Goku and Gohan should've been Vegans

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Goku and Gohan should've been Vegans

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am

So in your opinion, people who eat meat enjoy watching the mass murder of innocents? Guess I am a madman in real life, then...

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am So in your opinion, people who eat meat enjoy watching the mass murder of innocents? Guess I am a madman in real life, then...
No, what I said was that Goku and Gohan have no problem with innocent animals getting killed and turned into food, heck they were seen killing a lot of them in the show themselves, yet they claim that they hate innocents getting hurt. Take a look at this line from Goku here:
He claims that he can't stand innocent people and animals getting erased. This is hypocritical from him considering that he killed many innocent animals in the past, and has no problem with the fact that innocent animals get killed every day.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

No, what I said was that Goku and Gohan have no problem with innocent animals getting killed and turned into food, heck they were seen killing a lot of them in the show themselves, yet they claim that they hate innocents getting hurt. Take a look at this line from Goku here:
So your argument is that Goku is contradictory. Well yes, he is. I feel like that is a more reasonable concern (you should have just named this thread "Is Goku an hypocrite?" to be honest). You don't even have to look for such a specific detail like him not being a vegan. He claims he hates to see innocents erased yet adores a guy who erased six universes because he was bored one day.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 am

But what do you think will happen if Goku and Gohan turned vegans? They'll eat all the vegetation on earth leaving nothing for the animals to eat, and so they'll all starve to death, so in this case they'd do even more harm to the ecosystem than good. :thumbup:

Actually the better question should be why isn't Kuririn a vegan? Since he came from Shaolin-inspired background, that should make him the vegetarian. But since he just learned martial arts to get girls he wasn't that devoted for what stands for Buddhism in this universe.

Also are you seriously using the "If he cares about innocent animals then he shouldn't eat them" argument? Poaching is not the same as killing them for food. I'm a meat eater. I love meat, but that doesn't mean I support animal cruelty or poaching.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pm

It's not contradictory. A few animals dying so Goku and his family can eat is fundamentally different than animals getting killed because a bunch of evil dicks are looking for DBs or getting their jollies by causing destruction.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am So in your opinion, people who eat meat enjoy watching the mass murder of innocents? Guess I am a madman in real life, then...
He claims that he can't stand innocent people and animals getting erased. This is hypocritical from him considering that he killed many innocent animals in the past, and has no problem with the fact that innocent animals get killed every day.
Reminder: you're telling me that the guy who drew this in the 1980s (and would've drawn something like it in the '90s if he had the chance) should've been woke enough to appease vegans 30-going-on-40 years hence?

Culture and standards change. You can't prevent Birth of a Nation from being what it was. You can't change Taming of the Shrew to be pro-feminist. And you can't turn a barbarian country boy like Son Goku into a vegan unless Masako Nozawa pulls a Casey Kasem.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 pm

"Goku and Gohan should've been vegans"....um yeah, i honestly can't make heads or tails of your reasoning (or lack thereof) here. I assume you're saying they should have been written as something they have not nor will ever be. Seriously though, that's never been mentioned anywhere in the franchise because it is not part of either of their characters. :?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:22 am

What's funny about this topic is that Goku is a full vegan and Gohan is an half vegan. I mean Saiyan comme from Yasai which mean vegetable :lol:

Basically they are vegatable that eat meat, Toriyama as a way of making things amusing.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:22 am What's funny about this topic is that Goku is a full vegan and Gohan is an half vegan. I mean Saiyan comme from Yasai which mean vegetable :lol:

Basically they are vegatable that eat meat, Toriyama as a way of making things amusing.
Goku's a full vegan in canon? Really? I thought he'd survived his pre-Bulma childhood by hunting animals.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:13 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 am
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:22 am What's funny about this topic is that Goku is a full vegan and Gohan is an half vegan. I mean Saiyan comme from Yasai which mean vegetable :lol:

Goku's a full vegan in canon? Really? I thought he'd survived his pre-Bulma childhood by hunting animals.
I think you've missed my joke. :mrgreen:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:13 pm

I don't like seeing innocent people get hurt either. But I do love me some bbq ribs, buffalo wings, and pepperoni pizza. I don't understand the OP's logic.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:28 am

This is just hippy dippy Toei bullshit like that time they had Goku revive a bird before fighting Cooler, while being surrounded by animals when wounded like a Disney princess. Toriyama's Goku has never cared.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:02 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:28 am
This is just hippy dippy Toei bullshit like that time they had Goku revive a bird before fighting Cooler, while being surrounded by animals when wounded like a Disney princess. Toriyama's Goku has never cared.
Goku revived that bird so the corpse wouldn't spoil. He then tracked it down later and ate it whole.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:54 am

It is strange how Goku know Oolong but still eats pork. Isn't pork served at Bulma's party in Battle of gods? That must have been awkward for Oolong.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:07 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:54 am It is strange how Goku know Oolong but still eats pork. Isn't pork served at Bulma's party in Battle of gods? That must have been awkward for Oolong.
I think there's probably a difference between normal pigs and anthropomorphic pigs in that world.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:54 am It is strange how Goku know Oolong but still eats pork. Isn't pork served at Bulma's party in Battle of gods? That must have been awkward for Oolong.
Dark humor is glorious.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am

I'll just leave this.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:59 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am
I'll just leave this.
Uhm yeah, that gives that expression on Oolong's face a whole new meaning.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:29 am

Saiga wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:02 am Goku revived that bird so the corpse wouldn't spoil. He then tracked it down later and ate it whole.
Makes sense. Explains where all the animal people went too. Goku's hunger never ended. Often, small animal-type Earthling communities would suddenly vanish. They were assumed to have been hit by wasteland creatures and dragged away... dogs, cows, and sapient animal-types alike.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.