Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:53 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 am You know I never noticed that Videl in the eyecatch had her long hair with the pink shirt and white singlet. She never wore that combo!
Yeah, it's so weird to see that when Videl only ever had that particular outfit on with the cut short hair. I mean, you would think that when they created it they'd have her in her Orange Star outfit or something.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am

Can you post the dragon box footage for comparisons sake with those shots?

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 am I really hope this release ends up being 4:3 and not cropped or DNR'd into oblivion, because we are long overdue for a proper remaster that doesn't look absolutely horrendous.

Here are some comparisons that show just how desperately a good remaster is needed.

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Can you do the dragon box for the comparison sake?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:02 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 amCan you do the dragon box for the comparison sake?
Could you please not quote the entire full-length post? It's annoying to have to scroll through!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 am I really hope this release ends up being 4:3 and not cropped or DNR'd into oblivion, because we are long overdue for a proper remaster that doesn't look absolutely horrendous.

Here are some comparisons that show just how desperately a good remaster is needed.

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Original:

Remastered:

Can you do the dragon box for the comparison sake?
The "original" shots you see in the above comparisons are all indeed captured from my Dragon Boxes, with the obvious exception of that group multi shot from the episode where Kid Buu is annihilated by the Genki Dama which is taken from the old "Kid Buu- The Price of Victory" single disc as i don't have that particular one in Dragon Box form.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 am, edited 8 times in total.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 am

Aww ok well I know the dragon boxes suffer from color issues because of the film they used. It will be interesting if this new set is 4:3 if they color correct them like I see a lot of people do. I would not be opposed to this as the colors are not quite correct. And would give us literally the best version possible. That being said my dragon boxes are amazing if Funi does screw this all up :lolno:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 am Aww ok well I know the dragon boxes suffer from color issues because of the film they used. It will be interesting if this new set is 4:3 if they color correct them like I see a lot of people do. I would not be opposed to this as the colors are not quite correct. And would give us literally the best version possible. That being said my dragon boxes are amazing if Funi does screw this all up :lolno:
I have my fingers crossed as well that this release turns out to be just that, because we have been long overdue for another proper release that isn't all screwed around with like the Orange Bricks or Season BD's.

However, if in the end it doesn't end up being quite all of what it's assumed to be i still have my Dragon Boxes which i feel very proud to own given the amazing deals i found them for. :D

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:02 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 amCan you do the dragon box for the comparison sake?
The "original" shots you see in the above comparisons are all indeed captured from my Dragon Boxes, with the obvious exception of that group multi shot from the episode where Kid Buu is annihilated by the Genki Dama which is taken from the old "Kid Buu- The Price of Victory" single disc as i don't have that particular one in Dragon Box form.
Am I invisible or something?!
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 amHowever, if in the end it doesn't end up being quite all of what it's assumed to be i still have my Dragon Boxes which i feel very proud to own given the amazing deals i found them for. :D
Man I'll always be proud of the Dragon Box I have for the original series. I can't read the book of course but the artwork in it is incredible.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:30 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:02 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am
Am I invisible or something?!
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 amHowever, if in the end it doesn't end up being quite all of what it's assumed to be i still have my Dragon Boxes which i feel very proud to own given the amazing deals i found them for. :D
Man I'll always be proud of the Dragon Box I have for the original series. I can't read the book of course but the artwork in it is incredible.
Oh yeah i'd really like to get my hands on the OG series Dragon Box but probably not at this point given the crazy money they sell for, i may settle for eventually getting the single volumes a few at a time.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am
Oh yeah i'd really like to get my hands on the OG series Dragon Box but probably not at this point given the crazy money they sell for, i may settle for eventually getting the single volumes a few at a time.
I'm not sure if it's crazy money but I got mine on Amazon Japan for what I consider to be a decent price. Shipping would have been a problem but luckily sites like Tenso mean that Japan-only delivery isn't an obstacle these days.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:55 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am
I'm not sure if it's crazy money but I got mine on Amazon Japan for what I consider to be a decent price. Shipping would have been a problem but luckily sites like Tenso mean that Japan-only delivery isn't an obstacle these days.
True because sometimes i have seen the DB Dragon Box going there used for okay ish prices especially when compared to eBay auctions for the same, so i may eventually hunt it down and use one of those shipping services or something.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 am

Original:

Remastered:

I love the way Kai TFC reformatted this scene to make it work perfectly in widescreen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 am

DHM211 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 amI love the way Kai TFC reformatted this scene to make it work perfectly in widescreen.
Wow! There's a lot to hate about T1C, but good on them for making that shot work!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 am

There isn't much point using FUNimation shitty "remasters" whether it's the DVD or Blu-ray version as it was an automated process. It's not a true remaster, for real Dragon Ball Z series 16x9 AR then check out TOEI's Kai and Kai TFC instead.

@ KBABZ "T1C"? Guess your auto-spelling replaced TFC with that thing you wrote.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:01 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 am@ KBABZ "T1C"? Guess your auto-spelling replaced TFC with that thing you wrote.
Dammit! T1C is the subtitle for my edit of Funi's Dragon Ball dub, which I call The First Chapters. Obviously I meant to say TFC, for The Final Chapters. Maybe I need to pick a different subtitle!

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 am Wow! There's a lot to hate about T1C, but good on them for making that shot work!
Agreed! As much as I don't care for Kai's 16:9 conversion in general, I appreciate when Toei went that extra mile in making certain shots work in widescreen that otherwise wouldn't have.

The following shots (taken from Kanzenshuu's very own episode guide) are another example of this, and one of the few instances where the redrawn shots really seemed to serve a purpose:

aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am
KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 amWow! There's a lot to hate about T1C, but good on them for making that shot work!
Agreed! As much as I don't care for Kai's 16:9 conversion in general, I appreciate when Toei went that extra mile in making certain shots work in widescreen that otherwise wouldn't have.

The following shots (taken from Kanzenshuu's very own episode guide) are another example of this, and one of the few instances where the redrawn shots really seemed to serve a purpose:
Wow! I've never been a fan of how the Kai shots looks like cheap frames from Super and don't mesh with the old footage at all, but I do really like the composition they have. AND they serve as another example of why you CAN'T just crop the footage and expect it to retain the same feel. We all know anime has a reputation for being somewhat disposable and often more about hitting checkmarks than art, but this stuff is FILMMAKING. The shot composition is basic stuff that even someone arranging pngs in Photoshop will be mindful of. It's why we have title and action safe, something which much of the Orange/Blu Bricks DON'T adhere to:

(hint: you're supposed to keep everything important within the boxes)

In my opinion, if you look at the above shot and don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with it, you have no place in a discussion about cropping and the presentation of content made with 4:3 in mind.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 am

Took a break from online stuff for a while. Saw this. SUPER SKEPTICAL!

It's clear at this point FUNimation is nothing but incompetent when it comes to releasing DB. I guarantee you THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO F*** THIS UP! I have no faith in them as a company. As someone who has followed Dragon Ball for over 20 years, I find it DISGUSTING how they treat this series. This release has the potential to be everything I ever wanted in a DBZ release. I know they have the means and resources to do it. But I'm not holding my breath. Guess we just have to wait and see.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 am

MarCas92 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 am Took a break from online stuff for a while. Saw this. SUPER SKEPTICAL!

It's clear at this point FUNimation is nothing but incompetent when it comes to releasing DB. I guarantee you THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO F*** THIS UP! I have no faith in them as a company. As someone who has followed Dragon Ball for over 20 years, I find it DISGUSTING how they treat this series. This release has the potential to be everything I ever wanted in a DBZ release. I know they have the means and resources to do it. But I'm not holding my breath. Guess we just have to wait and see.
It's quite understandable why people would be skeptical about this announcement, because of course FUNi doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to the releases of DBZ here. Whether it be ones that were axed before completion (Ultimate Uncut) or went belly up due to jumping the gun and put on the market way too soon in the midst of other releases (Level BD's), they have continuously let the fans down who just want a release that preserves the show the way it should be. Well, with the exception of the Dragon Boxes which were a limited time run and were aimed at the "hardcore" fans of the original version.

Still, fingers crossed that this is actually a good release because we are definitely long overdue for one.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 am

Even if there's no hard evidence that the Kai TFC OP was made in 4x3 AR, going by the Kai OP makes it pretty obvious it was made as such and even comparing the Majin Boo Hen vs TFC version shows TOEI had it.

Here's a comparison of Kai's OP/ED in 4x3 AR and 16x9 AR. Q-TEC did a really good job with the selective cropping but could have been better.

Opening - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Ending - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

I personally have no issues and having two versions, one fullscreen and one widescreen gives me more options to watch the show. At least they remastered it properly unlike a YouTube/FUNimation "remaster" (the episodes, not the OP/EDs of course). :lol: