Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 am

"Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site"

Where is this? I can't find it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:50 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:"Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site"

Doesn't exist. Z isn't available in any other format than their shitty "remastered" cropped versions of the episodes thrown on their streaming service. Also, you can't actually buy episodes from their streaming service. You pay for the service & watch the episodes after that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 am

Scsigs wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:"Buy the 4:3 digital streaming version from Funimation's site"

Doesn't exist. Z isn't available in any other format than their shitty "remastered" cropped versions of the episodes thrown on their streaming service. Also, you can't actually buy episodes from their streaming service. You pay for the service & watch the episodes after that.
Well shit, good thing I have my FUNimation singles. Here's hoping this 30th home collection has the US broadcast audio and 4:3.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:21 am

companies are supposed to provide product that will satisfied customers, nowadays we are in the reverse situation , of course db,z,gt are available for selling but product don't satisfied me at all, why? they put no effort on the release, colors are just awful, etc if we agree with that we will never see good release of them.

We gotta power if companies don't want to put any real effort into their release then it's pretty logical that fans will turns into illegal way, product aren't even properly calibrate and they dare to propose something like that!!! a color cast removal is really easy to remove and more with professionnal tool, for me if they don't do they can't be called professionals.
we are not dogs , we don't have to buy shit i am sorry but sky is blue not green, white is not supposed to be red or green, if film degrade i understand but in that case , you repair or correct the thing, you won't just throw the thing like that it's amateurish then cry about piracy because people turn into fan corrected stuffs. take star wars amateur project, fans with restricted way can restore movies that lucasfilm who win several billions dollars couldn't even calibrate the things properly, you think of who we are laughing to? even marvel movies have color cast . we have to force them to do the things correctly if they want our money

it's the same as buying furniture that have error into them

i have buyed the whole dbz french dvd and sadly quality is so fucking bad that i will never watch those dvd again so i am supposed to copy my own dvd, correct them and watch the copy? in that case what's the point to buy the thing if i have to do Toei or Funi or Ab work by restoring the stuffs myself

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Well shit, good thing I have my FUNimation singles. Here's hoping this 30th home collection has the US broadcast audio and 4:3.
Another hope I have are the episodes FINALLY being put on iTunes like the movies in their original aspect ratios at least using the Dragon Box masters because, even in that format, they're still a TON better than FUNi's home releases by a landslide. Even the releases that are legitimately good ones don't match the Dragon Box quality, even though the Dragon Boxes aren't perfect since the colors are inconsistently set all the time, even between episodes. But I'd rather take a slightly off-colored batch of episodes than oversaturated, eye-bleeding, colors that aren't correct either.
Z was done a disservice when FUNi decided they wanted to reach a mass market of stupid people who don't understand anything about video quality & fell for the buzzwords that were in their trailers back in 2006/7. It was done an even greater disservice when FUNi did the exact same things again, only keeping the lines & doing the cropping a little better, for the Blu-Rays, but that's it. God, it's the series that put them on the map as a company & they continually treat it like shit for no reason. Like, it's 2019. No one's brains are under-developed to the point of mental retardation in your customer base like you think they are. Put out an actual GOOD release of the series for once & we'll be happy. Even just a vanilla release using the Dragon Box masters would be fine, perfectly acceptable. I'd take that over the releases we HAVE gotten.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

I think Funimation's collectible release could include the OG dub, Licence Global Magazine did showcase the characters dressed as Tom so it seems likely this release will be for dub fans and will be related to Toonami.

Wild guess here. It will be the original edited dub on Blu-Ray, perhaps starting with seasons 1-3 (because they all included the Rock the Dragon opening) and if it does well they will release the remainder of the dub. It may only be SD to fit more episodes on each disc and because it would be a lot of work for Funimation to cut their uncut footage to make it sync with the edited audio masters, but people would still buy it.

And I can't see a Rock the Dragon 2 being made as a sequel to the original unless Funimation put the original back in print (which is unlikely) as that would be frustrating for collectors to start at Freeza or pay over the odds to pick up the original Rock the Dragon set first, so starting fresh with a new collection on a better format would be more enticing.

Funimation also own the Saban and Pioneer dubs so unlike the Westwood dub they can still milk it without having a cut of their profits taken by a third party license holder. I also can't think of anything else based on the aforementioned image.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 am

Scsigs wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Doesn't exist. Z isn't available in any other format than their shitty "remastered" cropped versions of the episodes thrown on their streaming service. Also, you can't actually buy episodes from their streaming service. You pay for the service & watch the episodes after that.
Another hope I have are the episodes FINALLY being put on iTunes like the movies in their original aspect ratios at least using the Dragon Box masters because, even in that format, they're still a TON better than FUNi's home releases by a landslide. Even the releases that are legitimately good ones don't match the Dragon Box quality, even though the Dragon Boxes aren't perfect since the colors are inconsistently set all the time, even between episodes. But I'd rather take a slightly off-colored batch of episodes than oversaturated, eye-bleeding, colors that aren't correct either.
Z was done a disservice when FUNi decided they wanted to reach a mass market of stupid people who don't understand anything about video quality & fell for the buzzwords that were in their trailers back in 2006/7. It was done an even greater disservice when FUNi did the exact same things again, only keeping the lines & doing the cropping a little better, for the Blu-Rays, but that's it. God, it's the series that put them on the map as a company & they continually treat it like shit for no reason. Like, it's 2019. No one's brains are under-developed to the point of mental retardation in your customer base like you think they are. Put out an actual GOOD release of the series for once & we'll be happy. Even just a vanilla release using the Dragon Box masters would be fine, perfectly acceptable. I'd take that over the releases we HAVE gotten.
That's the thing that kills me the most about all of this, as it seems FUNi just can't ever get it right in terms of releasing DBZ on home video properly. The orange bricks and to a lesser extent season BD's are an unfortunate indicator that they really don't give a crap about providing fans with an actual as is release the way the series should be, and barring a couple of exceptions with the Dragon Boxes and sadly dead Level sets they have dropped the ball in just about every way imaginable.

I have been tracking down the Dragon Boxes because quite frankly i have not and never will waste my money on their crap 16:9 DNR smear fest releases, for unlike all the clueless people who bought into FUNimation's misleading advertising about the season sets i actually have some standard of quality when it comes to the series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 am

So is this release gonna be in 4:3 with a proper remaster?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:39 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:So is this release gonna be in 4:3 with a proper remaster?
We don't know. Technically we don't even know WHAT the 30th collectible collaboration between Funi and Toei actually is!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:
We don't know. Technically we don't even know WHAT the 30th collectible collaboration between Funi and Toei actually is!
I suppose we'll see what's going on once there is an official announcement on this thing.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm

they said it will be announced this month, we are the 23th, i think it will be the 26th as dragon ball original first run start this day
anyway we can say if they didn't lie about february that next week we'll know for sure

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 pm

KBABZ wrote:
I thought the only thing that was said was that is was a home video release.

I do believe a remaster is possible. Success of Super and the new movies has shown both of these companies that demand still exists. I think it's highly likely they pooled their resources for a proper remaster. Hopefully doing what the level sets did on the film masters that were used for the DragonBox releases. I just hope they do it for all series (DB,DBZ and GT). At this point, I wouldn't buy anything else. I've spent enough money on the damn series over the years. I can't justify spending more on the show itself unless it is the perfect release of sorts. And by this I mean a 4:3 release with the grain included (no real DNR that smears the pictures). If people are a fan of the 16:9 releases... well, those fans already have a release. It's kind of the original fans that want the show in the original form that have gotten screwed the most over the years.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Patiently waiting for this anouncement, I cannot believe they are making us wait this long. Hopefully it is on the 26th (tomorrow). Like the above post mentions it has to be with no DNR or grain removal and 4:3 if its even going to be considered.
As a long shot if the Japanese audio has been improved by the grace of God or Toei using Kei's materials... Well thats my dream/ideal scenario which will warrant me and many others dropping big cash on this release.

The amount of money being generated by this franchise in the past few years, deserves to be put back into all 3 series (Ball, Z and GT) which made the franchise a global phenomenon. It is long overdue at this point. The Dragon Boxes were incredible for 2003 when Funi was releasing overly saturated DVDs, but they were not without their own imperfections.

Really praying hard that Toei and Funimation hear what we want.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 am

DBZimran wrote:Patiently waiting for this announcement, I cannot believe they are making us wait this long. Hopefully it is on the 26th (tomorrow). Like the above post mentions it has to be with no DNR or grain removal and 4:3 if it's even going to be considered.
As a long shot if the Japanese audio has been improved by the grace of God or Toei using Kei's materials... Well thats my dream/ideal scenario which will warrant me and many others dropping big cash on this release.

The amount of money being generated by this franchise in the past few years deserves to be put back into all 3 series (Ball, Z and GT) which made the franchise a global phenomenon. It is long overdue at this point. The Dragon Boxes were incredible for 2003 when Funi was releasing overly saturated DVDs, but they were not without their own imperfections.

I mean, they can't have no DNR. That stabilizes the picture that's NOT supposed to be jumpy. With DB, you're gonna have damaged or jumpy frames from footage that's ~30 years old. Hell, rewatching the Broly movies recently, even though the remastering wasn't as bad as the Orange Bricks by a longshot, there were still noticeable jumpy frames.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 am

Scsigs wrote:
DBZimran wrote:Patiently waiting for this announcement, I cannot believe they are making us wait this long. Hopefully it is on the 26th (tomorrow). Like the above post mentions it has to be with no DNR or grain removal and 4:3 if it's even going to be considered.

The amount of money being generated by this franchise in the past few years deserves to be put back into all 3 series (Ball, Z and GT) which made the franchise a global phenomenon. It is long overdue at this point. The Dragon Boxes were incredible for 2003 when Funi was releasing overly saturated DVDs, but they were not without their own imperfections.

I mean, they can't have no DNR. That stabilizes the picture that's NOT supposed to be jumpy. With DB, you're gonna have damaged or jumpy frames from footage that's ~30 years old. Hell, rewatching the Broly movies recently, even though the remastering wasn't as bad as the Orange Bricks by a longshot, there were still noticeable jumpy frames.
Dnr and frame stabilizing are 2 completely different things. So is removing film splicing marks.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm

They do DNR and due to its automation it removes details which otherwise would be there. The film is aged but removing the grain and making it a brand spanking new 2019 product is not feasible. It is a product of its time, hence why the imperfections make it what it is (a series made in the 90s). As mentioned before frame stabilisation is completely different to noise removal.
The level set approach would be the most ideal situation, to frame by frame remedy any imperfections. Of course it is a costly procedure. Would it yield profits with a higher price tag, due to their costly investment to do such a task?

The success of the cheap 16:9 releases speaks for itself. A lot of fans have a lack of knowledge of how the anime was originally presented. People just want a higher ratio of episodes per dollar spent on the release. So a release that has been properly remastered, and they have taken the time and attention to preserve the media would cost more (Level Sets). Fewer fans will part with cash now that the market for DBZ releases is so overly saturated. As a result this 30th anniversary release needs to be something that will have to please the neglected fan base who want a Dragon Box esque release, and has to be affordable to even be considered worth releasing. Otherwise it may just be a repeat of the level sets. This argument just makes me believe that this release will be a limited collectors only situation (which they have stated) like the Dragon Boxes, so I'd advise ordering early to avoid a similar situation to the Dragon Boxes.

They have mentioned they will have a collectors release, but surely it will cater to the audience who want a proper remastered release... Right? At this point only the devoted fans will be willing to part with cash after paying for the Dragon Boxes and one or more of the other sub par releases. :lol:

I am really hopeful for this release, but at the same time very cautious. Damn it they better get this right. :lol:
Last edited by DBZimran on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm

If it's around the same price point as dbox ill be sure to grab. I'm hoping it'll be split up and not one large expensive set

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:If it's around the same price point as dbox ill be sure to grab. I'm hoping it'll be split up and not one large expensive set
I feel like if it is split up and it does not sell well they may scrap it like they did with the Level Sets. Maybe that's just my "PTSD" after collecting the Level Sets only for them to be discontinued.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm

still no news?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm

DBZimran wrote:They do DNR and due to its automation it removes details which otherwise would be there. The film is aged but removing the grain and making it a brand spanking new 2019 product is not feasible. It is a product of its time, hence why the imperfections make it what it is (a series made in the 90s). As mentioned before frame stabilisation is completely different to noise removal.
The level set approach would be the most ideal situation, to frame by frame remedy any imperfections. Of course it is a costly procedure. Would it yield profits with a higher price tag, due to their costly investment to do such a task?

The success of the cheap 16:9 releases speaks for itself. A lot of fans have a lack of knowledge of how the anime was originally presented. People just want a higher ratio of episodes per dollar spent on the release. So a release that has been properly remastered, and they have taken the time and attention to preserve the media would cost more (Level Sets). Fewer fans will part with cash now that the market for DBZ releases is so overly saturated. As a result this 30th anniversary release needs to be something that will have to please the neglected fan base who want a Dragon Box esque release, and has to be affordable to even be considered worth releasing. Otherwise it may just be a repeat of the level sets. This argument just makes me believe that this release will be a limited collectors only situation (which they have stated) like the dragon boxes, so I'd advise ordering early to avoid a similar situation to the Dragon Boxes.

They have mentioned they will have a collectors release, but surely it will cater to the audience who want a proper remastered release... Right? At this point only the devoted fans will be willing to part with cash after paying for the Dragon Boxes and one or more of the other sub par releases. :lol:

I am really hopeful for this release, but at the same time very cautious. Damn it they better get this right. :lol:
I still think a print on demand type situation (Pokemon are doing exactly this for a giant Furret doll that was just announced) would be perfect route for them to take if these are the full series. There is currently so many ways to watch DBZ atm even moreso than back in the level set days (not to mention all the new material for people to invest in too, and Japan has showed Z doesn't exactly carry the weight it's brand used to have). Plus this way they can insure fans investment up front instead of even a regular limited release where fans might not invest immediately like the Dboxes in which if I am not mistaken where marked down significantly in price at one stage.

I don't give a shit about Z at all and I won't invest in these at all but I do want it to be a success so we can maybe one day get the vastly superior OG DB series on BD, but the above situation is the only way I can see it being so but even then would fans be willing to part something like $500 all in one go? 291 eps of a good remaster ain't gonna be cheap...