"Happy" 20th Anniversary of FUNimation's DBZ Season 3 Dub!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Happy" 20th Anniversary of FUNimation's DBZ Season 3 Dub!

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 am I am really curious to know how a lot of you here who grew up with the OG Funi dub felt when these new episodes premiered. Was it thrilling because y'all could finally get out of the Saban/Ocean Dub-limbo of those nonstop repeated Saiyan/Namek episodes? Or were you just plain disappointed to hear and see how the in-house dub played out?
A little bit of both. I was disappointed in the terrible music and the awful voices, Kaio and Freeza's being the worst offenders. That said, I was super excited to get more DBZ and eventually get to Super Saiyan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaSQuXWRYo
Who can forget this gem? This was the very first thing we saw and heard of the in-house dub.

I also remember reading Greg from The Ultimate DBZ Information Site's review being decidedly negative. He didn't even finish watching the first tape.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:20 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 am To lighten up this thread, here are the promos/bumpers that were leading up to and featured the big premiere on Cartoon Network (Toonami):

The "coming soon" promos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqQo7HhcSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8LlX155X6I

The "Z-Day" event promo which was when the new episodes actually aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YN55vpxm2w

And the actual "Z-Day" event itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9CyXn6NFGE

I am really curious to know how a lot of you here who grew up with the OG Funi dub felt when these new episodes premiered. Was it thrilling because y'all could finally get out of the Saban/Ocean Dub-limbo of those nonstop repeated Saiyan/Namek episodes? Or were you just plain disappointed to hear and see how the in-house dub played out?
I didn't really start watching the dub proper until around the time that the Trunks/Androids episodes were airing on Toonami, and my six/seven year old self didn't really think much about things like the music and voices back then. Looking back on it eighteen or so years later it's obvious to see that the dub was not very good in pretty much most if not all aspects, but again some don't really pick up on those until much later when it's well after the fact and on that note i didn't really see the Ocean dubbed Saiyan/Namek episodes or Ginyu/early Freeza eps until repeats of them were airing sometime around 2001/2002.

Also those promos were a blast to the past, i do indeed remember the TOM 1 era of Toonami watching with my dad late on sleepless nights though i was more partial to TOM 2's era overall.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm

It's safe to say that the terrible dub is definitely a huge contributing factor to how I became so obsessed with the manga. I would've liked the manga either way, but the fact that the version of the anime I had access to was garbage outside of three films I taped off Toonami definitely threw me deep into manga-loving territory.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm

In all honesty, as terrible as the dub of season 3 was, I still think it’s a pretty fascinating relic from a bygone era. Everything about it was absolutely amateurish, but it is fun to look back and see just how far the actors that are still involved in the franchise today have come.

I kind of wish FUNimation would do a Rock the Dragon style re-release with the original version of the season 3 dub, but I guess they’re too embarrassed by it or something.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm

S3 itself was passable for 1999 (And even in early 2000's. Look at 4Kids dubs made around that time for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew). Problem is, even if there are some improvements, for me at least, Funimation cast is still no where near as good as Ocean cast from Saiyan/Namek saga, plus, to this day there are some corny jokes added in dub.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:08 pm

That implies Mew Mew Power and One Piece 4kids style are passable dubs and I MASSIVELY DISAGREE.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I did not watch the show back when it first aired on Cartoon Network. However I can certainly understand that the TV dub has fans which may feel unappreciated. Most kids probably just watched the dub on TV; plus a tape here or there. The original TV dub version of the show does not really exist anymore. To the fans that don’t care about good voice performances, I can understand being frustrated that the current dub that is on home releases is not what they heard on TV. It’s not even the ‘uncut’ version they heard on TV. For the number of fans (not that many) that warranted a US version of the Dragon Boxes, there is probably as many who would be satisfied with a betacam transfer of the Toonami premieres of each episode. Honestly the original season 3 dub would be interesting to watch. I don’t care enough about the mor polished orange brick dub to watch it, but what a novelty it would be to see the totally raw dub.

When did that version go off the air? Besides the edited VHS tapes, which I’ve heard are quite rare, it is now lost.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:35 pm

coola wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm S3 itself was passable for 1999 (And even in early 2000's. Look at 4Kids dubs made around that time for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew).
I have to disagree with this part specifically. Gundam Wing's dub hit Toonami about six months after DBZ S3 premiered and it was AMAZING!! It put DBZ to shame SO HARD with its quality acting from the amazing Ocean Studios cast. Also, it was translated accurately and all the original music was kept.
(they/she)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm

You know, I get most of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I only have one question...

What's everyone's deal with the music? I thought that, aside from the instruments themselves, it was an improvement in virtually every way! It's my favorite anime soundtrack to date; It's even inspired me to learn how to make music one day!

I just don't get the dislike for the Team Faulconer score :( ...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

coola wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm S3 itself was passable for 1999 (And even in early 2000's. Look at 4Kids dubs made around that time for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew). Problem is, even if there are some improvements, for me at least, Funimation cast is still no where near as good as Ocean cast from Saiyan/Namek saga, plus, to this day there are some corny jokes added in dub.
The dub back in 1999 was not even passable. You already had good anime dubs at the time like Macross Plus, Gunsmith Cats, Ninja Scroll, Golgo 13, Wicked City, Golden Boy, etc. that came out before DBZ Season 3 and are way better. Funimation's DBZ dub is just as awful as Saban's Digimon dub and 4Kids anime dubs in my opinion.

Saban and 4Kids anime dubs are not much different what Funimation would do. They would Americanize them by adding bad dialogue, bad replacement music scores and removing the violence to make it more kid friendly in the US. It bothers me that Funimation gets a free pass for how badly they dub the Dragon Ball shows while people still hate on 4kids and Saban when they are all on the same shit tier in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm You know, I get most of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I only have one question...

What's everyone's deal with the music? I thought that, aside from the instruments themselves, it was an improvement in virtually every way! It's my favorite anime soundtrack to date; It's even inspired me to learn how to make music one day!

As someone who doesn’t dislike the Faulconer score on its own, I don’t know if I can speak for other people, but a big problem people seem to have (beyond the fact that it’s a replacement score) is that the music helped contribute to the franchise’s image in the west as this super hardcore action romp where muscled men beat each other up. I suppose it’s the same reason why Broly has been such a divisive character.

Besides that, some people have argued that the Faulconer score sounds more like 90s video game music than an actual television score, and the fact that the music was constantly playing in the background of each episode certainly didn’t endear it to many people.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm You know, I get most of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I only have one question...

I think VegettoEX said it best when him and another person on the podcast called it hollow and having no overall theme to it. At least the Shuki Levi stuff had that going for it in how bits of "Rock the Dragon" made it's way into parts of a lot of the BGM.

Also, the Faulconer score sounds NOTHING like Dragon Ball music. Even if you only saw the dubs of the first 3 DBZ films back in the day, you knew what DBZ was supposed to sound like! Instead of epic Kung Fu movie music for a mystical Kung Fu adventure with sci-fi elements, you got this noise that was made because Barry Watson thought kids your age were too stupid to appreciate the original BGM.

Like, Funi had a second chance to fix everything going forward with DBZ but when S3 hit it was obvious that Barry just doubled down on the garbage. It made the existing fanbase who expected them to treat the show like anime after this two-year hiatus very, very angry.

VegettoEX even has an accurate "16-year-old Mike" voice for it!
(they/she)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Improvement to what - the original score?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Please dont take this the wrong way, but this apologism of replacing the music of any given audiovisual works REALLY ticks me off. Say whatever you want about Kikuchi, Arisawa (Digimon, Sailor Moon) or Bob Sakuma (Gatchaman) or just about any other original composer, the practice of throwing away anyone's hard work and replacing it with something else REALLY disgusts me.}

And keep in mind I have nothing against the actual dub music which is kinda cool. I was even going to leave a positive comment only to see a guy call everyone who loves Kikuchi "Butthurt Latinos who have shit taste" on a Youtube Video.

:)
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm

I can't speak for others who hate Faulconer on principle.
For me, my dislike is more that ever since I learned about what Dragon Ball was meant to be, it absolutely doesn't fit. It's like replacing John Williams' Star Wars music with funk and glam rock because that was in at the time . Are Jefferson Starship and David Bowie good artists? I think so. Would they go well with Star Wars? Does orange juice and milk go with onions & tomato juice? (And before anyone mentions Jefferson Starship being in the Holiday Special; first, that special is trash; second, it just proves my point)
If you grew up in, say, France or Turkey and had this funk/glam soundtrack for the first three Star Wars movies to the point you erroneously believe that's what Star Wars should sound like, I'm not going to deny you your nostalgia but I will tell you that you got a butchered, ridiculously unfitting version. Imagine Bowie's "Fame" playing during the Cantina scene or T-Rex's "20th Century Boy" during a confrontation with Stormtroopers. It would create an almost schizophrenic atmosphere that has nothing to do with (and might even outright betray) the original product and intent.

To me, the Faulconer soundtrack is a lot like that. By itself, it's pretty good. Well... a good chunk of it is.

Babidi Casts Spell, the Final Atonement theme, the Ginyu/180,000?! theme, Vegeta's Vision, Vegeta's Death, Sage Music, Goku and Gohan, and so on— actually good soundtrack music. I especially love "Babidi Casts Spell".

Others just don't fucking cut it. A good chunk sound like Sesame Street music in instrumentation and progression because of this idea that DBZ's wackier moments needed that "goofy childish music". Except they soundtrack would also often use the "funny" instrumentation and progression even during serious moments if a certain character even so much as showed up on the screen or said something mildly "comical" (lines you can bet weren't in the Japanese version). Others just sound flat-out unfinished. My go-to example is Piccolo vs. Frieza. I haven't linked any songs in this post yet, but I will just for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOMH5XI2cWk
You listen to that and tell me THIS is fit for air. It's the kind of song that would get a "D" in a high school music class if submitted as a finished product.
Another one that has a cool-sounding melody but completely shits the bed in execution is "Frieza Fights Vegeta".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09ZgrPOndU

If that was submitted as a final product to a show I was making, I'd tell Bruce Faulconer to just not come back into the studio. It needed several more tries.

And you wanna know something peculiar? Most of the best Faulconer tracks were the ones done for later seasons. It seems like all the exquisitely bad ones were made for season 3 (though we did get Hell's Bells and the Super Saiyan Transformation theme out of it, as well as the aforementioned Ginyu/180,000?! Theme).

For the version of Dragon Ball Z that FUNimation was making, I guess it does work. So when people say that the electro-metal soundtrack is the one that fits Dragon Ball Z best, they aren't wrong if they're referring to that dub. If that's the only version of Dragon Ball you've ever known, then yeah. You're more than fine with it.
But even by the standards of the old FUNimation dub, the season 3 Faulconer tracks were atrocious. Way back before I ever cared about the "true" Dragon Ball or how it was "meant" to be, I still hated a plurality of the season 3 Faulconer tracks, with Piccolo vs. Frieza always being the one I pointed to and said, "Is this a fucking joke?" Yeah, I think I might even have a 9-year-old comment on a video of that track (or maybe it was a different video of the same song) where I mentioned how much of a disgrace it was, and that was just in reference to the rest of the Faulconer material.

TLDR: Imagine Star Wars with David Bowie or ABBA instead of John Williams. Not to exalt Faulconer to the level of Bowie or ABBA; just trying to communicate how unfitting it is. I'd imagine that's why most people on Kanzenshuu don't like that soundtrack.

Of course at the same time... maybe Kikuchi isn't the best choice for the Original FUNi dub anyway. Imagine those voice actors and jokes over '70s Shaw Brothers music. It'd be just as unfitting as putting Faulconer music over the original Dragon Ball (or maybe even Faulconer over Shaw Brothers films!) sounds to us!
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:34 pm

I guess I should clarify.

When I say "improvement", I meant that it was an improvement over the Ocean score; The dub music that was playing before. Comparing it to the Japanese score is like comparing apples to oranges, so I won't say anything so bold in regards to that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:39 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked you, sorry for being so rude.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:40 pm

That's basically what i was thinking as well in fewer words, the Shunsuke Kikuchi score fits the show because it's the intended musical score and elicits a certain charm. The Team Faulconer score only fits that heavily altered original dub, with the former music and latter dub not meshing together well at all (I'm talking about the dub with Japanese music track used on every home release barring the Dragon Boxes since 2007) and it's very clear to see just how disjointed from each other they really are. Those examples are very apt, because some things just don't work with anything other than what they were intended to accompany.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm

That's great and i have no issues with people liking the dub score, but personally i can't stand it. The very first track you hear in "season 3" was just a sign of how bad things were going to get. I don't think there is a single track in the dub score that i like, even completely divorced from DBZ. It was one of the worst soundtracks i have ever heard and that still holds true to this day.

I adore the original soundtrack and having it replaced with something that doesn't fit Dragon Ball at all was awful, and pretty much cemented the fact that even had the voice acting been good and the script completely on point, i would probobaly still have disliked that dub. The tone of the show completely changed and it gave a false impression to a new audience of fans what DBZ is supposed to be like. It also created a tonal inconsistency with the original Dragon Ball. Which is why i still see comments from dub fans claiming something like "Oh the original score works for Dragon Ball but not really for the more serious tone of DBZ". Which makes absolutely no sense.

Even putting that aside, Its something that no dubbing company should ever do on principal alone. It feels completely disrespectful to the original creators who made DBZ with the original score in mind and to have it replaced with something that feels like it could have been attached to literally any other piece of media, and it would sound just as out of place and bad as it does in DBZ.

I'm continuously baffled with stuff like the dub fans inserting the Faulconer score into Kai or Battle of Gods. Its all just so completely bizarre to me. I don't understand how anyone can look at any part of DB, from the original all the way up to Super, and think that the Faulconer score should be anywhere near it.

Really even if the dub was exactly as it is now but with the original score instead, that alone would have gone a long way to making the dub at least somewhat watchable for me. If for whatever reason i decide to rewatch the dub one day (stranger things have happened) i will absolutely watch it with the original score. Having the dub score play would be completely unbearable as it would probobaly sound even worse to me these days than it did back then.

Edit: Oh you were talking about the Ocean score. I still think they are about equally as bad.
Last edited by VDenter on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Even then, I still think Wasserman's score is better. I can't think of a single bit of Faulconer's score that I love, whereas Wasserman's music that plays in the scenes where Goku arrives at the nick of time still gives me goosebumps.

One of the many things I find silly about the Faulconer score is it was supposed to sound more like contemporary kids show music, but that music was anything but. It's what a bunch of men in at least their 40s think appeals to kids.