Manga vs Anime: Story Arcs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Manga vs Anime: Story Arcs

Post by MajinMan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:47 am

Title says it all; which arcs we done better in the manga and which were better in the anime? If you really want to you can include Super. GT is obviously excluded because it didn’t have a manga. The Moro Arc is also excluded as it doesn’t have an anime adaptation.

———————————————————————————————

Dragon Ball/Z

1) Hunt for the Dragon Balls Arc

Winner: Manga.

I really like both versions of this arc, but the manga barely edges it out. While some of the early Pilaf gang filler was decent, the overall pace and simplicity of the manga makes it the better version.

2) 21st Tenkaichi Budokai Arc

Winner: Anime.

This one is also tough. I was initially thinking manga for this, but thinking about the insert songs and great voicework of the anime made me reconsider. This is probably even closer than the first arc.

3) Red Ribbon Army Arc

Not even a contest. The manga version of this arc blows away the anime version. The pacing is much better. The anime has way too much filler. The muscle tower and pirate cave portions are very bloated and just not fun to watch.

4) 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc

I love this arc as it’s one of my top 3 favorites, and I feel that the anime version tells it a bit better. Both versions are paced well for their medium, and both hit all the high points of the arc properly. I’m just a sucker for the performances and music of the anime.

5) Piccolo Daimao Arc

This is another one I reconsidered. I think this is one of the weaker arcs of the original series, but the manga just does it better. The anime tries too hard with filler to expand upon certain plot points like the Super God Water. While the manga version isn’t exactly that great, I’d much rather take the simplicity of it over the anime dragging things out in this case.

6) 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc

Another tough one. The reason I picked the manga is because it’s faster paced. This is another arc where I feel it’s pretty much neck and neck, but I’d rather take the shorter, quicker version in this case.

7) Saiyan Arc

This is the first arc where I think the anime has a decent lead over the manga. Despite having 3 or 4 boring filler episodes, the 10 or so good ones propel the anime version above the manga. Expanding on Gohan’s growth was a great move by Toei.

8) Freeza Arc

Not even close. While the Saiyan arc of the anime used filler well and properly expanded on key plot points, the Freeza arc uses filler in the absolute worst way possible: to drag shit out. This is the worst adaptation in the anime without a doubt. A shame, too, because this arc is great in the manga.

9) Cell Arc

I really just wanted to say that the anime version was better because of Gohan’s transformation. Personally, though, this is my least favorite arc from the original series, and the quicker I can get through it, the better. That’s why the manga wins for me.

10) Majin Boo Arc

This is the arc with the most improvements in the anime. The Saiyan arc had some decent improvements over the manga, but the Majin Boo arc is leaps and bounds better in the anime. Filler content in this arc was great except for some of the stuff inside Majin Boo, but that’s not nearly enough to bring the anime version down. Like many people have said, Toriyama wasn’t at his best in this arc when it came to artwork and pacing.

Overall Score

Manga: 6
Anime: 4

I think after going through the whole series, the manga is the best way to experience the series. While I personally prefer the anime because of the voice acting and music (plus some good filler and animation here and there), the manga is overall better paced and more consistent.

———————————————————————————————

Dragon Ball Super

I don’t really feel like talking much about Super, so I’ll make it quick.

1) Battle of Gods Arc

Both don’t compare much to the movie, but the manga version was extremely rushed at times and was clearly still in its “promotional manga” phase.

2) Resurrection F Arc

I really don’t want to give this to the anime as it’s one of the ugliest things I’ve ever watched, but sadly the manga version just simply doesn’t exist. It wins by default.

3) God of Destruction Champa Arc

Don’t care much for either version, but the anime has Kaioken Blue which is neat.

4) Future Trunks Arc

Yah, another anime winner. I don’t like the manga version all too much. The anime was funner to experience.

5) Universe Survival Arc

Yup, a clean sweep for me. I actually HATED the manga version, while I felt the anime was at its best in this arc.

Overall Score

Manga: 0
Anime: 5

There was no other outcome.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Manga vs Anime: Story Arcs

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

I won't go through the whole thing, but I think the anime of the first arc and the 22nd TB are better in the anime. Making Pilaf the central antagonist instead of just the final antagonist of that story was a great move. Finally, I like that the 22nd TB took place over a 3 day period. It gave the tournament a bigger event feel.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:30 pm

I like DB anime over manga

Reason is simple. Og DB's anime is basically manga with painted drawings & music. Besides, there's some great filler episodes that extended some segments adding value & offer relief for viewers (Daimou's back story, Kid Goku's training at Kami's Palace/Tien, Yamcha, Krillin & Chiaotzu's traning for 23rd TB segments etc)

DBZ is mixed bag. I like anime of Saiyan & Cell Arc

While I prefer manga of Frieza & Boo Arc

Reason is simple. Both Saiyan & Cell Arc were character-driven hence were pretty heavy on plot. Action took a backseat & TOEI offered wonderful filler fights & slice of life episodes (Gohan's survival in the woods b4 Saiyan's arrival, 10 day gap prior to Cell Games etc)

Frieza & Boo Arc however are quite extensive & manga somehow manages to remain both engaging & funny when its required.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm

I gave my opinion on the main series before and I still stand by it:

The anime outright handles the Majin Boo arc waayyyyyy better than Toriyama does in the manga.

I also love the adaption of the Saiyan arc (even if a few filler episodes kinda stink).

The handling of the Android/Cell arc is mostly better in the anime, and the Freeza arc is a huge mixed bag.

Everything prior to the Saiyan arc is adapted very well.

As far as Super goes, there really isn't a single arc in the manga I feel Toyotaro does better on a more consistent basis compared to Toei's rendition of Toriyama plot outlines for arcs.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 pm

I definitely agree in regards to the anime version of the Freeza arc. I enjoy the Freeza arc (even if the power ups got pretty silly) but the anime version of it is just a slog to get through. It doesn’t help that the animation received a pretty noticeable downgrade somewhere around the midway point, which led to some pretty ugly looking episodes during Goku’s fight with Freeza. It was a huge relief when the characters finally got off Namek, and not just because the planet was about to explode.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 pm

The Freeza arc in the anime may seem overly long, but I don't know if it would be as epic as it was without that never-ending feeling. I can't say that I like all of the added filler, but I think the overall length may work in the arc's favor.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 am

I can't remember most of their differences, except for Dragon Ball Super's, due to its split production:

1. Battle of Gods - neither the manga nor the anime stacked up to this arc's movie, from the drawn out fights between Goku and Beerus, to its fun moments lacking in humour to be taken as such (such as Vegeta's power up in the face of Bulma's slap). The manga failed to address the fact that Goku was supposed to adapt to a new realm of power (he didn't transform into SSJ from having reverted to base) so that the following arc worked with Vegeta having revealed his potential. The anime showed the most iconic look for Gotenks and, in hindsight, didn't confuse people with Gohan not having Ultimate, but powering up in base so that he could use SSJ in the ritual later, as opposed to the movie where he could switch between the two (it works because he's supposed to have gotten weaker). I guess that both the manga and the anime not having wasted time with every fighter taking a shot at Beerus is a plus to them.

Winner: movie, with the anime a distant second, and the manga close behind.

2. Resurrection of F - the manga is simply incomplete, but the anime made a few worthwile changes: it added more content to Goku and Vegeta's training, and called back to a previous arc by adding one of its captains, so that Gohan didn't just take him on, he showed his weakness against Freeza as well. Gotenks's appearance is just spot on, but Piccolo dying for no apparent reason and little to no coverage in his revival... I guess that it was simply so that Gohan could power up from the wrecked state that he was in, whose drama was warranted because he genuinely tried to endure the pain. The movie made it all too quick and flashy, but it's certainly better with the main event that is Goku and Vegeta versus Freeza, and having wasted time with the other fighters worked this time around. Somehow I felt that this movie was already trying to sell DBS, which in hindsight worked well due to Freeza's later development, he who wouldn't have stacked to the others without the golden form.

Winner: the anime (barring production) tied to the movie, since I can't lower it past the former, and the manga.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 pm The Freeza arc in the anime may seem overly long, but I don't know if it would be as epic as it was without that never-ending feeling. I can't say that I like all of the added filler, but I think the overall length may work in the arc's favor.
Just curious...Boo Arc was just as long. Yet most fans disregard it as sloppiest arc. So length certainly doesnt seem to be a factor. More than length, I'd say its the writing.

Even with drawn-out overly loong Goku vs Frieza underway, the plot was simultaneously racing ahead. Forget abt the entire legendary SSJ status, or warlord Frieza unlocking his 100% FP. Toriyama kept the plot moving ahead with Earth Shenron reviving Namekians, Guru was revived, hence Porunga as well. Dende wishing everyone except Goku & Frieza transported to Earth, Goku forgiving Frieza, yet latter got sliced, again saved by Goku, and Frieza for nth time attempts to betray Goku....etc etc etc...Its Toriyama's speciality to sandwich plot in between fights...and elaborate plot via fights themselves...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 am

Vijay wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 pm The Freeza arc in the anime may seem overly long, but I don't know if it would be as epic as it was without that never-ending feeling. I can't say that I like all of the added filler, but I think the overall length may work in the arc's favor.
Just curious...Boo Arc was just as long. Yet most fans disregard it as sloppiest arc. So length certainly doesnt seem to be a factor. More than length, I'd say its the writing.

Even with drawn-out overly loong Goku vs Frieza underway, the plot was simultaneously racing ahead. Forget abt the entire legendary SSJ status, or warlord Frieza unlocking his 100% FP. Toriyama kept the plot moving ahead with Earth Shenron reviving Namekians, Guru was revived, hence Porunga as well. Dende wishing everyone except Goku & Frieza transported to Earth, Goku forgiving Frieza, yet latter got sliced, again saved by Goku, and Frieza for nth time attempts to betray Goku....etc etc etc...Its Toriyama's speciality to sandwich plot in between fights...and elaborate plot via fights themselves...
In Kai I feel like there's a fair pace for the three stages of the Goku/Frieza fight (normal, Super Saiyan, lava Namek). Things feel a little bit drawn out in the phases leading up to that, with Stage 2 Frieza taking up the most time and Stage 3... really not having much purpose to be there, so it's short at least so it doesn't take up too much time.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:18 am

I thought the anime handled the Piccolo art better. I liked Goku's vision quest to get the water as opposed to a more anti climactic retread of the Tao stuff and I hated how the manga handled Tien where he trained to learn the Mafuba and then...whoops, he broke the jar before he could even use it. Thanks for playing! At least him attempting to use it and failing actually paid it off.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 am

I think the manga is the better version of Dragon Ball overall, but there are some anime arcs I prefer over their manga counterparts.

To echo Abed, making Pilaf the central antagonist really was a stroke of genius on Toei's part. It's such a simple change, but it's one that— I think— really helps the arc end on a stronger note. And on that note, the climax of the arc is handled better in the anime where everyone more or less contributes to subduing Goku. (Also, Pilaf being the victim of his own hubris is a better note to end his character on.)

The Piccolo Daimao arc I'd be willing to give to the anime. It handles Tenshinhan better and while I don't mind how the manga handles Goku's late arc power-up, the anime does arguably do a better job. I think I'd disagree if I gave it more thought, but I digress.

The Saiyan arc in the anime is more or less equal in quality to the manga IMO. I think Gohan's training makes his arc a bit derivative, but that's really a nitpick. Some filler episodes are weak, but the anime and manga are both at their peak here. There's no wrong way to experience Goku's fight with Vegeta.

After that, though, I think it's a toss-up. The Namek arc has some pretty good filler, but it also has some really awful filler. As far as adapting the story goes, the Namek arc flows well up until Goku's fight with Freeza where it collapses and never recovers. The manga version just flows way better in general, too. There are elements I like of the anime version (especially since I have so much nostalgia for it,) but it's by far the worst adapted arc.

I think the anime does a really good job at expanding the Cell arc, and when I think of the elements I like of the Cell arc, I usually think of the anime. Mind you, the anime version isn't perfect by any means, but this is one of the few cases where I do prefer the anime slowing the plot down to let things breathe. I never thought I'd complain about fast pace in Dragon Ball, but the Cell arc just doesn't let its villains breathe enough in the manga. Even just having some filler before the 3 year time skip helps build up Dr. Gero's imminent presence.

On the flip side, the anime's version of the Boo arc is too damn slow and changes things for no real reason. The Saiyaman portion of the arc isn't even 1:1 adapted. I'm down with adding content, but I hate when the anime removes chapters. I really like Vegetto in the manga, but I can't stand his portion of the arc in the anime. I've gained a new appreciation for Gotenks in both mediums, though.

And then manga across the board for the non-movie Super arcs. I really do not care for the anime.