Packaging: Orange Bricks AU/UK Vs. US

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Packaging: Orange Bricks AU/UK Vs. US

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

We all know it was a terrible release but there were a few good things about it. For example, the packaging difference between countries.

FUNimation originally released it in paper boxes so as time passes it eventually becomes noticeable that the bottom has been worn out, whereas the Madman release (+ Manga UK repackaged release) was made of plastic. I guess FUNi tried being more eco-friendly by not using plastic.

R1 - FUNimation

R4 - Madman

R2 - Manga UK

I recall that the R4 (+ R2) had booklets (not the R2 release though) too but it didn't have dual angles like the R1 DVDs did. Maybe I'm misremembering.

So despite that AU/UK have technically the better packaging, I'd recommend the US version because you can watch the episodes with Japanese credits although cropped in a fake 16:9 AR. And if I recall correctly, "Season 9" looked fairly decent to me with the only con being that it was in 16:9 AR.

"Season 9" DVD vs Blu-ray

The Blu-ray version turned everything into a smeary, water color paint but that's what you get for a budget automated release.

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Packaging: Orange Bricks AU/UK Vs. US

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 am

Manga UK packaging is definitely superior but I have to say, if I owned them on my shelf, having every set with episode numbers except for the first one would trigger the hell out of me.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:57 am

As someone that owned the Aus Orange Bricks, the packaging is straight garbage. The clips that hold the disc in place break so easily even after little use. The spines don't match up either, if I recall Season 1 Vegeta's face on the spine was thinner or positioned differently.

I traded all my Orange Bricks in for Blu-ray and haven't looked back. For me the pro's outweigh the negatives. Those being less shelf space, better menus and menu music (in my opinion) and cleaner more consistent packaging.

I think I also would take the sharpness, much better sound, selective cropping and much more natural colors of the Blu-ray release.

Sure the orange bricks have less of that water paint effect going on, but to me that's really only an issue on the backgrounds. The booklet is missed as well but is anyone reading that thing more than once if that?

People might disagree with my opinions and I think my opinions on the preservation of the original footage have changed since the time I wrote this review but if anyone wants a good review of the blu-ray feel free to check out my detailed one. The picture of Shenron at the beginning of the visuals section speaks volume to me.

https://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/dra ... -8-review/

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 am

nato25 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:57 am As someone that owned the Aus Orange Bricks, the packaging is straight garbage. The clips that hold the disc in place break so easily even after little use. The spines don't match up either, if I recall Season 1 Vegeta's face on the spine was thinner or positioned differently.

I traded all my Orange Bricks in for Blu-ray and haven't looked back. For me the pro's outweigh the negatives. Those being less shelf space, better menus and menu music (in my opinion) and cleaner more consistent packaging.

I think I also would take the sharpness, much better sound, selective cropping and much more natural colors of the Blu-ray release.

Sure the orange bricks have less of that water paint effect going on, but to me that's really only an issue on the backgrounds. The booklet is missed as well but is anyone reading that thing more than once if that?

People might disagree with my opinions and I think my opinions on the preservation of the original footage have changed since the time I wrote this review but if anyone wants a good review of the blu-ray feel free to check out my detailed one. The picture of Shenron at the beginning of the visuals section speaks volume to me.

https://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/dra ... -8-review/
I had Madman's DBZ Season 4 on DVD and the clips that held the discs were perfectly fine, but I eventually sold it because I didn't want it.

Now, as for the "selective cropping" that's more or less random luck. On the comparison below, the Season DVDs look better and could've even been great had it not been in 16:9 AR.

These screenshots were originally posted by Ajay:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:20 am

Yeah fair enough on the cropping I fell for the marketing there haha. That last example is bad. No one wins with cropping I guess.

In all honesty 16:9 doesnt phase me, I'm probably in the minority that prefers it as i dont like black bars and to me nothing of importance is really lost. I totally get why people are upset but I'm not in your camp sorry.

The tint on colours is actually what bothers me the most, especially on kai. What version do people say has best colour accuracy? Obviously i know orange bricks are over saturated and I've heard people want to colour correct the dragon boxes?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:41 am

Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT bricks all together sets quite a nice collectible charm to it.

From an Amazon customer:

It's a shame Manga UK didn't license the GT Singles from Madman rather than the Green Bricks.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Manga UK didn't sell the Blue Brick footage was because Madman never bothered to acquire it for some inexplicable reason, unlike with the orange and green Bricks.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:44 am

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Manga UK didn't sell the Blue Brick footage was because Madman never bothered to acquire it for some inexplicable reason, unlike with the orange and green Bricks.
Yeah, i guess they decided to just license Manga UK their version of the Saga Sets rather than acquiring the Blue Brick footage from FUNi.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:55 am

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Manga UK didn't sell the Blue Brick footage was because Madman never bothered to acquire it for some inexplicable reason, unlike with the orange and green Bricks.
Madman didn't bother, you're right. They only released the Saga Sets and that was it. Thank God because that's still way better than the Blue Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:55 am
Madman didn't bother, you're right. They only released the Saga Sets and that was it. Thank God because that's still way better than the Blue Bricks.
I would've gotten the Saga Sets and definitely considered them, though the thing is the entire first arc is not available that way outside of the Region 2/4 release so the Blue Bricks were my only option there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Is the compresson of the non 1-13 episodes better than the FUNi releases? Cause thats a huge flaw for those

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Was it Madman or Manga UK with the Baba episodes being messed up on the Japanese side? I don't think it matters if the footage is better than other footage if you have to play games with your player to play the episodes in order.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Is the compresson of the non 1-13 episodes better than the FUNi releases? Cause thats a huge flaw for those
The episodes to me all look really good on the Madman version so my only real complain is the lack of NEPs. I can't say if the compression looks better or worse but I enjoyed every moment of it, though.
Char Aznable wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm Was it Madman or Manga UK with the Baba episodes being messed up on the Japanese side? I don't think it matters if the footage is better than other footage if you have to play games with your player to play the episodes in order.
Manga UK just repackaged it. Madman was the one who screwed up the disc authoring and they never fixed it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:18 am

This is yet another interesting comparison screenshot of the DVD vs Blu-ray:

Gotta love that selective cropping on the Blu-rays. :P

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 am

Haha wow that zoom in is ridiculoud. Man do I hate the dub credits on the orange bricks and bluray.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:18 am This is yet another interesting comparison screenshot of the DVD vs Blu-ray:

Gotta love that selective cropping on the Blu-rays. :P
That was an issue addressed and fixed in later sets. Has anyone noticed and reprints of season one that fixed this issue?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:47 am

Overall Manga UK's packaging is better, but that's not saying much as its still terrible. I wish Manga UK used slipcovers back then like they thankfully do now with their Dragon Ball releases. If they just included slipcovers that had the Dragon Ball Z with Shenron image on the back spines it would have resolved the biggest issue with Funimation's packaging, which was that you had to discard the slipcovers to see that image. Another issue they could have easily resolved was stacked discs :(
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: