Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:27 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 pm
Scsigs wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 pm They might've made their own previews, which were just editing together clips of the episodes with the narrator having his "Next time on Dragon Ball Z" speeches. I don't know because I wasn't really watching the show at that time, but that's MY best guess.
They did have next episode previews I believe they were only for the Freeza saga though, here's one I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1SaUfTAQ5M
And of course then you have the NEP's with absolutely hilarious over the top lines, i remember as a kid this one in particular always make me laugh my butt off whenever the episode came on.

KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!!!!! :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhbMDFSveQ
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am @KBABZ

By "OG Dragon Box" you mean the Dragon Ball: Dragon Box or the Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Z? I guess it's the former but it's confusing.
Yes, I'm referring to the Dragon Box for the original anime, this lovely little guy:

It's a bit irritating how many fans don't call the Z one Dragon Box Z and just call it "the Dragon Box" because it kinda forces me to throw in the OG to make it clear what I'm talking about.
Ah, I see your point but if TOEI makes Blu-ray Dragon Boxes (DB/Z/GT) which is unlikely but a possibility, it blurs the line as to which Dragon Box we're referring to 'cause, at that stage they're all OG Dragon Boxes. :P Dragon Ball Kai kinda got a Dragon Box treatment in that in Japan they included like "Dragon Books" for Kai.

Anyway, the Dragon Boxes Z especially the Japanese ones played uncompressed as offered on the respective DVDs looks really nice on TV and it's just grainy enough without being too much (yeah, that's a dig at the Level BDs, lol).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 amAh, I see your point but if TOEI makes Blu-ray Dragon Boxes (DB/Z/GT) which is unlikely but a possibility, it blurs the line as to which Dragon Box we're referring to 'cause, at that stage they're all OG Dragon Boxes. :P Dragon Ball Kai kinda got a Dragon Box treatment in that in Japan they included like "Dragon Books" for Kai.
I guess at that point I'd call them DVDragon Boxes and... BDragon Boxes? Man names are hard!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:23 am

Have you guys noticed that several of the BluRay season sets of DBZ have been on sale lately.

I'm showing the current price ($15.99 for the set I linked) is the lowest it's been in 5 years (same with Season 6). It's almost like they are trying to move stock before a new version comes out. Amazon has done this for other movies/shows in the past.

Just an observation - although not all seasons at lows.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am

ect5150 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:23 am Have you guys noticed that several of the BluRay season sets of DBZ have been on sale lately.

I'm showing the current price ($15.99 for the set I linked) is the lowest it's been in 5 years (same with Season 6). It's almost like they are trying to move stock before a new version comes out. Amazon has done this for other movies/shows in the past.

Yes I have, I remember a few weeks back a couple of them were actually as low as $12.99 which was very surprising on I believe 1-3, 8, and 9. I figured the two were linked since the announcement happened shortly after. Prices have gone back up, though.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:07 pm

ect5150 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:23 am Have you guys noticed that several of the BluRay season sets of DBZ have been on sale lately.

Meh, sometimes they have spotlight sales where some things go down in price for a small time. I still think that price is $15.99 too much, but I don't blame them, since it's Dragon Ball Z's 30th anniversary year, the sets are probably gonna sell. And if it was the last of their stock, I think the prices would stay lower for longer.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Since next episode previews were brought up recently, I compared one from the dub with the original Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_yD7FsHeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV4jw_Y1BQU

It looks like the dub NEPs did base themselves off the Japanese ones. The only thing the dub lacks is the Next Time card on the first two seconds. Besides that, Goku's narration in the dub syncs with the Japanese version just fine.

So I guess the main problem with NEPs is how much of the series they covered. I was able to find a youtube channel with clips of them up until the start of the Cell Games and I have no idea if there were more after that or if they ever dubbed them when they redubbed the first 54 episodes.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Funimation dubd every next episode preview from episode 1 to 276 (since they cut the first three seasons of their dub, it shorten’d the episode count). From what I’ve read on here, the Ultimate Uncut Special Edition redub didn’t include dubbing the next episode previews. Or if they did, they at least didn’t air them on TV. Maybe the DVD singles had them? (For the final episode of each disc only of course)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm Funimation dubd every next episode preview from episode 1 to 276 (since they cut the first three seasons of their dub, it shorten’d the episode count). From what I’ve read on here, the Ultimate Uncut Special Edition redub didn’t include dubbing the next episode previews. Or if they did, they at least didn’t air them on TV. Maybe the DVD singles had them? (For the final episode of each disc only of course)
I can't remember clearly but I think the singles do, or specifically the edited singles. FUNimation probably assumes that the edited NEPs are irrelevant as they were made in mind for the 276 version but it'd be cool to see them as extras on this.

The Spaniard anime distributor (Selecta Vision) included the NEPs of DBZ on their extras' section, of their Spanish Dragon Box Z (they did remaster it but it was kinda unnecessary) release.

Edit: The FUNi GT Singles also featured NEPs but those were uncut, although with the Menza score. :(

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:03 pm

DBGT has them, DB doesn't (if I recall correctly), and DBZ has all but for the Ultimate Uncute Special Edition dub (maybe). FUNi's first two seasons do have ALL the NEPs on the Rock the Dragon Set, but after that it gets sketchy... Only the final episode on each disc/tape (of the singles) has the NEP. But of course, FUNi has them, so we just have to cross our fingers that they put them on this release instead of just having their dub skip NEPs like on their release of the Dragon Box Z sets. I also hope for the NEPs to be BEFORE the ending credits. Both the Japanese TV airing and the FUNi dub's TV airing had the NEPs before the ending credits. It's just not right to have it any other way.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Wait, you want NEP's THEN end credits?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 pm

The problem with NEPs is that Kyle Hebert never recorded most them as they weren't on the Bricks. The only way would be to use Dale Kelly's ones, which would be inconsistent with the Remastered dub. Unless they include the OG Funi dub it's not possible, and even then that doesn't help Seasons 1 and 2.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:05 pm Wait, you want NEP's THEN end credits?
It's been well documented that this was how the show was originally presented during its first airing. So if we want something authentic to the original experience, Episode > Preview > End credits is the order we should have.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:05 pm Wait, you want NEP's THEN end credits?
It's been well documented that this was how the show was originally presented during its first airing. So if we want something authentic to the original experience, Episode > Preview > End credits is the order we should have.
That seems so overly concrete bound. When I think of an authentic original experience, the arbitrary order of the NEP and credits isn't even on my list. I think of things like opening closing animations. And if you ask me, it makes more sense to have credits than previews given that credits are actually part of the episode whereas NEP's are advertisements.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

But that’s how all shows were done back then. You’re just used to the modern style, and clearly didn’t spend half a decade watching the show end the episode (the main part) with the NEP coming up next. Not having it in the correct order is like having an album with the tracks out of order from what you’ve always heard.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm But that’s how all shows were done back then. You’re just used to the modern style, and clearly didn’t spend half a decade watching the show end the episode (the main part) with the NEP coming up next. Not having it in the correct order is like having an album with the tracks out of order from what you’ve always heard.
The reason Toei made that switch of having the NEP's after the closing credits for all three series on the Dragon Boxes from how the order was during the original broadcasts was indeed to apparently conform to the newer standard that started in around the late '90s, and i believe they have done that same thing for just about the vast majority of their various older anime series going all the way back to the '60s.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm But that’s how all shows were done back then. You’re just used to the modern style, and clearly didn’t spend half a decade watching the show end the episode (the main part) with the NEP coming up next. Not having it in the correct order is like having an album with the tracks out of order from what you’ve always heard.
No because track orders are done to give albums the best flow. The NEP's aren't really part of the episode. I would argue that the original style isn't the correct order. The NEP's are fun, but they're just promotion for the next week's installment. In the era of streaming and home video release, they are superfluous. The credits are important as they give the people who produced the show their due.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Just a head's up, new 30th Anniversary merch is getting rolled out:
Now how amusing would it be for this Blu-ray set to not make 3000 preorders... ? :?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm

I guess a rationale for NEP then credits during broadcast is because the fans probably would change the channel if credits came first.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm I guess a rationale for NEP then credits during broadcast is because the fans probably would change the channel if credits came first.
I believe that is the reason given back on the main site where it's discussed on a Dragon Box page (I think).