Do You Consider Path to Power more of a GT movie than DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Do You Consider Path to Power more of a GT movie than DB?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 am

I know it technically is a Dragon Ball movie in most respects being yet another different retelling of the manga and anime's first story arc, namely with switching particular things around like including the (redesigned) Red Ribbon Army as the film's villains in place of the Pilaf gang though in terms of the four relating to the original series i'd say it also qualifies as a sorta kinda DBGT film based on a few key things relating to the time of the movie's production even if it was primarily celebrating the anime's tenth anniversary. True, it's more or less an OG DB film though the GT trappings are indeed there and it's almost a hybrid with the particular elements that i'll mention below.

#1 Timing of release: The movie released to theaters about a month after GT premiered on television, so clearly it somewhat tied in with being the new thing at the time.

#2 Animation: Being that the precedent was already there through the previous DB/DBZ films for the movie's crew to be effectively the same as the show, so it's no surprise this film shares a similar look as the product then airing on TV concurrently.

#3 Music: Obviously seeing as Akhito Tokunaga was also doing the show's score, and Dan Dan Kokoro Hikarteku was actually used for the movie's closing.

#4 Goku's clothing: Partway into the film they have Goku go from his classic all blue gi to the blue/yellow one he wears in the show, so it's not unreasonable to assume they were tying into the latter with said change.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do You Consider Path to Power more of a GT movie than DB?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 am

Yeah I consider it a GT movie, due to the art style and the music, plus a bunch of things were redesigned too.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 am Yeah I consider it a GT movie, due to the art style and the music, plus a bunch of things were redesigned too.
Especially being that there wasn't an actual GT movie proper during the show's run in 1996-1997 although there at least was the TV special.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 am

I consider it a 10th anniversary Dragon Ball film in GT drag. It’s got GT’s composer, GT’s art direction, Goku ends up in his GT gi, the GT opening is used for the movie’s end credits.

It’s not a Dragon Ball film the same way Legend of Shen Long, Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle, and Mystical Adventure are but it doesn’t feel right to call it a GT film.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 am

I just call all twenty movies Dragon Ball movies. I think piling them into different groups is kind of pointless and isn't even something that Toei Animation itself does in how they promote the films.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 am I consider it a 10th anniversary Dragon Ball film in GT drag. It’s got GT’s composer, GT’s art direction, Goku ends up in his GT gi, the GT opening is used for the movie’s end credits.

It’s not a Dragon Ball film the same way Legend of Shen Long, Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle, and Mystical Adventure are but it doesn’t feel right to call it a GT film.
True i guess saying it's a GT movie isn't all that accurate, though the connections are definitely there in those bits which i named above given the time in which it released. It's effectively adapting the first arc of the manga/anime with some alterations and happened to have the aforementioned elements of said show that had come out on TV just a month prior to the film's premiere.

It's more or less a straight up retelling of the Pilaf/Hunt for Dragon Balls arc only with Pilaf, Mai and Shu substituted for redesigned versions of the Red Ribbon Army characters and GT flavoring in those ways above.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am, edited 11 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:23 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 am I just call all twenty movies Dragon Ball movies. I think piling them into different groups is kind of pointless and isn't even something that Toei Animation itself does in how they promote the films.
It's like the thing with the manga, as in Japan it's always been released as Dragon Ball since the initial serialization in one single 42 (34 for kanzenban) volume, 519 chapter story whereas here they did the same DB/DBZ split thing as the anime.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am

Yeah I've never considered it to be a "Dragon Ball" film and I always dislike when it's referred to as "DB Movie 4" or whatever. It's the Anniversary movie in my mind. The GT elements are obvious but not enough for me to call it a GT film.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:50 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am Yeah I've never considered it to be a "Dragon Ball" film and I always dislike when it's referred to as "DB Movie 4" or whatever. It's the Anniversary movie in my mind. The GT elements are obvious but not enough for me to call it a GT film.
I believe it stands alone apart from the other three OG DB movies even with adapting and changing around the first arc much in the same way The Legend of Shen Long/Curse of the Blood Rubies did previously, and yeah even with those things labeling it as GT isn't very accurate overall.

It's a tenth anniversary movie, which came out in theaters as GT was a few episodes into it's run on Japanese TV and of course the film would use the same animation/musical score assets and everything that the show running concurrently did as the preceding three DB and 13 Z movies had done before.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 am

ITOEI's much maligned GT version of much beloved Akira Toriyama's DB storyline

Plus they butchered the story of an otherwise peak storyline of DB. GT for ya🤣🤣🤣

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 pm

It's both.

It's a Dragon Ball movie made in the GT era, with GT's music, GT's animation style and designs, etc.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.