What happened to Oob?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

What happened to Oob?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm

We saw him in Z, GT and Kai but that was it.. right? It would have been great to have him on Dragon Ball Super or Super Dragon Ball Heroes as Oob is a character with a lot of potential.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6010
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:35 pm

He was mentioned once in Super.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WhowhoYouwho
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:39 pm

You know, that's actually an interesting question! It doesn't even have the problem of the show and manga being different to contend with, as both end with Goku suddenly flying off with Uub to go do whatever. Maybe Toriyama just didn't like the idea anymore by the time things started picking back up, or maybe he liked the idea but couldn't think of a way to incorporate it into what he wanted to do by then? I do think Uub has potential as well, as the show and manga just kinda went "here's this guy!", ok, "he's kid buu but reincarnated!", oh cool, "Goku's just gonna fly off with him to do whatever now!", HUH!? Maybe someone here knows of an interview where they discussed this?

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm

The reason that we haven't seen him in Super is pretty clear in that Super takes place between the Majin Boo arc and the end of Z, where Oob is introduced. It'd make no sense to have him appear in Super, as it currently stands. Until the series past the point of his introduction, we can't reasonably expect him to appear anytime soon.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6193
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm

It's worth mentioning that Uub does appear in Dragon Ball Super, in the manga version. Making him a better case than Tarble at least, poor guy only gets mentioned but no appearance at all.
Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17686
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:The reason that we haven't seen him in Super is pretty clear in that Super takes place between the Majin Boo arc and the end of Z, where Oob is introduced. It'd make no sense to have him appear in Super, as it currently stands. Until the series past the point of his introduction, we can't reasonably expect him to appear anytime soon.
Beyond power that he was born with due to being a reincarnation of what was, until GT or Super, the strongest being in the universe, what does potential does he bring to the table?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16591
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 pm

As stated, Super takes place during an existing time skip in the original serialization (after Age 774, when Boo appears and is defeated), while Oob originally appears at the end / after said skip (Age 784).

In Super:

Oob is mentioned, though not by name, as Goku and the others attempt to form a team to compete against Universe 6. Goku mentions that the evil Boo has been reincarnated as a human, but says that this reincarnation is still too young to compete. (Super episode 30)

Prior to the Tournament of Power, as Goku once again attempts to form a team, he and Dende fly toward No. 17's island in an attempt to recruit him. Along the way, Dende mentions a powerful young boy in a village that Goku should train. Unfortunately, since he is still a child, Goku cannot bring him along. Dende remarks that once he is older, Goku should teach him to use his power, because he is the reincarnation of the evil Boo. Goku says he is looking forward to meeting the boy some day. (Super episode 86) The manga version of this scene provides an actual brief glimpse at Oob himself, carrying supplies and one of his siblings on his back. (Super manga chapter 31)

Image

In Heroes:

I dunno. Here's there. Pretty sure he joined me in Ultimate Mission X at some point.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:22 pm

ABED wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:The reason that we haven't seen him in Super is pretty clear in that Super takes place between the Majin Boo arc and the end of Z, where Oob is introduced. It'd make no sense to have him appear in Super, as it currently stands. Until the series past the point of his introduction, we can't reasonably expect him to appear anytime soon.
Beyond power that he was born with due to being a reincarnation of what was, until GT or Super, the strongest being in the universe, what does potential does he bring to the table?
What potential did Goku bring to the table in his opening chapters, or Krillin, or Videl? They had none until the story gave them some. IMO the reason why Uub has come off as such an empty character is because no story has bothered to "fill" him.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17686
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Oob isn't a "character", but he's also not really meant to be one. He serves as the resolution for Goku's character at the very end of the story.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by louisascommie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 am

ABED wrote:Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
Pan's loves intrest, and he does nothing else.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am

I feel like you could tell a nice by-the-book shonen manga spin-off series with Uub. Kind boy with large poor family, but he's got these powers that he doesn't understand and turns out they're because he's a reincarnated majin and you'd have him defending his home and family against people coming after him or after who he used to be. It'd be serious drama stuff. He just wants his family to be safe and earn enough money for them to live well and be healthy. Very earnest and emotional.


The thing is it's not a very Toriyama setup.

I think it would work as a spin-off manga title though with someone else at the helm who enjoys the more typical shonen tropes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3734
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:04 am

Chuquita wrote:I feel like you could tell a nice by-the-book shonen manga spin-off series with Uub. Kind boy with large poor family, but he's got these powers that he doesn't understand and turns out they're because he's a reincarnated majin and you'd have him defending his home and family against people coming after him or after who he used to be. It'd be serious drama stuff. He just wants his family to be safe and earn enough money for them to live well and be healthy. Very earnest and emotional.


The thing is it's not a very Toriyama setup.

I think it would work as a spin-off manga title though with someone else at the helm who enjoys the more typical shonen tropes.
I don't think it would have much mileage, but I think you could get a pretty fun 2- or 3-volume run out of it.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
Potara-Warrior96
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:55 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:53 am

louisascommie wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 am
ABED wrote:Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
Pan's loves intrest, and he does nothing else.
Not this either hopfully.

User avatar
SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 pm

I swear some of you guys don't even watch the show or read the manga. As VegettoEX said, Super is taking place between the end of the Majin Boo arc and the tournament seen at the end of Z where Oob appears. Right now, he is simply too young to be mentioned or even useful.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 am

Oob has potential, but he is still a little child in the current moment of Dragon Ball Super.

User avatar
shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:15 am

In GT, what happened to Uub is that he rejoined with Majin Buu to form Majuub, and then his post-GT fate was never revealed, just like most characters aside from Pan and implications made for Goku.
In Super, he was too young to amount to anything, and his involvement in the story outside of a singular direct mention in one arc towards the end of Super would break the timeline

/thread

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am

ABED wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
Uub serves as a sort of reflection of Goku's own origins, which brings Goku full circle. Goku was sent to earth as a tool for destruction, but had his memory erased and was raised and trained by a kindly martial artist to become Earth's greatest protector. Now Goku is the kindly martial artist who is tasked with training someone who was created as a tool for destruction and subsequently had their memory erased.

Honestly, it's probably best if they never actually continue past EoZ, since the point of Uub is that he is supposed to replace Goku, but it's pretty obvious that they would never actually have that happen if they made a show set after EoZ.
Chuquita wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am
I feel like you could tell a nice by-the-book shonen manga spin-off series with Uub. Kind boy with large poor family, but he's got these powers that he doesn't understand and turns out they're because he's a reincarnated majin and you'd have him defending his home and family against people coming after him or after who he used to be. It'd be serious drama stuff. He just wants his family to be safe and earn enough money for them to live well and be healthy. Very earnest and emotional.


The thing is it's not a very Toriyama setup.

I think it would work as a spin-off manga title though with someone else at the helm who enjoys the more typical shonen tropes.
That would be the logical direction to take it. The real problem is that Goku is just way too popular to not have the spotlight. There will never be a Dragon Ball series without Goku front and center. So the best we can hope for is for them to leave Uub's future up to our imaginations, rather than ruining it like GT did.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17686
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am

Muffin Man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am
ABED wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
Uub serves as a sort of reflection of Goku's own origins, which brings Goku full circle. Goku was sent to earth as a tool for destruction, but had his memory erased and was raised and trained by a kindly martial artist to become Earth's greatest protector. Now Goku is the kindly martial artist who is tasked with training someone who was created as a tool for destruction and subsequently had their memory erased.

Honestly, it's probably best if they never actually continue past EoZ, since the point of Uub is that he is supposed to replace Goku, but it's pretty obvious that they would never actually have that happen if they made a show set after EoZ.
Chuquita wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am
I feel like you could tell a nice by-the-book shonen manga spin-off series with Uub. Kind boy with large poor family, but he's got these powers that he doesn't understand and turns out they're because he's a reincarnated majin and you'd have him defending his home and family against people coming after him or after who he used to be. It'd be serious drama stuff. He just wants his family to be safe and earn enough money for them to live well and be healthy. Very earnest and emotional.


The thing is it's not a very Toriyama setup.

I think it would work as a spin-off manga title though with someone else at the helm who enjoys the more typical shonen tropes.
That would be the logical direction to take it. The real problem is that Goku is just way too popular to not have the spotlight. There will never be a Dragon Ball series without Goku front and center. So the best we can hope for is for them to leave Uub's future up to our imaginations, rather than ruining it like GT did.
Goku gets the spotlight because he's the main character and the emotional core of the show. Changing it to someone else, and Uub of all characters, would be a big mistake this far in.

Uub was never meant to replace Goku. Uub was meant to represent thematic closure for Goku and thus DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:39 am

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am
Muffin Man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am
ABED wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Kuririn brought his antagonism that turned into an eventual best friendship.

Videl brought an outsider's perspective to the group as well as the madcap "will they, won't they" romance aspect to the show that it didn't have before.

Pan is Goku's granddaughter so there's a built in emotional connection with Goku. Seeing Goku as a grandfather brings something new to the table. All Uub brings is another body.
Uub serves as a sort of reflection of Goku's own origins, which brings Goku full circle. Goku was sent to earth as a tool for destruction, but had his memory erased and was raised and trained by a kindly martial artist to become Earth's greatest protector. Now Goku is the kindly martial artist who is tasked with training someone who was created as a tool for destruction and subsequently had their memory erased.

Honestly, it's probably best if they never actually continue past EoZ, since the point of Uub is that he is supposed to replace Goku, but it's pretty obvious that they would never actually have that happen if they made a show set after EoZ.
Chuquita wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am
I feel like you could tell a nice by-the-book shonen manga spin-off series with Uub. Kind boy with large poor family, but he's got these powers that he doesn't understand and turns out they're because he's a reincarnated majin and you'd have him defending his home and family against people coming after him or after who he used to be. It'd be serious drama stuff. He just wants his family to be safe and earn enough money for them to live well and be healthy. Very earnest and emotional.


The thing is it's not a very Toriyama setup.

I think it would work as a spin-off manga title though with someone else at the helm who enjoys the more typical shonen tropes.
That would be the logical direction to take it. The real problem is that Goku is just way too popular to not have the spotlight. There will never be a Dragon Ball series without Goku front and center. So the best we can hope for is for them to leave Uub's future up to our imaginations, rather than ruining it like GT did.
Goku gets the spotlight because he's the main character and the emotional core of the show. Changing it to someone else, and Uub of all characters, would be a big mistake this far in.

Uub was never meant to replace Goku. Uub was meant to represent thematic closure for Goku and thus DB.
You say that as though other stories haven't successfully replaced the hero with a successor.

The reason it wouldn't work for DB is simply because Goku himself is too popular, not because a story focusing on characters other than Goku wouldn't work. Yeah, it would have a different emotional core, and thus be a different show, that's the whole point.

But I agree that Uub was never intended to replace Goku in real life, only in-universe, hence why AT will never write a story set after EoZ.

Post Reply