Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:38 am Having a similar pitch is not the same thing. He's nowhere even remotely in the ballpark of Nozawa.

It's a self defeating goal to try to emulate another actor's performance. Any actor who takes the role should just act as Goku. It would be like every Bond trying to copy Connery instead of being James Bond.
It's not just the sound of his voice. He also portrays Gokuh in a goofy way and with a unique accent, which I'd say comes from growing up in Australia, and being raised by Greek-accented grandparents.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:44 pm

It's unique but that really isn't an accent as much as a weird cadence. Please don't try to lend legitimacy by saying his voice as Goku is due to a confluence of the different accents he was exposed to growing up. I've seen him in a few live action roles and his voice didn't sound remotely like that. It's just a weird wacky performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:44 pm It's just a weird wacky performance.
And it's that weirdness and wackiness that sets him apart from the other English VAs and puts him into Nozawa's ballpark.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm
And it's that weirdness and wackiness that sets him apart from the other English VAs and puts him into Nozawa's ballpark.
Those are kind of different things though.

Yeah I agree Kelamis was by far the most unique English Goku. Ian Corlette, Kirby Marrow, and Sean Schemmel all had a pretty similar timbre (I’m convinced Schemmel was hired because he sounded close enough to Corlette while being directed, poorly, to imitate Kelamis’s style of delivery)

That doesn’t put him in Nozawa’s ballpark. Nozawa’s Goku was very overgrown childlike but it could also have a serene rage quality. Kelamis sounded like someone remembered how popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was.

I like Kelamis because of how unique his English Goku is compared the stock Superman type the rest did but it’s not English Nozawa.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm
Those are kind of different things though.

Yeah I agree Kelamis was by far the most unique English Goku. Ian Corlette, Kirby Marrow, and Sean Schemmel all had a pretty similar timbre (I’m convinced Schemmel was hired because he sounded close enough to Corlette while being directed, poorly, to imitate Kelamis’s style of delivery)

That doesn’t put him in Nozawa’s ballpark. Nozawa’s Goku was very overgrown childlike but it could also have a serene rage quality. Kelamis sounded like someone remembered how popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was.

I like Kelamis because of how unique his English Goku is compared the stock Superman type the rest did but it’s not English Nozawa.
Schemmel doesn't sound like Nozawa, but he doesn't sound like Superman now either. He has a much better grasp on the character and Goku isn't being written to be the archetypal superhero like 20 years prior. Corlette's probably the best actor of the bunch, but his Goku was too restrained.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm

In short? I don't think so, no. It isn't necessarily dub-hate, either... because I'm inclined to think no one in any language could touch her. It does make me nervous, once she is unable to continue voicing the character, who might take her place. I've more or less taken on board that the true, unadulterated spirit of Goku's male lineage will die with her, as devastating as that may be.

I think Schemmel, from what I've heard, has come fairly close in recent years... though I'm sure honing a performance over 20 years for thousands upon thousands of hours will, purely by osmosis, get you to a solid and competent spot. I still think he goes way too far with the serious moments, coming across like a super hero wanting to impose justice, but eh, it could certainly be worse... like him 20 years ago. :P
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, and that's Peter Kelamis. He was amazing as an English Goku.