How to spot bootleg DBZ kai releases

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The One and Only Nam

How to spot bootleg DBZ kai releases

Post by The One and Only Nam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am

Hi guys! I’m in the process of collecting DBZ kai and I was wondering how can one spot the differences between the legit and bootleg versions. Can someone please tell me how to spot the bootleg versions?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How to spot bootleg DBZ kai releases

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am

I'm not well-versed in the whole buying from eBay or individuals from Amazon side of things, so this may seem like a rather dumb answer but buying from official sites and trusted retailers is always a good way to go, unless you're looking for something like the Yamamoto-scored Blu-Rays.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Using single-layer discs instead of dual-layer ones is one giveaway. Any DVD with more than 3 episodes or Blu-ray with more than 4 is either dual layered or a bootleg.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 amunless you're looking for something like the Yamamoto-scored Blu-Rays.
Which is what most people who buy Kai would be looking for. The Manga UK Blu-Rays are still the only way to go for getting a new factory-sealed copy of episodes 1-39 with that score, although I have a feeling with Funimation buying the company the score on those sets may be replaced with Kikuchi soon so if someone is on a budget and wants to own Kai I wouldn't blame them for depending on the second hand market. I definitely think anyone who does this should check with the seller first to see pictures of the item first to verify its the official release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 amunless you're looking for something like the Yamamoto-scored Blu-Rays.
Which is what most people who buy Kai would be looking for. The Manga UK Blu-Rays are still the only way to go for getting a new factory-sealed copy of episodes 1-39 with that score, although I have a feeling with Funimation buying the company the score on those sets may be replaced with Kikuchi soon so if someone is on a budget and wants to own Kai I wouldn't blame them for depending on the second hand market. I definitely think anyone who does this should check with the seller first to see pictures of the item first to verify its the official release.
Gotcha, that's an important piece of context for this topic!

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi, I made an topic about this! So every bootleg is in 1 topic to see.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43610&p=1618152#p1618152