Editing of painfully-outdated LGBT+ content in future DB(Z) releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Future DB(Z) releases should be edited for it's painfully outdated LBTG+ content

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 am

omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:54 am I always find it sad when there is such little regard for the gender, sex, and race minorities in the fandom. Too much of an unrealistic and toxic narrative has been tied into fandom that real-world issues are unrelated to fandom and media, which is simply untrure. The disregard that breeds in others is really anxiety-inducing for a lot of us.
I feel like the over-labeling of people is exactly what is causing such a thing. People are made up of a million different factors and sex/gender/race is a such a minuscule portion of that pie.

I feel bad for people that believe that all they are is their race/sex/gender and blame all of their problems on one or all of those things. Humans are diverse and all unique in their own way and our diversity should be celebrated. Being reduced to just "white male" or "black female" or whatever is akin to bigotry. Being judged solely on a factor that is impossible to choose is bigotry.

I judge people by their actions and the quality of their character not their appearance.

What aggravates me in the media is being told that because you are X, Y or Z you must be this. You must think or act a certain way. Which is totally fucked up and is basically brainwashing.

I'm a "Straight White Male" but that doesn't define me. I'm a moderate. I grew up in diverse area and have had friends of pretty much every race. My best friend is Chinese. Some of my closest friends in high school were Hispanic, Pakistani, and Iranian. A great friend of mine for years is Black. My best friend at my old job for years was a Hispanic female and we still keep in touch today. I had a long lasting romantic relationship with a girl from Costa Rica who was pansexual. Another long time ex was 1/4 Cherokee. I was raised Catholic but am now agnostic. I have had friends from pretty much every major religion. Over the course of my life I have had far more influential women in my life than men. Some of my favorite fictional characters have been women. From Ellen Ripley to Samus Aran to Sarah Connor. Nowadays, as a wrestling fan, I'm happy to see so many great female wrestlers getting their chance to shine. I was at NXT Takeover Brooklyn where Sasha and Bayley tore the house down. It was an amazing experience.

Anyway, my point is being reduced to just "straight white male" makes me sound like a maga hat wearing gun toting bigot in today's society which is not true. I don't own a gun nor do I like them and I'm certainly not a bigot. I won't get into politics but I'm typically not a fan of extremists on either side.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, being reduced to just your physical characteristics and or sexual preference is doing a huge disservice to that person and society as a whole, and constantly bringing it up and telling people you must do this that or the other because of characteristic X,Y, or Z is harmful to society and to young minds everywhere.
Being a queer transgender pansexual woman is my identity and is naturally going to color how I see the world because the world as a whole is going to see me as those things first and foremost. They politicized us, we didn't politicize us. I have needs and challenges specific to my gender and sexuality that are used against me by bigots in all factors of my life. I have to pretend to be a man in some spaces, anguish over whether or not I can safely use the woman's lavatory and numerous other things all to avoid being raped and murdered. That GSMR folks want to see positive images of themselves re-enforced in media is not a controversial thing. That cishet men (typically white) want to downplay us or bemoan our voiced concerns is geek culture gatekeeping from creeps aho don't want to face the reality that they need to learn some empathy for their fellow humans and fans.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Editing of painfully-outdated LGBT+ content in future DB(Z) releases?

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am

Colored Man was one hell of a name. They just called him Color Man in the games and Wacko Man in the anime. Honestly, he should've just been Clown Man from the beginning...
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

omegacwa

Re: Future DB(Z) releases should be edited for it's painfully outdated LBTG+ content

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 am
Being a queer transgender pansexual woman is my identity and is naturally going to color how I see the world because the world as a whole is going to see me as those things first and foremost. They politicized us, we didn't politicize us. I have needs and challenges specific to my gender and sexuality that are used against me by bigots in all factors of my life. I have to pretend to be a man in some spaces, anguish over whether or not I can safely use the woman's lavatory and numerous other things all to avoid being raped and murdered. That GSMR folks want to see positive images of themselves re-enforced in media is not a controversial thing. That cishet men (typically white) want to downplay us or bemoan our voiced concerns is geek culture gatekeeping from creeps aho don't want to face the reality that they need to learn some empathy for their fellow humans and fans.
If you wish to continue this conversation with me, send me a private message, otherwise I'd rather not derail this topic further.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 pm
If you wish to continue this conversation with me, send me a private message, otherwise I'd rather not derail this topic further.
Sorry, don't really feel the need to take what is a public discussion private.
She/Her
bisexual milf

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm
omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 pm
Sorry, don't really feel the need to take what is a public discussion private.
Ok. I didn't think it was appropriate to pry into your personal life in a public discussion so I'll just end it here. Don't live in fear. Go out and be you. I'm not sure where you live but you should not be concerned with going to a public restroom unless you are frequenting shady places or something. I don't imagine this would be a concern at the grocery store. If this is a legitimate concern where you live I highly suggest you move. There are many, many places in the USA where you would not need to be concerned with this kind of thing.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:09 pm
Ok. I didn't think it was appropriate to pry into your personal life in a public discussion so I'll just end it here. Don't live in fear. Go out and be you. I'm not sure where you live but you should not be concerned with going to a public restroom unless you are frequenting shady places or something. I don't imagine this would be a concern at the grocery store. If this is a legitimate concern where you live I highly suggest you move. There are many, many places in the USA where you would not need to be concerned with this kind of thing.
you better make sure pass if you wanna go to the bathroom otherwise you'll get the shit kicked out of you if you try it like i have many times recently [:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm
you better make sure pass if you wanna go to the bathroom otherwise you'll get the shit kicked out of you if you try it like i have many times recently [:
I'm traveling the US south right now and forcing myself to use the men's room because I'm afraid of this. The last thing I need is to be hurt qhile alone and thousands of miles from hope.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm
I'm traveling the US south right now and forcing myself to use the men's room because I'm afraid of this. The last thing I need is to be hurt qhile alone and thousands of miles from hope.
i still get tons of shit in the men's bathroom, it's even worst because well i don't pass as either male or female, it's still pretty clear i'm trans so loads of slurs and physical threats. i actually feel so uncomfortable around cis people currently because of this stuff, it's insane, and then of course all the trans spaces (like support groups and shit) i've tried to be apart of irl sure aren't very supportive of enbies! it sucks ass.

i actually got a much shorter haircut recently because of it in hopes of people just leaving me alone and assuming i'm some ugly cis guy, lol, ugh
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:21 am Well the blackface stereotype doesn't exist in Japan, so when they accidentally draw something similar to it, there's often no one there with the proper cultural background to say 'hold on a minute..."
The Blackface stereotype absolutely exists in Japan. It's not an accident that Popo and Black-sanbou are drawn the way they are. The lack of cultural context is not an excuse.
Last edited by MyVisionity on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm
Where is this happening?

Also if I saw someone getting their ass kicked in a bathroom just because they were trans I would fuck somebody up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm
i still get tons of shit in the men's bathroom, it's even worst because well i don't pass as either male or female, it's still pretty clear i'm trans so loads of slurs and physical threats. i actually feel so uncomfortable around cis people currently because of this stuff, it's insane, and then of course all the trans spaces (like support groups and shit) i've tried to be apart of irl sure aren't very supportive of enbies! it sucks ass.

i actually got a much shorter haircut recently because of it in hopes of people just leaving me alone and assuming i'm some ugly cis guy, lol, ugh
Damn, that sucks. Shit. I'm going out with lip stick on right now and scared to death.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Mr Popo's lips being edited to this should be done.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ojNbcq.png

Makes him look cuter anyway, like a Dragon Quest Slime.

I disagree that censoring old stuff hides what was in the past. You can very well put somewhere in the content that these were modified to remove some indefensible things or rework.

At the same time, what would be good is focusing more on the newer content. But I don't feel it's completely worthless to spend time on improving some of the racist aspects of Dragon Ball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm Mr Popo's lips being edited to this should be done.

I disagree that censoring old stuff hides what was in the past. You can very well put somewhere in the content that these were modified to remove some indefensible things or rework.

At the same time, what would be good is focusing more on the newer content. But I don't feel it's completely worthless to spend time on improving some of the racist aspects of Dragon Ball.
It should be left up to the viewer to decide what they want to tolerate. I'm black. I find Mr. Popo's appearance to be...unfortunate, to say the least. But will it really make any difference to me at all if it's changed in a release of a 30-year-old series? Not really. I'd rather it look as it originally did rather than some awful Frankenstein monster nonsense.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Kokonoe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm Mr Popo's lips being edited to this should be done.

It should be left up to the viewer to decide what they want to tolerate. I'm black. I find Mr. Popo's appearance to be...unfortunate, to say the least. But will it really make any difference to me at all if it's changed in a release of a 30-year-old series? Not really. I'd rather it look as it originally did rather than some awful Frankenstein monster nonsense.
Removing his lips only makes him look better, not Frankenstein. Like a DQ Slime. It's pretty cute tbh.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Removing his lips only makes him look better, not Frankenstein. Like a DQ Slime. It's pretty cute tbh.
I meant Frankenstein monster as a metaphor for how the visual edits would make the show look. They'd be incredibly jarring to look at, especially with jittery film.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Kokonoe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm It should be left up to the viewer to decide what they want to tolerate. I'm black. I find Mr. Popo's appearance to be...unfortunate, to say the least. But will it really make any difference to me at all if it's changed in a release of a 30-year-old series? Not really. I'd rather it look as it originally did rather than some awful Frankenstein monster nonsense.
I meant Frankenstein monster as a metaphor for how the visual edits would make the show look. They'd be incredibly jarring to look at, especially with jittery film.
True. I didn't think of it like that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Maybe change Popo in future editions to be a realistic black man without the caricature elements? That'd be a nice change of pace.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:46 pm Maybe change Popo in future editions to be a realistic black man without the caricature elements? That'd be a nice change of pace.
He's not a human though. Or even meant to be a being that looks basically identical to a human, like a Saiyan.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:46 pm Maybe change Popo in future editions to be a realistic black man without the caricature elements? That'd be a nice change of pace.
He's not a human though. Or even meant to be a being that looks basically identical to a human, like a Saiyan.
I think his species is somewhat vague and ultimately not important, however his physical appearance isn't really up for debate. If he was an alien who showed up in GT, he'd be called a racist caricature of a black person regardless, similar to Coloured Man from earlier.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 am

He's not a black person. He simply just has black face, which is rooted in many things in Japan like Yokais for example. If anything he's probably based off a Yokai of some sort which inadvertently has black face due to the origin of that.