DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:07 pm
Vijay wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm Just wished Pan & Bulla had more interactions in GT. Would've been fun tbh
I wish they had ANY interaction in GT. Seriously, i don't think they ever talked with each other. I always wished there was a slice of life kind of episode with Pan hanging out with Bra, maybe even Marron. They could go shopping or something. To not make it a totally pointless episode there could be a robbery which Pan would stop for example. There isn't much space for it sadly, it'd have to be between Baby and Super 17 arcs which is the only time in GT except for first two episodes when there is a peace on Earth and Goku and others are not in space. Super 17 arc goes into Shadow Dragons instantly and then we have end of series after that.
Actually, that was my point. I knew both Pan & Bulla never had any conversation, hence wanted to watch it on-screen

Its GT were talkin abt. Any slice of life episodes would only be centered on GokuπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ dat pathetic TB scene comes to mind...Kid Goku losing due to tickle, Majoob losing to Mr. Satan, Veggie challenging Goku on fckin bridge (who would've been curbstomped to death by SSJ4)...and even that was destroyed by Goku's stupid hungry excuse...sigh

To GT's defense though, it was smart move to move Super 17 arc instantly into Shadow Dragons Arc considering the show gained significant momentum with Baby Arc onwards. And it'll be a shame to not capitalize on it. Such a waste though...as great as SD Arc started out...it became mundane monster-of-the-week routine...at least till Omega popped..but even then, it was already too late.

I dont know abt Pan, Marron & Bulla shopping segmentπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but knowin GT...frickin darn sure it'll be ruined horribly with terrible joke & timing.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm dat pathetic TB scene comes to mind...Kid Goku losing due to tickle, Majoob losing to Mr. Satan, Veggie challenging Goku on fckin bridge (who would've been curbstomped to death by SSJ4)...and even that was destroyed by Goku's stupid hungry excuse...sigh
What was bad about this ep? It was very fun. Kid Goku losing due to tickle from like the weakest child on Earth was ridiculous and Majuub losing to Satan was Buu's decision to keep Satan as a champ since he wanted to retire after losing his best friend, it was very hearthwarming scene. Goku obivously wouldn't use SSJ4 against Vegeta lol, they wanted to spar, not fight to death, proved by a fact that Vegeta actually laughed when Goku said he can't fight with empty stomach. And Vegeta isn't really kind of person that would use transformation Goku doesn't have either. He wants to prove who is stronger, not who has stronger transformation. He isn't that dumb to actually think about coming after SSJ4 Goku with only having SSJ2.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 am

On the whole, GT's design feels very of-it's-era. It doesn't have the same timeless quality the original designs had. Too many 90s fashion choices, Super Saiyan 4 and some of the villain designs leaning more on the edgy side, not too mention the more realistic, real world-ground cities compared to the classic era futuristic utopian cities.

It's still fascinating as a time capsule. Could definitely do without the constant Neanderthal-face for so many of the antagonists. Also, am I the only one annoyed that Baby's first design is a complete rip-off of Kid Buu? He's got the exact same head, plus he's also a childish-looking blobby mutant who regenerates a lot. If it weren't for his unique backstory and motivation, he'd feel like a movie villain. Maybe that's what put me off the arc even though it's easily the best in GT; I was annoyed with yet another regenerating villain who steals peoples power. Buu already wore that trope into the ground.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:00 pm

I came across this design sheet for Pan recently:

Could someone verify whether it's real? It feels like so. The text is very small, so we'd need some real experts to read it.

It looks like they were planning to make her the same size as Kid Goku at first.
Then they stretched her up a bit, probably so Pan has a reason to be annoyed at Goku for becoming smaller than she is.

I'm interested whether there are sheets like this for other characters too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Kataphrut wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 am He's got the exact same head, plus he's also a childish-looking blobby mutant who regenerates a lot. If it weren't for his unique backstory and motivation, he'd feel like a movie villain. Maybe that's what put me off the arc even though it's easily the best in GT; I was annoyed with yet another regenerating villain who steals peoples power. Buu already wore that trope into the ground.
I feel like Baby puts a unique spin on things by being a bodyjacker, as well as being able to turn the minds of past hosts towards his viewpoints. Buu only absorbed people for their power and intellect but did nothing else with them, so Baby was able to get a bit more psychological about things.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:13 pm

KBABZ wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 pm Buu only absorbed people for their power and intellect but did nothing else with them, so Baby was able to get a bit more psychological about things.
We should also mention that Baby invaded support-type characters like Bulma or Videl.
He used psychology to torture his opponents, which was a neat spin on this type of ability.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Kataphrut wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 am Also, am I the only one annoyed that Baby's first design is a complete rip-off of Kid Buu? He's got the exact same head, plus he's also a childish-looking blobby mutant who regenerates a lot. If it weren't for his unique backstory and motivation, he'd feel like a movie villain. Maybe that's what put me off the arc even though it's easily the best in GT; I was annoyed with yet another regenerating villain who steals peoples power. Buu already wore that trope into the ground.
Buu absorbs people which changes his personality and intelligence, he can absorb multiple people and use their powers. Baby is a parasite that can control only one person at time and force others to follow his orders by laying an egg in their bodies. His personality and intelligence never changes as he is still the same character. It's a bit different thing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm

I also think Baby sets himself apart with his motivations, where he wants to show how superior and innocent the Tuffle race was, and yet he's also being a MASSIVE hypocrite!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:44 pm
Vijay wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm dat pathetic TB scene comes to mind...Kid Goku losing due to tickle, Majoob losing to Mr. Satan, Veggie challenging Goku on fckin bridge (who would've been curbstomped to death by SSJ4)...and even that was destroyed by Goku's stupid hungry excuse...sigh
What was bad about this ep? It was very fun. Kid Goku losing due to tickle from like the weakest child on Earth was ridiculous and Majuub losing to Satan was Buu's decision to keep Satan as a champ since he wanted to retire after losing his best friend, it was very hearthwarming scene. Goku obivously wouldn't use SSJ4 against Vegeta lol, they wanted to spar, not fight to death, proved by a fact that Vegeta actually laughed when Goku said he can't fight with empty stomach. And Vegeta isn't really kind of person that would use transformation Goku doesn't have either. He wants to prove who is stronger, not who has stronger transformation. He isn't that dumb to actually think about coming after SSJ4 Goku with only having SSJ2.
It wasnt funny in the least. Poor animation (done by Uchiyama Masayuki) poor fight & juvenile humor. Majoob's defeat @ hands of Satan would've benefited a lot from good animation, despite its logical reasoning.

I simply can't agree with ur points on Vegeta challenging Goku to a fight. I'm baffled when u say Veggie isnt dumb to challenge Goku

Its Vegeta we're talkin abt. Da same guy who incured Frieza's wrath & forced him transform. Same guy who allowed Cell acheive his perfect form. Da same guy who helped Boo's ressurection, and same dude who led to Kid Boo's emergence & led to Earth's destruction....I'm simply.....baffled...when u say Veggie isnt dumb

He challenged Frieza who was leagues above him. Got ass whopped
Challenged Cell. Got ass whopped
Challenged & sacrificed himself against Boo. Pointless

You were sayin?.....

You may say those were foes, whie Goku is a rival-turned friend. But c'mon. Its not Boo Arc we're talkin abt

At Boo Arc, Veggie challenged Goku assuming SSJ2 (level beyond SSJ) as the absolute pinnacle of power. Dude trained non-stop for 7 years, got Majin boost...hence,its acceptable to an extent

Now its frickin GT we're talkin abt. We're waay past SSJ3, Fusion...and we got SSJ4...an altogether beast form. With no disadvantages as SSJ3. Now why the hell Goku wouldnt use it against Veggie?

The fact that Veggie had the audacity to even challenge Goku, when he doesnt even unlock SSJ3 is laughable. As if that wasn't enuf, the fight was cut-short with some stupid hungry excuse :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:37 am

It's DB - it traffics in juvenile humor.
I simply can't agree with ur points on Vegeta challenging Goku to a fight. I'm baffled when u say Veggie isnt dumb to challenge Goku

Its Vegeta we're talkin abt. Da same guy who incured Frieza's wrath & forced him transform. Same guy who allowed Cell acheive his perfect form. Da same guy who helped Boo's ressurection, and same dude who led to Kid Boo's emergence & led to Earth's destruction....I'm simply.....baffled...when u say Veggie isnt dumb
But he's not the same guy. He's grown. He's not challenging Goku to a fight to the death. He wants a good natured fight, so I doubt they are going to go all out.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am

This thread is making me realize how much I hate Funimation for naming Bra Bulla.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am

ABED wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:37 am It's DB - it traffics in juvenile humor.

But he's not the same guy. He's grown. He's not challenging Goku to a fight to the death. He wants a good natured fight, so I doubt they are going to go all out.
I think by growing you meant Veggie growing his moustacheπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Rewatch that specific GT episode again. Ryo's pitch & dramatic overtone suggests otherwise.

Its not EoZ Veggie we're talking abt who watches Oob vs Goku in awe.

Dat scene was built to be all-out fight.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:31 am

Vijay wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am

Rewatch that specific GT episode again. Ryo's pitch & dramatic overtone suggests otherwise.

I have watched it and he has grown. You are dropping context massively. Your opinion on Ryo's pitch of a line delivery is just that - your opinion. We've also been SHOWN that Vegeta is not the same guy as the one who challenged Cell and Freeza out of arrogance. There is literally nothing in that scene to suggest he was going to fight Goku to the death.

Given how the scene ended with Vegeta dropping the matter after Goku's stomach growled, that's pretty damning evidence against your viewpoint that it was built to be an all out fight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 am

ABED wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:31 am
Vijay wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am

I have watched it and he has grown. You are dropping context massively. Your opinion on Ryo's pitch of a line delivery is just that - your opinion. We've also been SHOWN that Vegeta is not the same guy as the one who challenged Cell and Freeza out of arrogance. There is literally nothing in that scene to suggest he was going to fight Goku to the death.

Given how the scene ended with Vegeta dropping the matter after Goku's stomach growled, that's pretty damning evidence against your viewpoint that it was built to be an all out fight.
So does your whole point. Its just that-your opinion

Veggie is no comedy piece. He doesnt get into half-assed fights unless its to prove his worth or superiority.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:59 am

Except that Vegeta is not that guy anymore. That was in part what his development was about. Even if we say both our points are opinions, you have WAY less evidence to support your point.
He doesnt get into half-assed fights unless its to prove his worth or superiority.
But not in the way you mean it. He's not going to fight Goku all out to the death. And there's plenty of comedy to be had with Vegeta. He's the stick in the mud. Vegeta has gone through a huge change which you don't seem to acknowledge.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm

The character designs are trash.

That said the music by Akihito Tokunaga for GT is great and generally the best non Kikuchi score, Dragon Ball has ever had. The look of the anime itself is fine. It's a bit darker than DB/DBZ but it looks good for what it is. I think DB and DBZ both look much better overall, but i don't dislike GT in the visual and audio department. Well except the designs. :sick:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am This thread is making me realize how much I hate Funimation for naming Bra Bulla.
it's like a fasha level change of confusing i think, lmao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm

I don't remember if Goku was taking that fight against the kid seriously but if he were that's probably why the other person has a problem with the scene maybe? I personally didn't really mind it since I think it was meant to be more of a gag fight than anything and thought it was kinda funny. Although I'm curious if you would still be fine with Goku losing a fight to a kid by being tickled if it happened in DBS?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Since we're talking about Vegeta, I remember one time on this forum, someone made a thread about Vegeta also turning into kid alongside Goku, and looking back on that thread, I just can't help but think about how hilarious that would've been. :lol: Anyone else?
Caulifla best girl! :)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Nokra wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm
I don't remember if Goku was taking that fight against the kid seriously but if he were that's probably why the other person has a problem with the scene maybe? I personally didn't really mind it since I think it was meant to be more of a gag fight than anything and thought it was kinda funny. Although I'm curious if you would still be fine with Goku losing a fight to a kid by being tickled if it happened in DBS?
He was laughing that he lost so he obviously didn't care about that, especially considering it was a kid division. He was only having fun. And why would i complain about the same scene in DBS? DBS has some good gags, not much but some of them were cool and it's more comedic series than DBZ which is one of the very few good sides about this series. Goku losing to a kid is gag scene so no one should be upset about that but people are just like they were upset about Vegeta losing to Arale in DBS and that was one of the best episodes in entire Super.