Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pmSmall correction; The Super preview is more like the First Episode Preview (FEP) as it was made for DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBK. I can't remember if one exists for Kai TFC.
I'm certain that that's what he meant. Personally, I'd also call it a "next episode preview" even tho it doesn't make much sense.
I'm also quite sure that Dragon Ball Kai has a NEP for both episode one and episode 99. I've always seen Japanese shows end with a preview for the next show. If anyone can find a TV recording of GeGeGe no Kitarō 2007's final episode, and Toriko's final episode, then we'd have those. The problem is that I think most people cut out all advertizements and the NEP for the next show, so even the raw recordings I found were of no help.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:20 am

Dragon Ball Kai had its own Japanese promo too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6wkSCf4HI

It was advertised as "HD" but it didn't look very HD-ish, they should've shown samples from the Freeza arc (kinda spoiler, I guess) which were in 35mm.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Any updates from Funi yet? Where can we go to keep up with updates? I really want to know when they plan on shipping this set. If you guys had to take a wild guess, when would you say this Box set is gonna drop? This summer? This fall? Christmas?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm also thinking, is this the first Z release under sony? Has their quality improved under sony at all?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:59 pm

OutRun2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 pm Any updates from Funi yet? Where can we go to keep up with updates? I really want to know when they plan on shipping this set. If you guys had to take a wild guess, when would you say this Box set is gonna drop? This summer? This fall? Christmas?
Probably some time later this year. If I had to guess, maybe late Summer or early Fall. Gotta give them time to get preorders in, manufacture the damn things, maybe finish the remastering of the film footage, & FUNi giving the fans enough time to make some money for it. Plus, the last 3 DBZ home releases started later in the year. The Dragon Boxes started in November, the Levels started in November, & the season BRs started in December of the respective years they came out.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Lol I love how Americans use the seasons as time frames. I'm sitting here on Google searching "summer dates in America" but then you don't say winter, you say Christmas :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 pm

bigray wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm Lol I love how Americans use the seasons as time frames. I'm sitting here on Google searching "summer dates in America" but then you don't say winter, you say Christmas :lol:
Some, if not most say "Holidays" so they don't potentially trigger someone by hearing or reading Christmas. Winter in itself lasts throughout January and so on, so replacing Christmas with "Winter" or "Holidays" just ends up creating confusion as those two terms are pretty vague and/or last longer.

Anyway, I'd guess that the pre-orders will go up during Christmas as that would be a great season to get everyone to drop $$$ on it rather than summer.

Here's what I think will happen:

Summer: We get to see what the covers, picture quality, audio quality and prices are.

Christmas: Try to pre-order it before it's sold out. 😆

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:34 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 pm I'm also thinking, is this the first Z release under sony? Has their quality improved under sony at all?
No.

Re:Zero part 1 is maybe the worst Funi release to date.

Other releases in recent times with compression and encoding problems: Re:Zero Part 2 (nasty color banding), Ancient Magus Bride part 1 (nasty color banding), Cowboy Bebop The Movie (blotchy film grain), Assassination Classroom season 2 (crushed blacks).

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:01 pm

I'm reaching here, but there's a small chance they may put the set up for pre-order along with the June Solicits. The preliminary listings (for the first week) were listed on Thursday, which is over a week early.
I have a feeling the slate will go up early next week, along with the set, could be wrong, and most likely will be, but I've never known Funimation list their solicits this early.

Also, I'm not saying the sets will be released in June, but that they will be made available to pre-order alongside the June Slate.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm

bigray wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm Lol I love how Americans use the seasons as time frames. I'm sitting here on Google searching "summer dates in America" but then you don't say winter, you say Christmas :lol:
I mean, I use "Winter." "Christmas" to me refers to the time around December 25th or specifically December, since Winter lasts from November 21st to March 20th. For reference, Spring goes from March 21st to June 20th, Summer from June 21st to September 20th & Fall/Autumn from September 21st to November 20th, unless I'm mistaken. Even then, that's just a time frame like what you said.
Scavenger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:34 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 pm I'm also thinking, is this the first Z release under sony? Has their quality improved under sony at all?
No.

Other releases in recent times with compression and encoding problems: Re:Zero Part 2 (nasty color banding), Ancient Magus Bride part 1 (nasty color banding), Cowboy Bebop The Movie (blotchy film grain), Assassination Classroom season 2 (crushed blacks).
Hmm...All of those are weird because, aren't most of those shows already in HD, so they wouldn't have to do anything to them? And, even then, Cowboy Bebop's movie already got a Blu-Ray release (though wasn't that one that just looked like an upscale?) under Sony themselves, which I have already, & it didn't look that bad, since it's a movie that got the usual animation buffs an anime movie gets that's coming from a TV series, similar to the earlier Pokemon movies.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm Hmm...All of those are weird because, aren't most of those shows already in HD, so they wouldn't have to do anything to them? And, even then, Cowboy Bebop's movie already got a Blu-Ray release (though wasn't that one that just looked like an upscale?) under Sony themselves, which I have already, & it didn't look that bad, since it's a movie that got the usual animation buffs an anime movie gets that's coming from a TV series, similar to the earlier Pokemon movies.
Regardless of the resolution, the received audio/video assets have to be processed and fed through an encoder first before there is a Blu-ray compliant encode. What actually ends up on a Blu-ray disc is iirc about 1% the size of the assets fed through the encoder. It's sort of a miracle that we can get good looking picture quality on Blu-ray, but a lot can go during and before the encoding process.

In Funimation’s case the encoder settings are often unoptimized. Some releases will look fine with very few noticeable compression artifacts, whereas other releases will show a lot of visible compression artifacts. It is mostly a human error because their encoder software of choice, Sirius Pixels, is actually a very high quality encoder that’s also used by the major Hollywood studios and Japanese authoring houses.

Of course there could also be a problem with the received assets themselves. This may have been the case with Re:Zero, but even then it's the responsibility of the distributor to alert the Japanese licensor and to repair the problems by themselves.

Cowboy Bebop The Movie is not an upscale, though it's probably sourced from an older scan/telecine.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm
I mean, I use "Winter." "Christmas" to me refers to the time around December 25th or specifically December, since Winter lasts from November 21st to March 20th. For reference, Spring goes from March 21st to June 20th, Summer from June 21st to September 20th & Fall/Autumn from September 21st to November 20th, unless I'm mistaken. Even then, that's just a time frame like what you said.
No.

Hmm...All of those are weird because, aren't most of those shows already in HD, so they wouldn't have to do anything to them? And, even then, Cowboy Bebop's movie already got a Blu-Ray release (though wasn't that one that just looked like an upscale?) under Sony themselves, which I have already, & it didn't look that bad, since it's a movie that got the usual animation buffs an anime movie gets that's coming from a TV series, similar to the earlier Pokemon movies.
Here's a comparison to the first bluray to the DVD https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0 ... 38&i=1&l=1
Its a shame the FUNidisc hasnt been added yet

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:32 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm Here's a comparison to the first bluray to the DVD https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0 ... 38&i=1&l=1
I could see them adding it next month along with the Dynit release (out on the 27th). Dynit has one of the best compressionists out there and their release will also feature an English 5.1 DTS-HD MA track and English subs.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Scavenger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:32 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm Here's a comparison to the first bluray to the DVD https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0 ... 38&i=1&l=1
I could see them adding it next month along with the Dynit release (out on the 27th). Dynit has one of the best compressionists out there and their release will also feature an English 5.1 DTS-HD MA track and English subs.
ohhhhhh very nice :thumbup: . I pretty much just stop buying from Funi and just started importing, be it from Dynit or Japanese release.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:38 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pmI mean, I use "Winter." "Christmas" to me refers to the time around December 25th or specifically December, since Winter lasts from November 21st to March 20th. For reference, Spring goes from March 21st to June 20th, Summer from June 21st to September 20th & Fall/Autumn from September 21st to November 20th, unless I'm mistaken. Even then, that's just a time frame like what you said.
I agree. "Christmas" is December only, and "Holidays" is both November and December.
One correction, tho: Harvest/Fall/Autumn is from September 22nd or 23rd till DECEMBER 21st or 22nd, and Winter is from DECEMBER 22nd or 23rd till March 19th. It's three months per season, tho that's just if you're going by the solstices and equinoxes.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:20 am

No.

So it's gotten worse?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

bigray wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 pm If they were going to give us extra discs I'd rather them spread out the new remaster onto more discs and include all the different dubs and scores as options. Sometimes I think they don't put them on because they take up too much space on the disc, well at least for DVDs, I could be wrong though.
Audio is minimal relative to the video though. Also, BluRays have a maximum bitrate to apply to the entire stream. I'm thinking its something like 48 MBits/sec or something like that. If you put 8 audio tracks in the stream you are going limit the bitrate you can apply to the video. If its a grainy picture, the discs will need all of the bitrate we can get (I do understand the sentiment of your position though).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

This looks to be a special collaboration between TOEI Animation and FUNimation so it'd be interesting if TOEI would include as many dubs as possible, at least the Western ones because by the looks of it this will be the definitive DBZ HD Blu-ray release to go for. Will it happen? Probably not.

Although, it's worth noting that the Japanese Dragon Box Z (can't remember if it was Box 1 or 2) that featured a video in the extras section, with multiple dubs so that was cool of them to include.

Whether it's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai (2014), Dragon Ball Super or etc, there's always something that the fans aren't pleased with so they'll go out of their way, anyway.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:53 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm Whether it's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai (2014), Dragon Ball Super or etc, there's always something that the fans aren't pleased with so they'll go out of their way, anyway.
Understandable -- but I think it's fans like us that have gotten "screwed" the most. That is to say fans that want the audio and video as true to original form as possible.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:45 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm This looks to be a special collaboration between TOEI Animation and FUNimation so it'd be interesting if TOEI would include as many dubs as possible, at least the Western ones because by the looks of it this will be the definitive DBZ HD Blu-ray release to go for. Will it happen? Probably not.

Although, it's worth noting that the Japanese Dragon Box Z (can't remember if it was Box 1 or 2) that featured a video in the extras section, with multiple dubs so that was cool of them to include.

Whether it's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai (2014), Dragon Ball Super or etc, there's always something that the fans aren't pleased with so they'll go out of their way, anyway.
I doubt we'll get any European dubs, mate. I'd love it but I doubt it.