this set!
-An exclusive collectible figure—not available anywhere else!
we’re going to need at least 2,500 of you super fans to help make this happen!
This sounds like a one shot set, I wonder what the price will be?
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Is japan getting this? Cause if they're not, i dont see toei giving funi the master negatives to do the remaster
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:56 pm

jaisonas wrote:Is japan getting this? Cause if they're not, i dont see toei giving funi the master negatives to do the remaster
They could be. IIRC Toei showed new remasters of old movies in U.S that later got released in Japan.

Considering the set won't happen if they fail to hit their target I doubt they'd waste time and money on a remaster for this risk unless it already exists which means:

a) Toei JP did it and will release it in Japan sometime.
b) Worst case scenario it's FUNi's shitty 16x9 remaster....

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
jaisonas wrote:Is japan getting this? Cause if they're not, i dont see toei giving funi the master negatives to do the remaster
Yikes, though they somewhat teased that it will be 4:3
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:03 pm

So they're going to release the entire series in one limited edition set that will likely cost hundreds of dollars and will be out of print by next year.

That does not sound like a good idea for the long term.

Edit: Unless these aren't new masters in which case, not many people will want this set.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 pm

jaisonas wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Thats a good spot, I was trying to figure out how 4 and 3 = 30 haha

for pricing, the complete set Amazon has was $174.98. I'm guessing this will be in the 200-350 range
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 pm

jaisonas wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
(0_0)..... If there is indeed a God after all....

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
jaisonas wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: b) Worst case scenario it's FUNi's shitty 16x9 remaster....
Thats a good spot, I was trying to figure out how 4 and 3 = 30 haha

for pricing, the complete set Amazon has was $174.98. I'm guessing this will be in the 200-350 range
I thought it was 4+3=7. 7 DBs and all that lol.

Either way it's bizzare the initial announcement doesn't have a single thing about the remaster.