You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm And how has keeping DB out of the public domain hindered its creativity and quality?
Projects are more so dictated by the almighty dollar than not. Just look at the beginning of Super.

Putting large and old properties into the public domain spreads the wealth generated by it out. Corporations acquiring these properties and recycling them into perpetuality hinders creativity, innovation and concentrates wealth in few hands. It's better for the wealth of the people to keep it in as many hands as possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm

The whole of DB's existence was due to the dollar, yen, or your currency of choice.

Instead of spreading the wealth, putting DB into public domain could water down the property that's already long in the tooth. To the extent that DB's quality has suffered since its revival isn't due to it not being in the public domain. It has everything to do with it going well past its natural conclusion. Toriyama was already creatively exhausted by the end of the manga and how many stories can you name that recaptured lightning in a bottle when they were brought back years after they initially ended?

This has nothing to do with money, profit, or the supposed evils of capitalism.
it sounds very lazy and sad that
isn't your duty supposed to be keep the series alive to not to be forgotten over time to compete other current series?
It's far lazier to keep counting on a property created in the mid-80s instead of finding new stories. And the classics don't get forgotten even when the new hotness comes along. Is Back to the Future any less popular even though a new BTTF movie hasn't been released in nearly 30 years?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm
it sounds very lazy and sad that
isn't your duty supposed to be keep the series alive to not to be forgotten over time to compete other current series?
It's far lazier to keep counting on a property created in the mid-80s instead of finding new stories. And the classics don't get forgotten even when the new hotness comes along. Is Back to the Future any less popular even though a new BTTF movie hasn't been released in nearly 30 years?
and the series was absent for more than 15 years ....
That is a lot if we compare it with DC that every little time it makes a movie or series of batman or also the different series of ninja turtles which are older than DB etc.

in part I would say yes ... the series are kept alive by their fandom every generation is different and with different opinions .. people like everyone die ... series don't
as long as there are people who still want the series, they will not forget, however there are cases such as SS and He-man struggling to remain relevant.

I agree that a story should have an end but there is no reason why a franchise should do it too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 pm

DB was never really absent. The merchandise and games still come out all the time. There's your franchise. Leave the story alone.

American superhero comics aren't the same. They aren't a single narrative with a beginning, middle, and end. They also aren't written by a single author.

What's SS? And He-Man was only ever relevant for a brief moment in the 80s.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:39 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 pm DB was never really absent. The merchandise and games still come out all the time. There's your franchise. Leave the story alone.

American superhero comics aren't the same. They aren't a single narrative with a beginning, middle, and end. They also aren't written by a single author.

What's SS? And He-Man was only ever relevant for a brief moment in the 80s.
videogames are videogames, nobody can enjoy a videogame like you would with an anime or movie reason why the "commercials" of DB heroes does not leave Japan

they can create different stories based on the main plot
they can create different stories based on your universe etc.

I do not see the problem

SS = Saint seiya
So there is the proof no matter how much something is classic does not make it unforgettable

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:39 pm SS = Saint seiya
So there is the proof no matter how much something is classic does not make it unforgettable
Classics are by their nature unforgettable. That's what it means to be a classic.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Dragon Ball should be public domain. This way anyone can create the works they like based off of it to fulfill their creative desires.
Or, wild idea... people can maybe instead just create something that's wholly original and totally their own and maybe (god for-fucking-bid) add something that's genuinely fresh, different, and unique into the world instead of everyone just endlessly rehashing from the same limited pool of over-flogged-to-death mega-franchises (that have already long been prostituted to within an inch of their lives by the forces of corporate marketing/greed as it is) ad infinitum. :think: :think: :think: :think:

I'm as pro-democratization of art and creative talent as the next person... but part of the whole entire point of it is for more new, more daring, and less derivative work to better flourish and be given space to blossom and become recognized more widely without being hopelessly drowned out by the usual risk-adverse corporate monoliths, and not so much for everyone to legally indulge and wallow forever, copyright-free, in reskinning and re-tinkering with the same old tired stuff they already know and are familiar with.

The framework that you're coming at it from would basically be more or less identical to what we have already in the current climate (everyone just constantly recycling the same exact familiar shit from their childhoods that they can't let go of over and over and over and over), just with the added element of amateurism and more blatant/unrestrained/cringe-worthy fan-wankery.

Which seems to me like a worst of both worlds: all the exhausting, soul-numbing, mind-deadening unoriginality and deja vu repetition of today's reboot/remake/revival-drenched climate, combined with all the worst, most self-indulgently infantile traits inherent to fanfic/fanart culture online.

I'd much rather live in a world where we're actually permitted to get FURTHER AWAY FROM the shadow that Dragon Ball (and moreover, its endless array of me-too Shonen imitators) has cast over so much of the anime/manga mainstream throughout the past couple decades or so. Conversely, I'm not particularly keen on welcoming a world in which something like Dragon Ball's presence in the mainstream is largely embodied by an endless array of officially produced and cringingly terrible Goku/Vados slash fic and the like.

Or to put it more simply: the response to good art we should be encouraging is more "I want to make something as good and impactful as that that's all mine!" and not "I want to churn out the next sequel/continuation/spinoff/re-imagining/reboot/ripoff of EXACTLY that!"

As to the main thread topic, I would like to formally and enthusiastically co-sign on all of the following suggestions:
kei17 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm-Produce a complete soundtrack release of the Kikuchi score
-Produce a definiteve Blu-ray release of the old TV series
-Re-release the old movies uncensored with better color corrections and selective aspect ratio
-Fire the bad promo artist
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pmEnd it permanently
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:19 pmPut it down like Old Yeller.
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 pmDelete Dragon Ball Minus from existence

Kunzait's note: Also add in DB Heroes and Episode of Bardock to this
Zephyr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 pmFUNimation is out.

Tao Pai Pai is in (FighterZ).
VDenter wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm Obviously end it. Super and all this continuation material didn't need to exist. The quality isn't good and i would rather DB end permanently than see it's undead corpse be continually defiled.

Beyond that i would make sure that DB,DBZ and GT get a proper 1080p/4K remaster with no DNR or Widescreen. It would include The Next Episode previews and the Original Broadcast Audio, and of course the original JP title cards. All properly remastered with appropriate color correction. So that it doesn't suffer from any color inaccuracies that the Dragon Boxes suffer from.

Release the Kanzenban the entire color DB manga globally and fix any translation issues that plague the current Manga releases.

Stop allowing cash grab DB game that aren't anywhere near the quality of Dragon Ball FighterZ quality at least, to exist.

Oh and strip Funimation of the DB licence. Give it to some other company that is capable a brand new English dub that is faithful to the source without crapping out midway through. With the exception of Chris Ayres and maybe Colleen Clinkenbeard, replace EVERY single voice actor that dubs Dragon Ball currently.

No more dub spellings like "Frieza" or "Tien" or terms like "DESTRUCTO DISK" Just GONE completely never to be seen again in any future release.

So to recap:

- Permanently cease any and all further new DB manga/anime production.

- Permanently strip FUNimation of the entire Dragon Ball license forever and let all (and I mean ALL) of their old releases & material lapse out of print, never to be re-released.

- A full proper soundtrack release of Kikuchi's Dragon Ball music library in its full entirety.

- Release the full Kanzenban and Full Color Manga with properly fixed (and Viz-ism free) translations and zero censorship whatsoever.

- Release a full proper restoration of the original DB, Z, and GT anime franchise (and all accompanying anime theatrical films, OVAs, & TV specials). No widescreen, no DNR, no gimmicks, no censorship, no bullshit: just the complete 1986 - 1997 Dragon Ball anime series, fully intact. Would obviously include the original Japanese audio & Simmons subtitles, but ALSO...

- A full and proper redub. ENTIRELY recast from the ground up 1000%, with the approach taken to adapting both the scrip and the characters into English COMPLETELY rethought from wholecloth (taking virtually NOTHING from FUNimation's approach throughout the decades) with the eye squarely on faithfulness to the original tone, intent, and spirit of the Japanese original.

For example, actors would be directed to actually Kiai and do Qigong-style deep breathing for the fight scenes (rather than just spastically yell unconvincingly as if they're a constipated WWE wrestler), as well as to speak in a naturalistic, organically conversational manner rather than doing over the top ham-fisted cartoon caricature put-on voices.

Actors would also be cast appropriately to the original intent of the Japanese production: Eg. Kaio would sound like a wise, warm, sagely deity instead of a mentally impaired psychiatric patient with a crippling speech impediment, Muten Roshi's actor would need the versatility to bounce back and forth from "endearingly nutty old coot" to "intimidating, badass martial arts master" fluidly and seamlessly, the narrator would sound like a kindly old grandfather reciting an ancient Chinese legend rather than a monster truck rally announcer hopped up on cocaine, etc.

Script would use Simmons' translation as a baseline from which to adapt further for lip-flaps and other various untranslatable language-quirks (puns and so on). And obviously, no replacement scores of any kind, nor any dub-ism names, pronunciations, and assorted terminology. Sayan, Frieza, Tien, Destructo and Special Beam whatever, etc. all forever permanently gone and retired from any and all use in any further English language DB media.

- Bring some actual quality control back to the Dragon Ball video game franchise, using FighterZ as a baseline metric for basic competency, mechanical depth, and standards in further fighting game development. No more Tenkaichi/Sparking/Raging Blast or Budokai or Xenoverse-style games. Only actual serious stabs at legit, properly competitive fighting games from here on in. Same goes for other genres as well, such as RPGs, adventure games, beat em ups, etc.

- Let Tao Pai Pai (and Daimao & Muten Roshi for that matter) into FighterZ already. For fuck's sake. :P

- Invent time travel or reality warping technology so we can completely erase DB Minus, Episode of Bardock, and the entire DB Heroes franchise from ever having existed in any capacity.

Oh, and I'll throw in one more that's all mine and that I haven't seen anyone else in here bring up yet (my apologies if I missed it):

- A full proper English translated release of the entire Daizenshuu. Because why not?
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 am

I would let Toyotaro fill the Dragon Ball Super manga with anime content adapted to fit its continuity and framework. Instead of cutting it like Dragon Ball Z into Kai, the Resurrection of F manga would be added in complete form, and DBS: Broly's scenes of interest would be told during his fight. It would be like Sonic Mania Plus as a physical release, not completely worth the purchase, but an added bonus for collecting purposes.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm And how has keeping DB out of the public domain hindered its creativity and quality?
I think you misunderstand. Due to it being out of the public domain it has triggered other creators like Eiichiro Oda to come up with new original works instead of using DB characters to make money.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am

I can't control what the general populace wants to create but by moving Dragon Ball into the public domain we can force corporations to compete with hundreds of thousands of people, eventually forcing them to try to create something new and exclusive. In-demand works can then have their money shared between many creators, rather than just already established corporations.

Now, imagine this spread to all properties twenty years and older.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am- Bring some actual quality control back to the Dragon Ball video game franchise, using FighterZ as a baseline metric for basic competency, mechanical depth, and standards in further fighting game development. No more Tenkaichi/Sparking/Raging Blast or Budokai or Xenoverse-style games. Only actual serious stabs at legit, properly competitive fighting games from here on in. Same goes for other genres as well, such as RPGs, adventure games, beat em ups, etc.
You talk about "quality control" and then proceeds to tell you would only allow 2D games to be made/get rid of the 3D games? Damn... I couldn't even tell what nightmare would be worse, all games be like FighterZ or returning to the dark ages where games just retell Dragon Ball Z with no story at all. :?
Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am- Invent time travel or reality warping technology so we can completely erase DB Minus, Episode of Bardock, and the entire DB Heroes franchise from ever having existed in any capacity.
I'd add Dragon Ball Super in that too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:06 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm
- A full proper English translated release of the entire Daizenshuu. Because why not?
Because the mad people would over analyze the fuck out of the 3 pages total throughout the set that mention power levels, driving the rest of us insane and bringing about the third world War.

Is that really what you want?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am Only actual serious stabs at legit, properly competitive fighting games from here on in.
Not everyone is into online stuff, and has time to practice with the insane-level people. If DB only had games geared towards all the hardcore PvP players then I wouldn't even play them much anymore.

I prefer casual, enjoyable series like Budokai. Thank you.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am
Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am Only actual serious stabs at legit, properly competitive fighting games from here on in.
Not everyone is into online stuff, and has time to practice with the insane-level people. If DB only had games geared towards all the hardcore PvP players then I wouldn't even play them much anymore.

I prefer casual, enjoyable series like Budokai. Thank you.
Agreed. FighterZ was one of those games I played for 2 weeks and dropped it. I much prefer the casual fighters and RPGs. (The upcoming Kakarot game looks a lot of fun.)

Exclusively putting out "real" competitive fighters would get old fast. I for one wouldnt buy another one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 amExclusively putting out "real" competitive fighters would get old fast. .
Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat would like a word with you. :P

In all seriousness, I'm more than down with Dragon Ball games following in the path of FighterZ in terms of direction when it comes to fighting mechanics.

And if Dragon Ball wants to be an RPG, it need to go FULL RPG and not the half baked shit that Xenoverse is. It's same deal if a Dragon Ball games want be a beat em up or adventure game, as Kunzait_83 mentioned. Commit to being the best possible game for the genre you're aiming for.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 amExclusively putting out "real" competitive fighters would get old fast. .
Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat would like a word with you. :P

In all seriousness, I'm more than down with Dragon Ball games following in the path of FighterZ in terms of direction when it comes to fighting mechanics.

And if Dragon Ball wants to be an RPG, it need to go FULL RPG and not the half baked shit that Xenoverse is. It's same deal if a Dragon Ball games want be a beat em up or adventure game, as Kunzait_83 mentioned. Commit to being the best possible game for the genre you're aiming for.
SF and MK get old to me too. And yeah, obviously they should commit to the best quality game. With the money they have it should absolutely be possible.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat would like a word with you. :P
i dunno if mortal kombat is the best example of that considering it pretty much sat out the entire 2000s in terms of making a true, arcade style fighting game, hehe.
yeah, this is why i'm (and so many others, i think) so excited for kakarrot. i've waited so long for a home console action rpg dragon ball game, and well i don't hate xenoverse, it does suffer a lot from trying to be like 3 different things.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:06 am
Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm
Because the mad people would over analyze the fuck out of the 3 pages total throughout the set that mention power levels, driving the rest of us insane and bringing about the third world War.

Is that really what you want?
I don't have the time or interest in policing somebody running around publishing Super Saiyan 39 Gokuu versus Peter Pan novels longer than The Lord of the Rings.

Sorry, I'm not a cop, I'm too gay.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am I can't control what the general populace wants to create but by moving Dragon Ball into the public domain we can force corporations to compete with hundreds of thousands of people, eventually forcing them to try to create something new and exclusive. In-demand works can then have their money shared between many creators, rather than just already established corporations.

If it's public domain, it's not exclusive.
I think you misunderstand. Due to it being out of the public domain it has triggered other creators like Eiichiro Oda to come up with new original works instead of using DB characters to make money.
I understood. Keeping DB out of public domain meant artists had to make their own stuff to make any money. It didn't hinder creativity, it fostered it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:23 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am I can't control what the general populace wants to create but by moving Dragon Ball into the public domain we can force corporations to compete with hundreds of thousands of people, eventually forcing them to try to create something new and exclusive. In-demand works can then have their money shared between many creators, rather than just already established corporations.

If it's public domain, it's not exclusive.
I understood. Keeping DB out of public domain meant artists had to make their own stuff to make any money. It didn't hinder creativity, it fostered it.
I'm talking about creating original works. Shueisha can't rely on Dragon Ball if everyone else can also make Dragon Ball for profit.
She/Her
bisexual milf