Samsung ends Blu-ray player production, impact on DB media?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Samsung ends Blu-ray player production, impact on DB media?

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Physical Media won't die, but we will see a lot less of it at your normal stores. The Blu-Ray / CD sections at Best-Buy, Walmart, and Target seem to shrink more and more each year. To the point where the book section is just as large. Even the potato chip isle in the front of all Best-Buys is larger than the media section
El Conejo Malo

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am

So the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons is being removed from streaming services, digital stores and future reprintings. With this sort of meddling from studios there will always be a demand for physical media because there are just fans who won't stand for it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am So the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons is being removed from streaming services, digital stores and future reprintings. With this sort of meddling from studios there will always be a demand for physical media because there are just fans who won't stand for it.
Nothing new, really. That's kinda like licensing with games, if the license expires then said games are removed completely from all digital game stores (which is why you can't buy The Simpsons Arcade whether on PS, Xbox, Steam, iTunes).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am So the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons is being removed from streaming services, digital stores and future reprintings. With this sort of meddling from studios there will always be a demand for physical media because there are just fans who won't stand for it.
Sure, but in cases like these, they could just as easily remove the episode from any reprint.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Sure, but in cases like these, they could just as easily remove the episode from any reprint.
But they won't be able to remove it from all the second hand copies in circulation.

Now in future if a title were to be only released digitally, the person paying for it would be at the mercy of the license holder to not make any alterations.

As it pertains to Dragon Ball I can't see fans accepting this with future content if there is no DVD/Blu-Ray option. We've seen how sought after the Yamamoto score in Kai is, the fact there are physical copies floating around means anyone who tracks down a copy will always have control over what version they can watch.

The John Campeas of this world can defend digital purchases all they want, but it will come back to bite them in the ass when there is a new series/movie they love and overwhelmingly prefer it as it was originally created.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm
But they won't be able to remove it from all the second hand copies in circulation.

Now in future if a title were to be only released digitally, the person paying for it would be at the mercy of the license holder to not make any alterations.

As it pertains to Dragon Ball I can't see fans accepting this with future content if there is no DVD/Blu-Ray option. We've seen how sought after the Yamamoto score in Kai is, the fact there are physical copies floating around means anyone who tracks down a copy will always have control over what version they can watch.

The John Campeas of this world can defend digital purchases all they want, but it will come back to bite them in the ass when there is a new series/movie they love and overwhelmingly prefer it as it was originally created.
No better than being at the mercy of the seller who decides he/she won't sell except at some exorbitant price because the hard copy contains footage unavailable on digital.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm

It won't ever be truly lost. I would say something about this only strengthening piracy, but I won't endorse it due to the rules.

It's still fucking stupid though.

[Edit] Yup, looks like scalpers are buying up and hoarding the season 3 DVD set that has the Michael Jackson episode.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Oniman
Banned

Post by Oniman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Physical media is hardly dead and there is other Blu-Ray players that you can buy too.

https://www.collectionconnections.com/t ... jHPDYGFBSQ
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 pm I also wouldn't be shocked if DVD ended up outliving Blu-ray in the long run, they're so cheap to produce and still so convenient for a large swath of consumers.
I think you’re right about this. I’ve heard that DVD has outsold Blu-ray every year since Blu-ray cane out with the reason being that DVDs are good enough quality and have been a lot cheaper. Heck, I’ve fallen out of love with Blu-rays and bought the DVD of Creed II over the Blu-ray because it was $10 cheaper.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:27 pm
Kuwabara wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 pm I also wouldn't be shocked if DVD ended up outliving Blu-ray in the long run, they're so cheap to produce and still so convenient for a large swath of consumers.
I think you’re right about this. I’ve heard that DVD has outsold Blu-ray every year since Blu-ray cane out with the reason being that DVDs are good enough quality and have been a lot cheaper. Heck, I’ve fallen out of love with Blu-rays and bought the DVD of Creed II over the Blu-ray because it was $10 cheaper.
No statistics to back up what I have to say but there's a considerable amount of Westerners who know what a DVD is while don't know about Blu-rays. Heck, they call it like "DVDs in HD" because DVDs are far more popular and cheaper, and convenient.

The transition of VHS to DVD was grand but DVD to Blu-ray? It's still a big step but not a whole lot make a big deal about picture quality or audio, these customers are more in favor of convenience over quality and why streaming services have expanded so much. We're not the majority but the minority.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Digital is definitely the future, there's just no doubt about that. Companies will do whatever it takes to cut corners and save on costs.
The only reason as to why Vinyl is popular again is because people love collecting them. Most of the friends I have that collect vinyls don't even listen to them on the turntable, and if they do have one it's also just for display purposes. I don't think most people are going to go out of their way to get a regular Dragon Ball Z DVD (unless it's the Dragon Boxes) when Dragon Ball Z remastered in 8K releases digitally in 2030.

Personally, I've made the transition to digital two years ago and I have not looked back. My digital iTunes library is already full of over 250 films and I love adding on to it. Also, most of my HD movies were upgraded to 4K for free. I would have had to re-buy all of them physically in 4K and then hope I could resell the Bluray version for anything! I also specifically chose Apple iTunes because, come on, the odds of Apple going out of business and me losing my digital library during my lifetime, or ever, are relatively low. There'd probably be a greater chance of my physical collection catching on fire during the course of my life than Apple going out of business. Companies like Apple, Disney, Google, etc.. they'll probably never die.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:24 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 pm Digital is definitely the future, there's just no doubt about that.
I would argue digital is the present and future and the past..... The overwhelming majority of people that I know use both digital and physical. Not one or the other. Kids these days always forget that back in 1994, Sega (company that makes videogames) already had high definition graphics on their videogames, as well as an online digital infrastructure to allow you to download new games directly your game console.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:24 am

Apologies to the mods for bumping this thread, but I think it's useful information as this topic will inevitably be brought up again.

According to Media Play News Research on the week ending Sept 14th overall disc sales rose by 32.98%, Blu-Ray and UHD disc sales in particular rose by a staggering 95.9% compared to the same week last year.

Now this data obviously isn't specific to Dragon Ball home media, but we all know this series has always sold well anyway so I think it's pretty safe to say that Blu-Rays for both past and future content won't be going anywhere.

DVD went down by 5.7% so that format may be on the way out, especially with Super selling more copies on Blu-Ray, but even that might take some time.

So keep supporting the official release everyone, as long as you do not company will ever be able to take this series we love so much away from us :thumbup: