What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Works can keep doing the things I like while also doing new things, too, like having cute moms being cute and giant preggo bellies while including cute Mommies and Daddies beating up meanies.

I don't know what the obsession is with dying on the hill that queer stuff and pregnant stuff needs to be actively fought back against. I really don't understand the thought process.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm

No one has a problem with it.

What is off putting though is that as of late you seem to just inject the "gender fluidity" lifestyle into almost every conversation ( That I've seen anyway) and its mostly unneeded, it'd be just as annoying if someone was saying "I wanna see Goku hump more alien girls and make more super strong alien babies and herum, herum,herum!!!" and was actually serious about it. It'd be hard to take them seriously much like some of your last few posts have been.

I have no problem with you relishing your new found freedom and Identity as a Trans-Woman, congrats. But its also none of our business and not something that has to be reiterated over and over again when its unsolicited. That'd be like me saying "Black Power" in almost every post. It becomes a tired schtick after a while.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm No one has a problem with it.

What is off putting though is that as of late you seem to just inject the "gender fluidity" lifestyle into almost every conversation ( That I've seen anyway) and its mostly unneeded, it'd be just as annoying if someone was saying "I wanna see Goku hump more alien girls and make more super strong alien babies and herum, herum,herum!!!" and was actually serious about it. It'd be hard to take them seriously much like some of your last few posts have been.

I have no problem with you relishing your new found freedom and Identity as a Trans-Woman, congrats. But its also none of our business and not something that has to be reiterated over and over again when its unsolicited. That'd be like me saying "Black Power" in almost every post. It becomes a tired schtick after a while.
I originally wrote my reply to this post in a highly-sarcastic manner but I decided to discard it to be a good little girl and act like an adult: if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be bothered nor would I take the time to reply. I think it's really, really silly for anyone to care about this and I am simply not capable of perceiving my posts as being worthy of ire.

Why the h*ck is this a thing I need to explain?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 am

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:40 pm Star Wars is a bunch of stories taking place in a single galaxy. The MCU is a bunch of franchises taking place in a single universe. DB is at its core one single story. That's the difference.
Once upon a time, Star Wars was just a movie about a peasant farm boy meeting a motley crew of characters and becoming a hero. There were some Expanded Universe materials (and one hideous thing in Christmas 1978), but they were treated largely as peripheral and still followed the main cast of characters with Luke Skywalker as the lead until we got actual spin-offs in the '80s. Most video games we got up until the fifth generation of consoles did nothing but recount the story rather than telling new ones. Though there were canonical spin-offs in the '80s, it wasn't until the '90s that the SWEU really started exploring other characters and even entirely new characters.

Dragon Ball is already a partially-shared universe since it's known that Son Goku's storyline intersects with Arale-chan's and Jaco's. It's just that there haven't been any other writers of "canonical" material until Toyotaro came along, which is what I'd argue separates a true shared universe from the single-author version that existed before Super. Dragon Ball itself is indeed one story, but that doesn't mean that there can't be other stories in the world Toriyama created.

Actually, Dragon Ball is in the best possible spot right now to pursue a shared universe because we literally have a multiverse system. Rather than following Goku's adventures in these universes, why not create new storylines specifically for them?
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 am
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:40 pm Star Wars is a bunch of stories taking place in a single galaxy. The MCU is a bunch of franchises taking place in a single universe. DB is at its core one single story. That's the difference.
Once upon a time, Star Wars was just a movie about a peasant farm boy meeting a motley crew of characters and becoming a hero. There were some Expanded Universe materials (and one hideous thing in Christmas 1978), but they were treated largely as peripheral and still followed the main cast of characters with Luke Skywalker as the lead until we got actual spin-offs in the '80s. Most video games we got up until the fifth generation of consoles did nothing but recount the story rather than telling new ones. Though there were canonical spin-offs in the '80s, it wasn't until the '90s that the SWEU really started exploring other characters and even entirely new characters.

Dragon Ball is already a partially-shared universe since it's known that Son Goku's storyline intersects with Arale-chan's and Jaco's. It's just that there haven't been any other writers of "canonical" material until Toyotaro came along, which is what I'd argue separates a true shared universe from the single-author version that existed before Super. Dragon Ball itself is indeed one story, but that doesn't mean that there can't be other stories in the world Toriyama created.

Actually, Dragon Ball is in the best possible spot right now to pursue a shared universe because we literally have a multiverse system. Rather than following Goku's adventures in these universes, why not create new storylines specifically for them?
Yes, Luke was the main character, but it was a vehicle for Lucas to express his various interests and react to the Vietnam War. The film is very much about war, and that's so broad a topic that it lends itself to lots of different angles within the same universe. I'm sure I'll always prefer the original trilogy and those characters the most, but there are so many resonant themes and places to go beyond just the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

DB isn't a shared universe. Dr. Slump is a cross over that occassionally happens in plenty of media. I wouldn't call Friends and Mad About You a shared universe just because they had one character that crossed over both shows. DB isn't as much about the theme or the world as it is about the main character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Honestly, I really like Julie's ideas. I like introducing circumstances to limit the characters' abilities and forcing the fights to be won through means other than another power-up or being able to punch the wall slightly harder than the other guy, and I'm genuinely fascinated by the more out-there concepts like the pregnancy stuff. Yes, the latter is really bizarre, but I would honestly watch the next Dragon Ball series if it had that as a central point for one of its arcs, because that's a series that's got interesting stuff going on. (Incidentally, I don't see it as Julie being faux-edgy to suggest those ideas; I think she's just bringing up ideas that really interest her at the moment, and that's pretty cool.)

I haven't watched Super and I don't really have any plan on doing so because it just seems to be retreading a lot of stuff done in the latter half of the original run except with a slightly different type of villain. I miss how each arc was so unique in its premise or construction that you could summarize any arc in the most general terms and yet everyone would know what you're talking about instantly.

"The arc with the planet-conquering demon clan" - The Piccolo Daimao arc

"The arc with the three-way Dragon Ball hunt" - The Freeza arc

"The arc with all the Persian-dressed characters" - The Buu Arc

Even GT managed to do that pretty well with its four arcs, but I've felt Super's arcs needed a lot more explanation to clearly explain which one it you're talking about ("Trunks returns from a broken future to get help" - is that the Cell arc or the bizarrely named Future Trunks arc?), which I think lessens the appeal of the arc to check out unless you're already invested in Dragon Ball generally. But tell me that there's an arc in the new DB series where Vegeta gets pregnant*, and everyone will immediately know which arc that is.

*There's no particular reason I went with Vegeta apart from that being the funniest person to picture in that scenario.

And if you're going to continue a series long after it should've ended (and DID end, for 20+ years as this one did), I'd prefer the creators at least use the opportunity to explore whatever creative ideas interest them, even if they're really out there, than to have a midDling pIle of Sludge that oNly exists to rEmind You that it exists.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:23 pm Honestly, I really like Julie's ideas. I like introducing circumstances to limit the characters' abilities and forcing the fights to be won through means other than another power-up or being able to punch the wall slightly harder than the other guy, and I'm genuinely fascinated by the more out-there concepts like the pregnancy stuff. Yes, the latter is really bizarre, but I would honestly watch the next Dragon Ball series if it had that as a central point for one of its arcs, because that's a series that's got interesting stuff going on. (Incidentally, I don't see it as Julie being faux-edgy to suggest those ideas; I think she's just bringing up ideas that really interest her at the moment, and that's pretty cool.)

I haven't watched Super and I don't really have any plan on doing so because it just seems to be retreading a lot of stuff done in the latter half of the original run except with a slightly different type of villain. I miss how each arc was so unique in its premise or construction that you could summarize any arc in the most general terms and yet everyone would know what you're talking about instantly.

"The arc with the planet-conquering demon clan" - The Piccolo Daimao arc

"The arc with the three-way Dragon Ball hunt" - The Freeza arc

"The arc with all the Persian-dressed characters" - The Buu Arc

Even GT managed to do that pretty well with its four arcs, but I've felt Super's arcs needed a lot more explanation to clearly explain which one it you're talking about ("Trunks returns from a broken future to get help" - is that the Cell arc or the bizarrely named Future Trunks arc?), which I think lessens the appeal of the arc to check out unless you're already invested in Dragon Ball generally. But tell me that there's an arc in the new DB series where Vegeta gets pregnant*, and everyone will immediately know which arc that is.

*There's no particular reason I went with Vegeta apart from that being the funniest person to picture in that scenario.

And if you're going to continue a series long after it should've ended (and DID end, for 20+ years as this one did), I'd prefer the creators at least use the opportunity to explore whatever creative ideas interest them, even if they're really out there, than to have a midDling pIle of Sludge that oNly exists to rEmind You that it exists.
I'm not sure why you can't do that with the Super arcs.

"The arc with the God of Destruction invading Earth" - The Beerus arc

"The arc with the resurrected Freeza invading Earth" - The Golden Freeza arc

"The arc with the crazy Goku who destroys the future" - The Goku Black arc

"The arc with all the universes fighting for survival in a battle royale" - The Universe Survival arc

I'd say perhaps the only ambiguous arc is the Tournament of Destroyers arc, but otherwise all the other arcs of Super are fairly easy to recognize.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm actually disappointed that the Tournament of Power kept resorting to restoring the characters to full strength instead of making it clear that none of them had their full strength left by the middle and final parts of the tournament. Slowly taking characters down through injuries like broken noses (breathing), dust/sweat/blood in eyes (eyesight), intense coughing leading to headaches and loud noises making fighters deaf would've made the fights so much more desperate.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm

I'd like DBZ levels of blood to return to the series. But maybe that's asking for too much.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 pm I'm actually disappointed that the Tournament of Power kept resorting to restoring the characters to full strength instead of making it clear that none of them had their full strength left by the middle and final parts of the tournament. Slowly taking characters down through injuries like broken noses (breathing), dust/sweat/blood in eyes (eyesight), intense coughing leading to headaches and loud noises making fighters deaf would've made the fights so much more desperate.
That was the most annoying thing from that arc.

Goku: I'm out of power I cant fight, reverts to base form
(5 seconds later)
Turns SSB Kaioken x20 again ans fights like nothing happened

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm

The intensity of the fights has to pick up. It doesn't have to be bloody, but I want to see people exhausted and bodies wrecked by the end of a battle, but not like GT where they took a few punches and a ki blast and said "I'm out of energy" as they are sucking wind.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Personally Whatever Toei does skip past the end of z and have multiversal adventures with Goku and the gang.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I want to see more BANK animation used. This will help with the lack of time and animators so that fights can be longer while only having one or two animators that can animate well.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm Works can keep doing the things I like while also doing new things, too, like having cute moms being cute and giant preggo bellies while including cute Mommies and Daddies beating up meanies.
It's obvious that you know nothing about being pregnant.

Fights where miscarriages are on the line have no place in a cheery anime.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm The intensity of the fights has to pick up. It doesn't have to be bloody, but I want to see people exhausted and bodies wrecked by the end of a battle.
Could the effectiveness of the Goku/Gohan/Kuririn/Yajirobe vs Vegeta fight in this regard ever truly be recaptured I wonder? It's so good, I'd love to feel that tension and exhaustion again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm The intensity of the fights has to pick up. It doesn't have to be bloody, but I want to see people exhausted and bodies wrecked by the end of a battle.
Could the effectiveness of the Goku/Gohan/Kuririn/Yajirobe vs Vegeta fight in this regard ever truly be recaptured I wonder? It's so good, I'd love to feel that tension and exhaustion again.
I feel like the Freeza fight has a lot of that, but it's too damn long. The Vegeta fight and both Piccolo battles hit that sweet spot. Long and exhausting, but doesn't pull the taffy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm Works can keep doing the things I like while also doing new things, too, like having cute moms being cute and giant preggo bellies while including cute Mommies and Daddies beating up meanies.
It's obvious that you know nothing about being pregnant.

Fights where miscarriages are on the line have no place in a cheery anime.
I never said I wanted miscarriages or pregnant people doing the fighting but thanks for your recommendations, I appreciate how hard it was for you to come up with those ideas on your own.
She/Her
bisexual milf

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Goku getting killed
instant transmission to king kias
and then the villian teleporting to him to kill him a 2nd time for good
and leads to a battle on snake way

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 am

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Forte224 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm
I feel like the Freeza fight has a lot of that, but it's too damn long. The Vegeta fight and both Piccolo battles hit that sweet spot. Long and exhausting, but doesn't pull the taffy.
Yes! The Piccolo fight (and the Daimao one too, but to a lesser extent in my opinion) and the fight against Vegeta were just perfectly paced, and had the perfect amount of satisfying violence that ups the tension, makes it impossible to know who is going to win the fight but also doesn’t step into edgy territory.

Blood was important to those fights, especially in the Piccolo one, but I think the atmosphere of the fight against Vegeta can be recreated even with the current days’ censorship Super has.

Broken bones, characters being too tired and incapacitated to move (and not suddenly get their stamina back) and just a little bit of blood are all things Super has had throughout its run so I don’t think it could be a problem to have those in a fight instead of being scattered here and there and not having enough of an impact... in fact I bet people forget that Toppo was breaking Goku’s bones and dislocated his shoulder.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 pm

What I want? Hmm... Being that this is the context of a newer entry in the series...I'll try to think of something.

Do I say we go back to narrative focus like Cell arc? But it's like...that bridge was burned so many times over that it would be hard to take a Dragon Ball story serious now. Even the most serious part of Super, Goku Black arc, it wasn't really comparable to writing of the best parts of Z. I also have to think of how the entirety of BotG / Super has been written and it hasn't really impressed me. The most I've enjoyed the writing is the Broly movie, which at times is very rushed in terms of story and is more of a spectacle that even the original Broly had more character build up and emotional moments that were entirely developed instead of left alone to get to the next action scene.

Being that we'll most certainly being a continuation of Super, it would be easier for me to say what I'd like to see from Super the show as it is now in the future. So here are a few things I'd like:

1. I'd like less Goku. This topic has two sides to it. One side that feels this series is about Goku, and another that wants the series to be more than just Goku.

For me I feel like I've just...seen enough of him. I'm 29 years old and have been watching this series since I was 6 years old. We're in the same universe, we're still getting stories about just him and not really anyone else. This hurts my enjoyment a lot because there's only so much the world can revolve around one character before it gets boring to me.

2. I would like them to do something with Majin Buu instead of teasing him all the time which leads to nothing.

3. Alternatively, I'd like them to bench a ton of characters and just focus on developing a small portion of them so they get time to develop and explore new things. Most characters are already developed in this world because it's from a series that ended long ago. It's time to turn this around a bit and give them new goals or perspectives for them to be challenged by.

4. I want a genuine villain. One that you'll love to hate. But I'd like them to be able to outwit Goku in terms of talking. It would be nice to get a more charismatic villain instead of just power hungry ego maniacs.

5. I'd like Gohan to have one serious battle that actually counts for something to where it feels like he's a necessary part of the series, even if it's just once for the rest of the show.

6. I'd like Piccolo to stop jobbing to everyone which started with the Buu arc in Z.

7. Honestly? This part is probably impossible, but I'd like for the characters to journey to other Universes that we haven't yet in the form of a adventure type anime instead of just going to fight etc.