If a new series were to be developed, Toei should go for a different approach

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: If a new series were to be developed, Toei should go for a different approach

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:49 pmWhich I already stated in the next reply. I don't equate popularity with nostalgia, not in this case at least. There's not enough of the old Broly in the new one to say they were banking on nostalgia. Same thing with Minus Bardock, even though here the old design is almost intact- he just feels so different from the original OVA Bardock that he evokes no sense of familiarity.
I understand if you don't feel it's nostalgic but I think that misses their intention. Toriyama didn't one day decide that Broly wasn't done justice and needs to be fixed. Toriyama didn't write the original Broly so he's giving his take on the character after his editor suggested him. If Broly wasn't already so popular, it's unlikely anyone involved would be interested in using him again. The trailer mostly focused on Broly being enraged and fighting which is what he's most known for.