Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 pm Uh actually Funimation HAS been including the original subbed versions of DBZ on their DVDs for like two decades now, so not sure what you're talking about there :?
Yes, and they've had bilingual releases of the series ever since 2000 starting with the two Captain Ginyu volumes. The last dub only DVDs i know of are the edited single disc versions of the movies though it pretty much ended after that point as there were no further releases in that format.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:26 pm There's no such thing as a non-political piece of media though, everything is political like it or not. I get being bothered by changes though, sometimes they are necessary because sometimes very Japanese specific things like puns or wordplay simply will not translate well into English.
Yeah, there kind of is. Dragon Ball is a great example. And the GG line was completely unnecessary as seen by their change of it for the BD release of the anime they had it in. All that Funimation has to do for most anime is just faithfully translate the dialogue so the meaning is the same. They don't need to completely change things for fun like they did even in Kai. The only anime I've seen with Japan-specific puns/references/wordplay is Gintama, and I still loved it. Funimation doesn't need to change things, they just do because they're fucking idiots.
MuscleRobo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 pmYou can switch Ghost Stories to Japanese and turn on the subs and have the original work. You can't do that with some funimation releases.
Which releases are those? Funimation always includes the original Japanese audio track and English subtitles as far as I know.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:07 pm

By giving us inaccurate subs in things like Evangelion 3.33, Shin Godzilla or SSSS.Gridman I don't consider them giving us the original product. If you want to keep moving the goal posts instead of addressing actual issues how about Japanese audio of Speed Racer only being on a limited edition $300 collector's set. Also no original Shin Chan
Last edited by MuscleRobo on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:19 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:26 pm There's no such thing as a non-political piece of media though, everything is political like it or not. I get being bothered by changes though, sometimes they are necessary because sometimes very Japanese specific things like puns or wordplay simply will not translate well into English.
Yeah, there kind of is. Dragon Ball is a great example. And the GG line was completely unnecessary as seen by their change of it for the BD release of the anime they had it in. All that Funimation has to do for most anime is just faithfully translate the dialogue so the meaning is the same. They don't need to completely change things for fun like they did even in Kai. The only anime I've seen with Japan-specific puns/references/wordplay is Gintama, and I still loved it. Funimation doesn't need to change things, they just do because they're fucking idiots.
MuscleRobo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 pmYou can switch Ghost Stories to Japanese and turn on the subs and have the original work. You can't do that with some funimation releases.
Which releases are those? Funimation always includes the original Japanese audio track and English subtitles as far as I know.
Nope there's absolutely no such thing as a piece of media that's not political at all. I don't think changing things automatically makes them idiots.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:07 pm By giving us inaccurate subs in things like Evangelion 3.33, Shin Godzilla or SSSS.Gridman I don't consider them giving us the original product. If you want to keep moving the goal posts instead of addressing actual issues how about Japanese audio of Speed Racer only being on a limited edition $300 collector's set. Also no original Shin Chan
1) How good is your Japanese to see they were inaccurate, or were the typos? Sometimes that can slip through cracks. Also it seems SSSS Gridman's limited edition is packed with extras, so may not be so bad. From what you're saying it's not like the Shout Factory releases of the Japanese Transformers series that have the US names in them. And that's more from not confusing and TF fans not being too caring of the Japanese names. (Some will yell at you if you say "Convoy" instead of Optimus).

2) Are they your favorite shows, as I've noticed you keep bringing this up a lot.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:18 pm

I don’t get why people are acting like the Ghost Stories gag dub should be a GOOD example of changing lines from a show and no one minding. For the record, that dub was ALWAYS problematic trash featuring racist and homophobic “jokes”.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm From what you're saying it's not like the Shout Factory releases of the Japanese Transformers series that have the US names in them. And that's more from not confusing and TF fans not being too caring of the Japanese names. (Some will yell at you if you say "Convoy" instead of Optimus).
One goofy error with Shout's name changes to the US toy names, was in Masterforce where a character is bleeding, and one of the characters says "blood?" The problem is, there is a Transformer whose Japanese name is Blood, and they clearly used find and replace to change ever character's name, since the subtitles say "Bomburst?" In that scene, which has nothing to do with Bomburst whatsoever.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm
MuscleRobo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:07 pm By giving us inaccurate subs in things like Evangelion 3.33, Shin Godzilla or SSSS.Gridman I don't consider them giving us the original product. If you want to keep moving the goal posts instead of addressing actual issues how about Japanese audio of Speed Racer only being on a limited edition $300 collector's set. Also no original Shin Chan
1) How good is your Japanese to see they were inaccurate, or were the typos? Sometimes that can slip through cracks. Also it seems SSSS Gridman's limited edition is packed with extras, so may not be so bad. From what you're saying it's not like the Shout Factory releases of the Japanese Transformers series that have the US names in them. And that's more from not confusing and TF fans not being too caring of the Japanese names. (Some will yell at you if you say "Convoy" instead of Optimus).

2) Are they your favorite shows, as I've noticed you keep bringing this up a lot.
Because they're ones I've bought and been burned on. How many more examples do you need? Outlaw Star, Prison School, Escaflowne, Code Geass, Dumbbells, Danganronpa, Re:Zero, Dragon Ball .... do I need to meet a certain threshold for you to acknowledge funimation doesn't know how to translate shows or author a blu ray? I thought those three were good examples since the audio is messed up in Evangelion, the visuals are edited in Shin Godzilla and the translation is garbage in SSSS.Gridman enough to mess up the canon of the show. I mean the translation is garbage in all three but still. Do I need to bring up a new show each time? I saw they got the rights to Paranoia Agent and despite being an amazing show by Satoshi Kon I'd have to wait and see what the issue they will have with the blu-ray will be before deciding if its a deal breaker. As someone who watched the Japanese Transformers shows the name change is annoying especially when a character has ROAD KING plastered against his chest but it doesn't bother me at all compared to editing the script of the show thinking you're improving it without having seen the full show yet.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Perhaps you should see if you can find the Geneon release. Or the Bandai ones for Escaflowne and Code Geass, as those you can still find online or at conventions.