Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm @ KB

There was also another with the same avatar so.. eh?
That was the same person but they changed the name they were using on Discord. Apparently that's a normal thing.

Source: I was in the Discord channel when it happened. I backtracked to a previous post by them and the name change showed up there too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm Uh, no? Broken clock is missing both hands and tells me I'm not a real fan for asking it to not smear away the grain. It's been wrong every hour since this started.
You know what I was talking about. I was making a wry joke about how it's funny that Funimation's site doesn't work on Internet Explorer because that browser is legitimately awful.
Mr.Poot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm Why do you think I call them Black Bricks? :wink:
Why do people keep thinking brick is an insult it is the name of that type of packaging.
Well not this specific type of packaging. The ones used for the DVDs, sure. But the term "brick" in this case also carries the connotation that it's like a bricked console, a big, heavy thing that's mostly useless because something screwed up somewhere. And for Dragon Ball fans it has comparisons to the Orange Bricks, the worst release in the franchise that doesn't have the Big Green Dub on it.
funrush wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm They want it to look bright, vibrant, and remove the grain so that it looks clear, modern, kinda like cels.
I find this idea hilarious considering how much they darken and desaturate the greens.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm You know what I was talking about. I was making a wry joke about how it's funny that Funimation's site doesn't work on Internet Explorer because that browser is legitimately awful.
I didn't know that, that was a really convoluted thing to think someone would know, and it wouldn't be good anyway because if the site worked on IE, then at least it would give me a chance.

Update: it doesn't work on mobile either.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm You know what I was talking about. I was making a wry joke about how it's funny that Funimation's site doesn't work on Internet Explorer because that browser is legitimately awful.
I didn't know that, that was a really convoluted thing to think someone would know, and it wouldn't be good anyway because if the site worked on IE, then at least it would give me a chance.
Ah. I thought IE's awful reputation was well-known at this point. I'm sorry for my rash response.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Internet Explorer? That was discontinued. Microsoft's browser now is called Edge and it's pretty good in its own right.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm

KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm
KillerCory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks! I tried to be polite but also get the point across.
I also had username issues, then it just magically worked after trying a few times..
I used something other than Chrome and now it worked. My comment is awaiting moderation now too. My post wasn't as well worded as yours I don't think (partly because I was trying to avoid making a carbon copy of yours) but I think it was as polite and respectful. Even if moderation doesn't let it go through, at least somebody will see it.

EDIT: Pre-orders shot up to 2771 as of 11:00.
Well, it looks like they posted the comments on the blog post. Maybe it (along with other ways) can help sway them:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/
God, out of all the complaints, some of the comments on their blog make me cringe. Who’s the doofus that asked about Bruce Falconer? WHO CARES! Add it in later. Same with broadcasts audio. Right now we need a PROPER REMASTER!
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

funrush

Post by funrush » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm
funrush wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm They want it to look bright, vibrant, and remove the grain so that it looks clear, modern, kinda like cels.
I find this idea hilarious considering how much they darken and desaturate the greens.
In comparison to the OBs and the Season Blurays which were criticized for being overly bright, but not in comparison to the raws, from what I've seen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 pm

funrush wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 pm
In comparison to the OBs and the Season Blurays which were criticized for being overly bright, but not in comparison to the raws, from what I've seen.
Oh yeah, it's like trying to view the film underwater whilst pointed directly at the midday sun, it's terrible!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 pm
funrush wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 pm
Oh yeah, it's like trying to view the film underwater whilst pointed directly at the midday sun, it's terrible!
It's certainly not nearly as bad as the extreme amounts of line removing DNR and blown out, over contrasted whites in the Orange Bricks especially Season Two.

Ugh the early sets were bad, but that one really took the cake as far as the badness of the automated noise reduction and filtering goes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm

So just in general, who will be getting this set from the information we have currently about it?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm

I remember the picture quality of DBZ Season 9 on DVD to me it looked really good unlike the other "seasons" but it still had that deal-breaker issue.. the fake 16:9 AR. Ordered the 9th season on DVD as it was fairly cheap on Amazon Germany so will see about making a comparison versus the Dragon Box Z, plus merge the two to see if gaining picture on the sides would be an advantage.

It's a shame that FUNimation thinks the DBZ Season Blu-rays are that great that they're making a 4:3 version. :(

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm It's a shame that FUNimation thinks the DBZ Season Blu-rays are that great that they're making a 4:3 version. :(
...but the blog post confirms that they're not doing that...

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Wow, Kingcharisma20 on FAILmations website writes:

“Now, we have an upcoming 30th Anniversary Set in 4:3 ratio (at best), and fans are still complaining??? If you don’t want it, don’t reserve it, but disrespect Funimation’s efforts on making the best home video releases they can do. Once I have the money, I will be one of the 3,000-6,000 people reserving this set ‘cause I’m a hardcore Dragon Ball fan!”

Look at this fool. “Best” FUNimation can do. Oh yes, this must be the best. This is a prime example of why we don’t get what we want.

I give up.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm Wow, Kingcharisma20 on FAILmations website writes:

“Now, we have an upcoming 30th Anniversary Set in 4:3 ratio (at best), and fans are still complaining??? If you don’t want it, don’t reserve it, but disrespect Funimation’s efforts on making the best home video releases they can do. Once I have the money, I will be one of the 3,000-6,000 people reserving this set ‘cause I’m a hardcore Dragon Ball fan!”

Look at this fool. “Best” FUNimation can do. Oh yes, this must be the best. This is a prime example of why we don’t get what we want. Uneducated fools who just want “average”.

I give up.
Oh my god, this person obviously hasn't got a single freakin' clue about why exactly it is that people including fans here are less than impressed about quality of the set and are this voicing their issues with it to FUNi. Though yet he calls himself a hardcore Dragon Ball fan, hardcore my foot. :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm It's a shame that FUNimation thinks the DBZ Season Blu-rays are that great that they're making a 4:3 version. :(
The quality is the same as the Season Sets. Maybe a slight improvement.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:40 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm
The quality is the same as the Season Sets. Maybe a slight improvement.
As i have stated quite a few times ad nauseum i am definitely going to be sticking with my Dragon Boxes, because this looks to be a barebones standard presentation with just ok video quality.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 pm Ah. I thought IE's awful reputation was well-known at this point. I'm sorry for my rash response.
No I get that IE sucks, I just don't get the comment -- a broken clock being right would be if the site did load on IE and I could do things with it. Funi's bad site not working on Microsoft's bad browser is just a broken clock being broken even further.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 pm

@Ajay, I know we’ve had some disagreements(?) in the past, but I want to personally thank you for not only making one YouTube video in response to FUNimations treatment of the show, but TWO.

https://youtu.be/6QZDHVwpHZo

Whether they listen and do the right thing or not, you did a good job and the video is put together very well. I believe a standing ovation is in order. :clap:
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 pmThough yet he calls himself a hardcore Dragon Ball fan, hardcore my foot. :lol:
Much, MUCH earlier in the thread I called this type of person a "Hardcore Casual" in the sense that they're being hardcore about being casual. "We'll take second best and not ANYTHING else!". The type of person who doubles-down on talking about purely the US side rather than going hardcore enough to, say, translate original Japanese materials. That sort of thing.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 pm The quality is the same as the Season Sets. Maybe a slight improvement.
I disagree. The grading is slightly better to me, and most pertinently it's not cropped to 16:9. I thought you were going off of the original reveal trailer with the uncropped Blu-Seasons footage in it.
Shaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm No I get that IE sucks, I just don't get the comment -- a broken clock being right would be if the site did load on IE and I could do things with it. Funi's bad site not working on Microsoft's bad browser is just a broken clock being broken even further.
Ah. My joke was that Funi is prescient enough to realize only a fool would use IE to browse the internet with.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 pm

I think it is unbecoming to quote a fan from another website just to call him foolish and insult him for wanting this release. You can hate this release but dont mock people who are supporting it especially from the otherside of the internet where they cant defend themselves.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat