Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Bullza wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:50 pm
A couple years ago they actually went the "Diverse and Inclusive" PC route. Thor became Female Thor, Iron Man became the black female Iron Man, Hulk became Asian Hulk, Ms Marvel became Muslim Ms Marvel amongst other things.
That's still nothing new. DC and Marvel had black versions of their main superheroes for a while (Earth 2 Superman and Miles Morales) and what's wrong with that? Even in the 90s black superheroes like Spawn was the best selling comic book character and was popular with non comic book readers. There's nothing wrong with diversity and none of the recent comic book stuff like a Muslim Ms. Marvel feels like it is PC culture being force in.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Spawn was a new character. Al Simmons wasn't taking over the role of Spawn from a previous white version of the character. Publishers didn't give a character with another race/sex the role. The new Avengers all being "diverse" takes on the old superheroes feels blatant in its pandering, not to mention just awful, not because its PC but because it's badly written. I'm fine if other characters take over older roles in the MCU if they continue with the same universe and don't reboot, but execution matters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:07 pm Spawn was a new character. Al Simmons wasn't taking over the role of Spawn from a previous white version of the character. Publishers didn't give a character with another race/sex the role. The new Avengers all being "diverse" takes on the old superheroes feels blatant in its pandering, not to mention just awful, not because its PC but because it's badly written. I'm fine if other characters take over older roles in the MCU if they continue with the same universe and don't reboot, but execution matters.
Execution matters but it was always ridiculous that Marvel is mostly set in New York but the majority of their heroes were white as a clearance sale at Sears.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun May 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pmThere's nothing wrong with diversity and none of the recent comic book stuff like a Muslim Ms. Marvel feels like it is PC culture being force in.
Oh it was definitely forced in alright, they threw in all their diverse eggs into one basket at once.

There's nothing wrong with diversity but a lot wrong with pandering. Regardless of personal opinions, from a business perspective, the whole thing was a failure for Marvel that they had to quickly rectify.

If a Marvel Executive has to come out and blame a huge sales slump because of the focus they put on being diverse then that shows what the problem is.

And it's not just limited to diversity. Like the other example I gave about Mortal Kombat, another long established series where for the newest game they covered up the women and it was met with overwhelming backlash from long time fans and they've bombed the reviews.

People hate things like that. So if Dragon Ball, what is and has been hugely well loved for decades now, does this same kind of unnecessary pandering to be PC, then they will lose people for sure. If it can happen to Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Supergirl, Battlefield etc then it can happen to Dragon Ball.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Bullza wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:28 pm
And it's not just limited to diversity. Like the other example I gave about Mortal Kombat, another long established series where for the newest game they covered up the women and it was met with overwhelming backlash from long time fans and they've bombed the reviews.
Because sad neckbeards need to jerk off to pixel boobs. You’re not making a good case here.
People hate things like that.
Oh please. People who throw a fit over not getting to see pixelated tiddies are hardly “people”.
So if Dragon Ball, what is and has been hugely well loved for decades now, does this same kind of unnecessary pandering to be PC, then they will lose people for sure. If it can happen to Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Supergirl, Battlefield etc then it can happen to Dragon Ball.
And yet Marvel’s film and television unit is doing just fine. Mortal Kombat is still relatively popular. Supergirl is more popular now than she ever has been

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:07 pm Spawn was a new character. Al Simmons wasn't taking over the role of Spawn from a previous white version of the character. Publishers didn't give a character with another race/sex the role. The new Avengers all being "diverse" takes on the old superheroes feels blatant in its pandering, not to mention just awful, not because its PC but because it's badly written. I'm fine if other characters take over older roles in the MCU if they continue with the same universe and don't reboot, but execution matters.
Execution matters but it was always ridiculous that Marvel is mostly set in New York but the majority of their heroes were white as a clearance sale at Sears.
And fair enough, but the solution isn't to piggy back off of other creators and put someone else in that slot. Create new characters. The publishers may not be ready, but I think the audience is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 4:00 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 pm And fair enough, but the solution isn't to piggy back off of other creators and put someone else in that slot. Create new characters.
Is that not what comics do all the time? Daredevil wasn’t originally a devout Catholic. Magneto wasn’t originally a holocaust survivor. Peter Parker was originally a born unlucky angry nerd under his original artist Steve Ditko.

There’s been multiple people to take on the mantle of Flash and Green Latern. And the DCAU just gave Jon Stewart the more popular and well known Green Latern’s personality and back story to allow for diversity.

Comic books are probably the worst example of canon is a rigid thing that matters and can’t be changed.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm

I don't know what is the problem here. Every media you cite here, are pictures and legacy of an era, they were created in.
There were times, when African-Americans, were called black people. Those times, thank god, are gone and our society turns be small steps to be diverse and just. Tough I am not fan of bending history anyhow... if you make movie with historical context, you should not shoehorn in African-american as cowboys or something that was impossible back then even more, as people should remember, that there were these times so they won't be repeated again and that we shall cherish and fight for what we have and possibly can have.
This doesn't apply to fantasy, fun movies like Wild Wild West, Jango Unchained or Inglorious Basterds.
And still, those are subject of an era and what is popular back then.
African-Americans aren't prevalent in Japan as well as in my country, there are like few people from Ghana and other African countries, but they are expats, so you won't see them much in culture medias, or mostly not at all.
More like an exotic element (Uub, Attendant Black).
Tough, this is from an 80's-90's series, times change and tough Dragon Ball can't be more racially diverse being from Japan, you see inclusion of more female characters. Sadly, probably because of pervert Otakus, but it is a nice trend.

I am not a fan of Marvel, but I do like DC Comics attitude... introducing John Stewart as african-american Green Lantern, having new character as Black Lightning, Batwoman reintroduced as lesbian... Not making Bruce Wayne someone other, but having ethnic counterpart in Batwing, is clever. As you can't change history, but you can add and I think that having expanded and diverse cast is interesting.

DC having Multiverse, alternate universes, where Earth-2 Superman is african, yeah.

And having females in fighting games... yeah, it is also an eye-candy, in different era, but having strong female characters is plus, and if you watch any recent interview with Ed Boone, you see that they take female characters as that. Hell it started with Ripley in Alien. Thanks to popular culture, I love strong women and I am happy to have one by my side (I don't mean physically but as a character).

The ending context is, I don't mind if Toriyama will go with Ten and Chiaotzu being gay for some fun tidbit in interview, like Mr. Satan being Mark, as it won't have any effect on the story. Because their relationship is not important to the story, the share a strong bond nevertheless.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:00 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 pm And fair enough, but the solution isn't to piggy back off of other creators and put someone else in that slot. Create new characters.
Is that not what comics do all the time? Daredevil wasn’t originally a devout Catholic. Magneto wasn’t originally a holocaust survivor. Peter Parker was originally a born unlucky angry nerd under his original artist Steve Ditko.

There’s been multiple people to take on the mantle of Flash and Green Latern. And the DCAU just gave Jon Stewart the more popular and well known Green Latern’s personality and back story to allow for diversity.

Comic books are probably the worst example of canon is a rigid thing that matters and can’t be changed.
Giving characters altered histories or tweeks isn't the same as a race change. Sexuality change is different as people's sexuality can change.

At the very least with GL, it's a police force in space, so it's not technically putting a new character in Hal's place.

I know canon isn't rigid. Lord knows how many times I've had that conversation, but race changes is a cheap way of creating diversity. Instead of 2 characters, we get one. It's like how people have this hard on for Arrow's John Diggle to be John Stewart. Why? Why go from two characters to one?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 12, 2019 4:13 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Giving characters altered histories or tweeks isn't the same as a race change. Sexuality change is different as people's sexuality can change.

At the very least with GL, it's a police force in space, so it's not technically putting a new character in Hal's place.

I know canon isn't rigid. Lord knows how many times I've had that conversation, but race changes is a cheap way of creating diversity. Instead of 2 characters, we get one. It's like how people have this hard on for Arrow's John Diggle to be John Stewart. Why? Why go from two characters to one?
This! I can relate to this on 100 %!
Why change the foundation, whe you can go more diverse and extend the lore for something completely new.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm I don't know what is the problem here. Every media you cite here, are pictures and legacy of an era, they were created in.
There were times, when African-Americans, were called black people. Those times, thank god, are gone and our society turns be small steps to be diverse and just.
Uh...what? :eh: I can assure you it's acceptable to call African-Americans "black" and that's still the common word. In fact, most black folks find it weird and uncomfortable when white people, etc. strictly adhere to "African American" because it's obvious they're trying to be PC when in reality they're not offending anybody by saying black.

"Colored" and "negro" on the other hand...
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Because sad neckbeards need to jerk off to pixel boobs. You’re not making a good case here.
People hate things like that.
Oh please. People who throw a fit over not getting to see pixelated tiddies are hardly “people”.
So if Dragon Ball, what is and has been hugely well loved for decades now, does this same kind of unnecessary pandering to be PC, then they will lose people for sure. If it can happen to Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Supergirl, Battlefield etc then it can happen to Dragon Ball.
And yet Marvel’s film and television unit is doing just fine. Mortal Kombat is still relatively popular. Supergirl is more popular now than she ever has been
Wow....such assumptions. MK did not only get review bombed because of the different standard (The excuse for the women was that fighting in their previous outfits wouldn't be 'right' and practical while not applying this same standard to the male fighters) but also because of the terribly grindy Krypt.

Oh and Marvel television is doing fine....except for almost every show getting cancelled.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm I don't know what is the problem here. Every media you cite here, are pictures and legacy of an era, they were created in.
There were times, when African-Americans, were called black people. Those times, thank god, are gone and our society turns be small steps to be diverse and just.
Uh...what? :eh: I can assure you it's acceptable to call African-Americans "black" and that's still the common word. In fact, most black folks find it weird and uncomfortable when white people, etc. strictly adhere to "African American" because it's obvious they're trying to be PC when in reality they're not offending anybody by saying black.

"Colored" and "negro" on the other hand...
Thanks for the post to broaden my view. Yeah, you are probably right, it is thanks to my own cultural heritage, as we don't have this type of issue in my country as we have plethora of different issues. Most people here know about slavery and the slur n-word later in life, tough there is lot of fans of Hip-Hop and as kid, I was listening to Niggaz With Attitude, N. W. A. for short. So it definitely has different connotation + if you add the vocal groups hat fight for rights and have the pop culture (comics, TV, etc.) embrace it, you are more cautious when approaching the different society from outside. I have got into many problems in the past as a teen on worldwide message boards for some things, that were not understood somewhere else :)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 am

Jord wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 am Wow....such assumptions. MK did not only get review bombed because of the different standard (The excuse for the women was that fighting in their previous outfits wouldn't be 'right' and practical while not applying this same standard to the male fighters) but also because of the terribly grindy Krypt.

Oh and Marvel television is doing fine....except for almost every show getting cancelled.
Which MK was it? I know that Deadly Alliance and Deception bombed hard if I remember it right and nobody talks much about Armaggedon.
Tough the recent installments since Mortal Kombat (MK9) are universally praised.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon May 13, 2019 4:51 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 am
Jord wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 am Wow....such assumptions. MK did not only get review bombed because of the different standard (The excuse for the women was that fighting in their previous outfits wouldn't be 'right' and practical while not applying this same standard to the male fighters) but also because of the terribly grindy Krypt.

Which MK was it? I know that Deadly Alliance and Deception bombed hard if I remember it right and nobody talks much about Armaggedon.
Tough the recent installments since Mortal Kombat (MK9) are universally praised.
It's the most recent one. MK11

And to bring that on-topic, it does have some Dragon Ball-like skins like a Goku one for Liu Kang.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 13, 2019 7:30 am

Jord wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 amOh and Marvel television is doing fine....except for almost every show getting cancelled.
Not due to bad reviews. It's due to boring IP ownership reasons, not lack of popularity.

All this "get woke, go broke" stuff is nonsense. Most of the outrage is manufactured and an overreaction, and I'm not even to the political left.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 13, 2019 8:38 am

Jord wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 am .

Because Disney doesn’t want their own IP hosted by a competitor when they’re going to have their own streaming platform.

It’s not due to lack of viewership or backlash at the content. Don’t pretend it’s something it isn’t.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pmThere's nothing wrong with diversity and none of the recent comic book stuff like a Muslim Ms. Marvel feels like it is PC culture being force in.
Oh it was definitely forced in alright, they threw in all their diverse eggs into one basket at once.

There's nothing wrong with diversity but a lot wrong with pandering. Regardless of personal opinions, from a business perspective, the whole thing was a failure for Marvel that they had to quickly rectify.

If a Marvel Executive has to come out and blame a huge sales slump because of the focus they put on being diverse then that shows what the problem is.

People hate things like that. So if Dragon Ball, what is and has been hugely well loved for decades now, does this same kind of unnecessary pandering to be PC, then they will lose people for sure. If it can happen to Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Supergirl, Battlefield etc then it can happen to Dragon Ball.
Dragonball isn't a Western franchise so its never gonna pander to the PC/SJW crowd. No Japanese franchise ever does.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 am

The 3D era Mortal Kombat games were commercially successful (each sold over 2 million copies) but critically panned, especially Armageddon and MK vs DC.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Dragonball isn't a Western franchise so its never gonna pander to the PC/SJW crowd. No Japanese franchise ever does.
PreCure, Pocket Monster and Dragon Ball Super all say hello with their massive queer coding.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf