2020 Dragon Ball predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

2020 Dragon Ball predictions

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm

I noticed this year we haven’t had this thread. I was wondering, what are your predictions (and thus wishes too) for this year’s Dragon Ball content?

I will start off:
1. A new movie written by Toriyama will be announced, with a release date for Fall 2020;
2. The “Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc” in the manga will wrap up in the chapter out on November 21 and a new arc, set after the movie, will begin in December.
3. Moro will be defeated by a tag-team of Goku and Vegeta.
4. Xenoverse 3 will be announced;
5. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot will become the highest selling DB game ever.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: 2020 Dragon Ball predictions

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Probably the return of Super or a new movie based on the Moro arc.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 pm

More like a wish, I just want Xenoverse 3 (or any game with an original plot) to be announced and Heroes to keep exploring and expanding stuff. Anything else that turns out to be good I'll just gladly take it and whatever turns out to be bad... Well, it'll just be a pity.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Xenoverse and Heroes are a great "whatever" to me (boring new stuff, yaaay), but I think Xenoverse 3 is still possible. However, I have my doubts about Xenoverse 3 being announced this year.

About the predictions:

1 - A new arc in the manga about universe 6.
2 - DLC with Super material in DBZ Kakarot.
3 - Moro won't be killed, just sealed.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm

A new movie written by Toriyama Akira will be announced for Summer 2021. A new animated series will be announced either in December 2020 or later.

Otherwise, things will move along as usual.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:14 pm

- We'll get some news on what the continuation of Super will be.
- - Shintani will return with his animation style and direction on the series.
- - It won't be called "Dragon Ball Super", and will have some sort of rebranding effort.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:35 pm

I wondered if Kai will go out of print and eventually the sets will skyrocket in price?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:29 pm Probably the return of Super or a new movie based on the Moro arc.
I don't see Super returning this year as we already know that Digimon will take hypothetical DBS airtime. Unless they change airtime for Super.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:29 pm Probably the return of Super or a new movie based on the Moro arc.
I don't see Super returning this year as we already know that Digimon will take hypothetical DBS airtime. Unless they change airtime for Super.
Was that confirmed? I know the Digimon series was announced but I've only see people speculate it's taking the Kitaro/Super timeslot.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Was that confirmed? I know the Digimon series was announced but I've only see people speculate it's taking the Kitaro/Super timeslot.
I'm pretty sure it's confirmed it will air instead of Kitaro in April, while Kitaro ends in March.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:26 pm

Long running series is too much for someone of Nozawa's age.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:32 pm

I doubt DBZK will out sell Fighterz because the game is getting mixed reviews. Most people are probably going to wait for the price drop to buy DBZK.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 am

I'm an optimist so I'll predict that Bulma will go old school and use her sex appeal to overcome a threat while Vegeta sits in the background slowly boiling over with rage
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:59 am

1- XV3 will either be announced at E3.

2- Funimation will release DB on Blu-Ray.

3- A new movie will be announced for 2021.

4- The Moro arc will wrap up with an announcement for the new arc.

5- Kakarot's DLC will all come out this year with a surprise season 2 announcement for 2021.
samuraix123 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:35 pm I wondered if Kai will go out of print and eventually the sets will skyrocket in price?
They've been in print for years so why would they ? it's not like they're some special edition.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:24 am

There will be nothing like it wasn't last year.
Just 1 month/1 chapter and false rumors about return of DB Super.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 am

The Ocean dub of Kai will finally come out.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am

Super dlc for DBZ Kakarot and a new Super movie/return of the anime.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Oh hey! I love these threads! :)

First up, let's see how I did with 2019:
I did about as well as I'd have expected, honestly.

Now for 2020...
  • DBZ Kakarot gets DLC based on Super, and possibly some of the Z movies, but no DB, GT, or EoZ material. To the shock and surprise of precisely no one at all, no one cares about this, and the perception that OG DB is inherently just the disposable comedic prequel to Funimation's Popular American '90s Saturday Morning Cartoon Dragon Ball ZEE remains strong as ever in the west.
  • No Dragon Ball Full Colour volumes in 2020.
  • Super doesn't return in the first half of the year.
  • Toei announce a new movie, with Shintani returning to work on it.
  • SelectaVision announce a Blu-ray of DBZ; just like their DB Blu-ray, it's an upscale of the Dragon Box that, due to shitty DNR filtering, is inferior to the DBox.
  • Ocean Kai remains unreleased, but at least one promising, new opportunity for it to release presents itself.
  • The Moro arc will have Vegeta show up and seem to be ready to beat Moro, but ultimately Goku will take the win, likely by tapping into Ultra Instinct. And thus, the only thing that will have changed since last arc is Vegeta and Goku are slightly stronger, and Vegeta has maybe one or two new techniques up his sleeve; the actual status quo will be unchanged, and no one will have experienced any character growth.
  • The next arc will involve Broly.
  • Broly and Cheelai will not be romantically involved, greatly disappointing shippers the world over.
  • If Kale and Caulifla are involved, their role will be somewhat disappointing; as with all the women of Dragon Ball who aren't Bulma, Toriyama will have decided to sideline them for no good reason.
  • Oob gets referenced again.
  • The next storyline will seem to be doing something ambitious and interesting, but as with every other post-BOG storyline, the status quo will remain unchanged by the end.
  • Beers and Whis will continue to have a reduced role as we've seen in the Moro arc and Broly.
  • The next arc will involve Freeza.
  • Another bloody fighting game is announced. Possibly a sequel to FighterZ.
  • The Kanzenshuu Wiki does not go live in 2020. :P
  • The new Dragon Ball movie is not an adaptation of the Moro arc, and the next manga arc is not adapted from the movie storyline either.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.