Do you enjoy Complaining about/Discussing/Watching edited versions of DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Do you enjoy Complaining about/Discussing/Watching edited versions of DB?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 am

I surely do! None of the options is right or wrong here! You can even be apathetic to the whole thing. But I love that Dragon Ball endures on TV thanks to the stations seeing the might of Dragon Ball's ratings.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you enjoy Complaining about/Discussing/Watching edited versions of DB?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 am

Kinda-sorta on-topic, but I don't mind edits if there's a companion release that's uncensored for the most part. For example, I don't have a problem with NickToons Kai because all the Glowing Orbs and bloodless carnage is removed on the Blu-Ray version.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 am

Um... that's the infamous Toonzai version lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:00 am

US broadcast standards do bug me, especially given how arbitrary they usually are, but that said, I don't mind people watching an edited version of the show. I wish they would watch it in its full glory, but as long as people watch and enjoy the show, I'm glad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:21 am

i always find edited/censored version of media really intresting, just for why they did it, how the edits where done, etc etc. i dunno i think it kinda fascinating, and yeah i really like reading about that kinda stuff.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 am Kinda-sorta on-topic, but I don't mind edits if there's a companion release that's uncensored for the most part. For example, I don't have a problem with NickToons Kai because all the Glowing Orbs and bloodless carnage is removed on the Blu-Ray version.

Glowing orbs was only on the 4Kids block version.

Nicktoons just had your standard censorship you expect from a children’s television block. Toonzai or whatever was the infamous Blue Popo version

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Well, first off, for TV airings, there have to be censored versions, and I'm happy those exist; getting Dragon Ball on TV where it can be seen by kids is, in my opinion, highly valuable to the franchise. Kids seeing and liking a censored version of Dragon Ball on TV is how almost all of us got our start in becoming fans.
Catering exclusively to exsting, adult fans is how the comics industry imploded in the '90s.

However, I will note that uncut =/= uncensored. Funi's "Uncut" dubs of DB, Z, and GT have always been censored to one degree or another, and one could argue that persists to this day; Bra is called "Bulla" because Funi were concerned about kids googling "Dragon Ball Bra" and potentially seeing something that parents would get cross about. In other words, it's a censorship change like any other you'd see in their pre-Kai "Uncut" dubs.

As for the censored versions themselves... Well, since TV-only dubs are a thing, in most cases I actually will prefer one of the cut dubs to the "Uncut" ones (IMO Saban's Z > Funi's "Ultimate Uncut" Z, Westwood's Z > Funi's Z, Blue Water's DB > Funi's DB, Blue Water's GT >>> Funi's GT, Pioneer's Z movies >> Funi's Z movies). So, yes. I enjoy complaining about/discussing/watching edited versions of DB. Often all three.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm

I always thought one of the craftier edits was the single-frame impact flash. It did the job of the censoring but didn't really take away any of the impact, at least in my opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:45 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm I always thought one of the craftier edits was the single-frame impact flash. It did the job of the censoring but didn't really take away any of the impact, at least in my opinion.
The fight between Piccolo and the dead Z Team on Kaio's planet contains one of the most egregious examples of censorship in the ocean dub. Tenshinhan hits Piccolo in the face and the FUNi painters use a big star to cover up the slow motion punch. It lasted way longer than a single frame.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm I always thought one of the craftier edits was the single-frame impact flash. It did the job of the censoring but didn't really take away any of the impact, at least in my opinion.
It was one of the more ridiculous cases of censorship imposed on Funimation by Saban. Like, it was still obvious characters were being punched in the face

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Hilarious, dumb and bad cases of censorship, editing and other issues are a prime interest of mine...when they're inconsequential. What I hate is when it affects other people's experience. For example, a version of DBZ Kai on 4kids where Popo is edited to have blue skin is funny and a hilarious awkward sidestep to parents explaining racial caricatures to their kids, but when that censorship is then inflated by idiots who barely knew anything about it to "In DBZ Kai, Popo is blue" and it affects the discussion around a frankly MUCH better paced version of the story, I take issue with it.

This of course brings us to the Funi Z dub, the WORST case of this "Ship of Theseus" (only mildly-related but very enjoyable video) style of discussing edits and changes, in that the things people remember, constantly quote, and apparently love are ROMANTICIZING the bowdlerization, mistranslations and misinterpretations of the original source material, and frequently touting them as superior to the original. This also occurs with the replaced soundtrack, but as much as that bothers me it's at least not an upheaval to the narrative itself.

So in the case of Dragon Ball, I complain because I feel at least some need to stem the flow of misinformation and even potential misdirected criticism. Whether I ENJOY that...? Well, I obviously spend a lot of my relaxation time on this forum telling certain people why they're stupid, so I guess I enjoy it, but only in the sense that I feel I'm doing a small part of work against something potentially destructive to the public perception of a series that I ABSOLUTELY enjoy.

Sooo...yes? In a sort of self-righteous, pretentious crusader-of-justice manner.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 pm
It was one of the more ridiculous cases of censorship imposed on Funimation by Saban. Like, it was still obvious characters were being punched in the face
Those censor stars were absolutely and comically ludicrous as far as the editing goes, even as a little kid i could still notice the characters taking hits behind them. :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm Hilarious, dumb and bad cases of censorship, editing and other issues are a prime interest of mine...when they're inconsequential. What I hate is when it affects other people's experience. For example, a version of DBZ Kai on 4kids where Popo is edited to have blue skin is funny and a hilarious awkward sidestep to parents explaining racial caricatures to their kids, but when that censorship is then inflated by idiots who barely knew anything about it to "In DBZ Kai, Popo is blue" and it affects the discussion around a frankly MUCH better paced version of the story, I take issue with it.

This of course brings us to the Funi Z dub, the WORST case of this "Ship of Theseus" (only mildly-related but very enjoyable video) style of discussing edits and changes, in that the things people remember, constantly quote, and apparently love are ROMANTICIZING the bowdlerization, mistranslations and misinterpretations of the original source material, and frequently touting them as superior to the original. This also occurs with the replaced soundtrack, but as much as that bothers me it's at least not an upheaval to the narrative itself.

So in the case of Dragon Ball, I complain because I feel at least some need to stem the flow of misinformation and even potential misdirected criticism. Whether I ENJOY that...? Well, I obviously spend a lot of my relaxation time on this forum telling certain people why they're stupid, so I guess I enjoy it, but only in the sense that I feel I'm doing a small part of work against something potentially destructive to the public perception of a series that I ABSOLUTELY enjoy.

Sooo...yes? In a sort of self-righteous, pretentious crusader-of-justice manner.
Yeah, and these people don't realize that it's only on the CW Toonzai/Vortexx cut where Mr. Popo is neon blue and nowhere else while in all other versions of Kai's dub including Nicktoon's own edited version he is the original black color.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:27 pm

With the arrival of Pop I wonder how many new fans Dragon Ball will get.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:23 pm

I love it because it gives more wrinkles to a series, which gives me more reason to watch it. I want to watch all of its incarnations (that I understand). For example, Dragon Ball -- Japanese Dragon Ball (including Z, GT, and movies), Latin American Dragon Ball (including Z, GT, and movies), Funimation's Dragon Ball (including Z, GT, and movies), Ocean Dragon Ball, Blue Water Dragon Ball, Ocean Z, Funimation's 2007 re-dub, Funimation's re-dub with the Kikuchi score (including the movies), Westwood Z, Blue Water GT, and Funimation's re-dub with original score for GT. Not that I sit there watching all of them back-to-back, but there are those moments where I compare and contrast different takes on the series.

That becomes fun and has definitely extended the series' lifespan for me. It makes me want to do overly-ambitious projects like splicing the Ocean dub with Funimation's dub (for the cut out scenes) to Dragon Box footage to create this weird, ultimate "uncut" Frankenstein's monster of a Saban dub. Or trying to find a way to sync Blue Water DB audio to Dragon Box footage, which isn't so easy thanks to their edits.

These are stupid projects I'd never even complete, but they're so fun to think about and tinker with. All possible solely due to the different dubs and their individual shortcomings. Because if there was one, perfect dub with no edits, I'd watch it a few times, enjoy it, but that would be it; no reason for more.

Thus, I love every cringeworthy, decent, great, and absolutely awful version and the more, the merrier. The only thing I hate is that I don't have time for all of these things and sometimes don't have the means to get the versions I'd like (i.e. a Westwood/Blue Water release or Latin American release). Yes, I have those versions, but they're not exactly official despite me being more than happily willing to pay for an official release.
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:24 pm

The short answer is yes, I do enjoy watching and discussing the edited version of DB.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Purely for nostalgic reasons and for a laugh at the edits, I've watched the Ocean Group voices while stoned but other than not really. Most of the time, I can't get past the voices (especially Schemmel and Sabat).

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:19 pm

The Saban/FUNi dub is nostalgic, but bad in many respects, but I would gladly watch it over toe Toonzai version.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 am

Not on the internet, no. Too many people irrationally claiming that the edited versions are the best versions simply because "It's the one I grew up with" and vehemently defending them. With friends though, sure, it can be fun to look back and see some of the silly decisions they made and reflect on why specifically they might have made a change.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am

The edited Ocean Dub version of the first two seasons is still an enjoyable watch because of the charming and often hilariously bad censorship plus good voice acting.