Personal Issues With Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Personal Issues With Dragon Ball GT

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

On the subject of that ending, it’s kind of weird that they made Shenlong out to be this all powerful being who can allow people to transcend mortality and can revive people who he’s already revived in the past. Sure, back when the series first started, Shenlong was made out to be this all powerful being with limitless power, but as the series went on, it was established that he’s only as powerful as his creator and that there are many limits to what he can do. Why did he suddenly become so powerful?

On another note, if overusing the Dragon Balls caused the Evil Dragons to be born, could the same thing potentially happen with the Namekian Dragon Balls?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:57 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Hoo boy...... Its clear we are not going to agree on this so I see no further point in continuing. Nothing either of us says will change the other's mind.
Well it's a shame, because I thought it was an interesting conversation about a deep subject. Regardless I was probably going to end this soon anyway since this thread is about GT. I just felt like opening this because you brought up time travel in the Goku Black arc in the OP.
I understand. And I respect your views even if I don't agree with them. Can we agree to disagree and respect the other's views?
Sure, I never put that in question. :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm

How did he transcend mortality?

The in-universe mechanics don't work, but thematically it's quite clear what they were going for. The DB's are gone and Goku gave his life to save everyone with no chance of him being revived like he had been the past. Where'd he go? Doesn't matter, it's not important.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:36 pm I liked the first part of GT, the ascension to Super Saiyan 4 and stuff like that but I didn't like the Shadow Dragon Saga simply due to the fact that it portrayed the use of the Dragon Balls to undo the damage caused by alien invasions as being selfish........... Which it wasn't.

The Goku Black Saga wasn't much better for much the same reasons. Though Time Travel is a different ballgame than using the Dragon Balls.
Sorry if i didn't read entire topic, maybe someone already pointed that out.

You completely missed point of this arc. No one said the wish you mentioned was selfish. it was NOT selfish. The only truly selfish wish was King Piccolo' s wish which is why Nuova was the only dragon that had good in him. The more selfless (good) wish is, the more negative (bad) energy has to be produced for balance.

If they were punished for being selfish it wouldn't be as dramatic as being punished for doing good things. Still, Shadow Dragons weren't meant to punish for doing bad or good things. Their existence was to punish for going an easy way, no matter what your goal was. It was a lesson for them to rely on their own powers.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:20 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm How did he transcend mortality?
Isn’t that what the ending implied, with the Dragon Balls going inside Goku and him not being an old man 100 years later?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I don't know. I think he was dead, but just checking in. Even though he doesn't have a halo, he's clearly dead. It's not to meant to be a logically coherent ending, simply an emotionally satisfying one. I think sometimes fans get hung up on in universe logic and miss out on the bigger picture.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:10 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:57 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Well it's a shame, because I thought it was an interesting conversation about a deep subject. Regardless I was probably going to end this soon anyway since this thread is about GT. I just felt like opening this because you brought up time travel in the Goku Black arc in the OP.
I understand. And I respect your views even if I don't agree with them. Can we agree to disagree and respect the other's views?
Sure, I never put that in question. :thumbup:
Sure thanks. :thumbup:
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm On the subject of that ending, it’s kind of weird that they made Shenlong out to be this all powerful being who can allow people to transcend mortality and can revive people who he’s already revived in the past. Sure, back when the series first started, Shenlong was made out to be this all powerful being with limitless power, but as the series went on, it was established that he’s only as powerful as his creator and that there are many limits to what he can do. Why did he suddenly become so powerful?
Probably because it was the end of the series. Oftentimes a series will return to its beginnings at the end in order to recapture its essence. In this case, that means Shen Long is an all-powerful god with no limits.
On another note, if overusing the Dragon Balls caused the Evil Dragons to be born, could the same thing potentially happen with the Namekian Dragon Balls?
Probably so, but it would likely never happen because the Namekians aren't selfish assholes.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:39 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:36 pm I liked the first part of GT, the ascension to Super Saiyan 4 and stuff like that but I didn't like the Shadow Dragon Saga simply due to the fact that it portrayed the use of the Dragon Balls to undo the damage caused by alien invasions as being selfish........... Which it wasn't.

The Goku Black Saga wasn't much better for much the same reasons. Though Time Travel is a different ballgame than using the Dragon Balls.
Sorry if i didn't read entire topic, maybe someone already pointed that out.

You completely missed point of this arc. No one said the wish you mentioned was selfish. it was NOT selfish. The only truly selfish wish was King Piccolo' s wish which is why Nuova was the only dragon that had good in him. The more selfless (good) wish is, the more negative (bad) energy has to be produced for balance.

If they were punished for being selfish it wouldn't be as dramatic as being punished for doing good things. Still, Shadow Dragons weren't meant to punish for doing bad or good things. Their existence was to punish for going an easy way, no matter what your goal was. It was a lesson for them to rely on their own powers.
Somebody already did say that actually.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm

I wish GT (or whatever ends up being DB's ending) brought it back around to Goku and Bulma in the finale. I like circularity in the endings of stories.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:31 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm I wish GT (or whatever ends up being DB's ending) brought it back around to Goku and Bulma in the finale. I like circularity in the endings of stories.
Haven't we already seen the official end of DB?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:31 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm I wish GT (or whatever ends up being DB's ending) brought it back around to Goku and Bulma in the finale. I like circularity in the endings of stories.
Not sure what you mean by this. Broly left the door open for continuation and we're getting a new movie soon.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm
Not sure what you mean by this. Broly left the door open for continuation and we're getting a new movie soon.
The end of DBZ is the end of the manga. And what new movie?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes, the manga is an ending but then there was GT, then there was Super, and so on. Some point we are going to get an ending where there will not be any subsequent DB stories.

We are getting a new movie next year. How do you not know this?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:20 pm

With the Japanese Blu-Ray release of Broly, the head of Dragon Ball-room TOEI Iyoku confirmed they were already steadily preparing a new animated movie. Nothing is officially said about a release date.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:20 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm Not sure what you mean by this. Broly left the door open for continuation and we're getting a new movie soon.
With the Japanese Blu-Ray release of Broly, the head of Dragon Ball-room TOEI Iyoku confirmed they were already steadily preparing a new animated movie. Nothing is officially said about a release date.
I checked it out and your right check this out. https://omnitos.com/news/2019/06/04/new ... 100-coming. It seems that the new movie won't be related to the anime like Broly. Or at least it seemed that way.