Wait a minute, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Wait a minute, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku??

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:50 am

So this thought just occurred to me. It's generally agreed upon that Clinkenbeard's performance as Kid Goku doesn't work because it's a copy/paste of her performance as Kid/Teen Gohan. So I was wondering, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku if she adjusted her performance as Goten? I think it could work!

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Wait a minute, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku??

Post by Plague-Memories » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 am

After hearing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmMLk5DlsM I'm gonna have to say jesus god no.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am

I was going to say no and explain why, but yeah, that video about sums it up. For me, she is one of the least improved voice actors from Z to Kai.

To this day I can't think of how a good English Goku would even sound. None of the English kid Gokus have really encapsulated Goku's character.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 am

Clinkenbeard’s Kid Goku grew on me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am I was going to say no and explain why, but yeah, that video about sums it up. For me, she is one of the least improved voice actors from Z to Kai.

To this day I can't think of how a good English Goku would even sound. None of the English kid Gokus have really encapsulated Goku's character.
Not even Saphron Henderson?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am I was going to say no and explain why, but yeah, that video about sums it up. For me, she is one of the least improved voice actors from Z to Kai.

Barbra Goodson did a good job, and Clinkenbeard is actually pretty close.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am

No. I've never understood why people elevate her performance above the rest of the Kid Gokus.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 am

No. I've never understood why people elevate her performance above the rest of the Kid Gokus.
Because she's a legit good actress and the voice fits Goku well without sounding unnatural. I would hope you at least see why she's better than Nadolny. There is an innocence to her Goku and an energy to it, unlike Delgadillo who was so soft-spoken and that isn't Goku at all.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:28 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 am
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 am
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am Not even Saphron Henderson?
Because she's a legit good actress and the voice fits Goku well without sounding unnatural. I would hope you at least see why she's better than Nadolny.
Well ok yeah, she's better than Nadolny who may be the worst. She's a good actress for sure, but I still don't think the voice fits very well.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:29 am

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am

Barbra Goodson did a good job, and Clinkenbeard is actually pretty close.
Clinkenbeard for me didn't work as Gohan but fit more Goku's character, it's not even close to perfect but her voice fits Goku more than Gohan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am

What are you looking for with Goku's voice?

If I had to boil it down to two adjectives it would be innocence and energetic.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am What are you looking for with Goku's voice?

If I had to boil it down to two adjectives it would be innocence and energetic.
Well, I should have said I don't see why people elevate Henderson so highly above the rest. She's technically the best, but not enough that it really impresses me.

Yes, innocence and energetic would be good. But in the manga and with Nozawa, it is done in such a way that it is quite humorous. I just never felt that with Henderson. Not enough for me to list her as the gold standard. Maybe I'm trying to think of a performance that is on almost equal terms with Nozawa which isn't fair.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am

You mean Saffron. That's not how her name is written

Anyway, about the topic itself, she probably could, but I'm not 100% sure.

In my opinion, a good English voice for Kid Goku should sound cute, yet wild. Everytime I hear Nadolny's rendition, I don't think of cute.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:12 am

Did Kara play Videl in Kai, or was that video an edit? I feel like Videl sounded fantastic in FighterZ. The video linked above felt like it was someone else, like it was a fan edit or something.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am

You mean Saffron. That's not how her name is written

Anyway, about the topic itself, she probably could, but I'm not 100% sure.

In my opinion, a good English voice for Kid Goku should sound cute, yet wild. Everytime I hear Nadolny's rendition, I don't think of cute.
Thanks, though when I see people describe Goku as wild, it makes me think "feral child" which Goku isn't. He's naïve and ignorant, but he's not wild and uncontrollable.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:52 am

I think she is overall ok to decent as young Goten, but not so sure she would really work as Kid Goku.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

I can't STAND Clinkenbeard's performance as Kid Goku and Kid/Teen Gohan. I still can't get used to the voices there just not good. Stephanie was the best at the roles for Kid Goku and Kid/Teen Gohan. As for Kara I not sure only if she could change voice for Kid Goku to sound different then Goten. Or going to be the issue with performance but I don't think would be as bad Clinkenbeard high pitch to the voice just does NOT work for the characters and sound obnoxious.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm

ABED wrote:Thanks, though when I see people describe Goku as wild, it makes me think "feral child" which Goku isn't. He's naïve and ignorant, but he's not wild and uncontrollable.
His fighting style and personality tends to be untamed and unrestrained.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:08 pm

I think the other problem is that they play goku like he's 12 and not 5 in the way Nozawa does. Also for the record, as much as I love his Goku, Peter Kelamis is probably the worst lol tho

Is he the only English VA to play both Kid and Adult Goku (it's flashbacks but it counts?)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:08 pm I think the other problem is that they play goku like he's 12 and not 5 in the way Nozawa does.
I never thought of Nozawa's performance like that. In that case, I actually think Kara Edwards's Goten voice actually might work rather well for Kid Gokū, as her Goten voice skews more in that direction.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them