Toriyama "knighted" in france

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toriyama "knighted" in france

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 pm

AWESOMESAUCE!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 pm

...why France??

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm

DB is one of if not the most influential manga ever written so Toriyama deserves every cerdit and award given to him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 31, 2019 8:56 pm

That's...neat?

Down with the monarchy, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm

...And of course, he didn't attend the ceremony. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 31, 2019 8:58 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm ...And of course, he didn't attend the ceremony. :lol:
He's hard at work writing the next DB story...DB Super : Slug. 8)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:56 pm That's...neat?

There is no monarchy in France anymore. So win-win.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:35 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm ...And of course, he didn't attend the ceremony. :lol:
Being knighted but not even showing up is the most Toriyama thing ever.

3 years from now when he's interviewed about it, he'll have forgotten about it. And he'll probably laugh too. :lol:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:57 am

Is it just a title or does being knighted in France give one special privileges or powers?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:27 am

^ Just a title basically.
It's a form of recognition, an official acknowledgement of someone's achivement.
It works the same way as a Nobel price or an award trophy: it doesn't give you any more rights than anybody else, but it's something you can put in your collection to remind yourself and people that you've achieved something big, and it's made public news that you got that distinction.

Consider it as some sort of trophy and official acknowledgement for your game-changing work.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 am

sintzu wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm DB is one of if not the most influential manga ever written so Toriyama deserves every cerdit and award given to him.
Funny how Toriyama himself wouldn’t agree and just sees himself as some guy.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:26 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 pm ...why France??
It's explained in the article.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 am

mfwlegend3 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 am
sintzu wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm DB is one of if not the most influential manga ever written so Toriyama deserves every cerdit and award given to him.
Funny how Toriyama himself wouldn’t agree and just sees himself as some guy.
No one's saying Toriyama is better than anyone as a person.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Congratulations Mr Toriyama.
KBABZ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 pm ...why France??
France is a big fan of anime, maybe more so than America. I recall Ryoko Ikeda got an award from France for her work on THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 pm

WHY IN ALL CAPS?

...lol.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 am

Yeah, let's bring politics into this. That always improves a topic.

On topic: very cool he gets this honor. DragonBall was always extremely popular in France. It's kinda incredible how a lot of the Super Nes/Famicom DBZ got released in just 2 regions; Japan and France. Not Europe, just France. Even if the games did have somewhat iffy name translations, it's still a cool thing. (Plus, it's always better than not getting a release at all)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:14 am

Jord wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 am

On topic: very cool he gets this honor. DragonBall was always extremely popular in France. It's kinda incredible how a lot of the Super Nes/Famicom DBZ got released in just 2 regions; Japan and France. Not Europe, just France. Even if the games did have somewhat iffy name translations, it's still a cool thing. (Plus, it's always better than not getting a release at all)
How incredibly brave of you to take the position that one should not express their dissatisfaction with the continued existence of goofy shit like unelected titles from archaic systems of government.

It's silly to pay any sort of reverence to that system and that is a part of my view on the subject.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:14 amHow incredibly brave of you to take the position that one should not express their dissatisfaction with the continued existence of goofy shit like unelected titles from archaic systems of government.

It's silly to pay any sort of reverence to that system and that is a part of my view on the subject.
Monarchs aren't necessarily unelected, nor are monarchies inherently hereditary. Elective monarchies are (and have been throughout History) a thing.

In any case, France is not a monarchy, elective or otherwise.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:14 am
Jord wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 am

How incredibly brave of you to take the position that one should not express their dissatisfaction with the continued existence of goofy shit like unelected titles from archaic systems of government.

Unfortunately, France doesn't have a monarchy and hasn't had one for the last 150 years so your "down with the monarchy" statement doesn't hit any relevant notes, especially when you consider that governmental recognitions aren't bound to the monarchical status of a country.