Casting Akira Kamiya as Bardock?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Casting Akira Kamiya as Bardock?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm

How would that idea have been? We know the only role he got in DBZ was Garlic Jr., but outside of that he's so much more. Plus I think he'd make a fitting portrayal of his completely different personality from what Goku is.

What do you think if you also didn't prefer Nozawa as Bardock also?

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Casting Akira Kamiya as Bardock?

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm

I think Kamiya's strengths comes from switching between serious and silly like when he plays Kinniku Suguru or Ryo Saeba and Bardock is mostly serious you know? I don't know if Kamiya would've been excellent in that role in particular. He could've been a great Goku if they didn't keep Nozawa in Z maybe. Sorry to blaspheme but it's just a fun what if.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:33 pm

That would have been interesting definitely. Kamiya can handle both serious and comical roles very well.

Though currently Masako Nozawa (and her successor) has the monopoly on all the male roles of Goku's family: Goku, Gohan, Goten, Goku Jr, Bardock, Black Goku. (I wonder if she can't someday voice a female relative)

(She never voiced Raditz, but who knows if she'd have...)
Last edited by DragonBallFoodie on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:12 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm I think Kamiya's strengths comes from switching between serious and silly like when he plays Kinniku Suguru or Ryo Saeba and Bardock is mostly serious you know? I don't know if Kamiya would've been excellent in that role in particular. He could've been a great Goku if they didn't keep Nozawa in Z maybe. Sorry to blaspheme but it's just a fun what if.
No problem about that, I had to get used to that one as well but she was Toriyama's choice for Goku's voice. Bardock however most likely wasn't Toriyama's choice, so I think Kamiya would have had no obstacles on that front.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm

In the unpopular camp that Masako Nozawa is a good choice for Bardock and plays him well. That said if anyone else in the Japanese version should voice him, it's Shigeru Chiba.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm In the unpopular camp that Masako Nozawa is a good choice for Bardock and plays him well. That said if anyone else in the Japanese version should voice him, it's Shigeru Chiba.
What are his notable credits compared to Kamiya?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:13 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm In the unpopular camp that Masako Nozawa is a good choice for Bardock and plays him well. That said if anyone else in the Japanese version should voice him, it's Shigeru Chiba.
Shigeru Chiba was the voice of Raditz so there’s the obvious precedent of him already voicing one of Goku’s Saiyan family members. He looks like Goku but sounds like Raditz sort of thing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 am

Nozawa should have voiced Raditz, too, in my opinion. Do a sort of a snide, high-pitch cackle of sorts, let her really go ham with how evil Raditz is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:20 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm How would that idea have been? We know the only role he got in DBZ was Garlic Jr., but outside of that he's so much more. Plus I think he'd make a fitting portrayal of his completely different personality from what Goku is.

Tbh, Nozawa is a legend. Period. She knows the business & has been a legend over 50+ years iirc. Dats more than half a decade. Who are we....mere kids in 20's & 30's to talk abt Nozawa career?

Durin my initial viewing, yes. I felt Bardock's high-pitched battle cries as jarring. But dats an issue I've always had with Goku, Gohan whenever they yell.

But Bardock is battle-hardened warrior. He should've had more like Goku Black's vocal pitch.

But as rewatching it now...and Episode of Bardock. Dayum. Nozawa killed the role.

Akira Kamiya is undeniably great choice. But I don't think I would've bought Kamiya's performance of Bardock undergoin "transformation" or change of heart into saving his race from Frieza.

Nozawa brought forth the innocence+edgynes well durin Bardock/Frieza faceoff And I think Kamiya would've brought badaassery+ruthlessness...something which would've prevented us from buying Bardock's heroic moment...to save his planet & people from certain genocide. So yeah, end of the day...felt Nozawa was suitable choice

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:08 am

Vijay wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:20 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm How would that idea have been? We know the only role he got in DBZ was Garlic Jr., but outside of that he's so much more. Plus I think he'd make a fitting portrayal of his completely different personality from what Goku is.

Tbh, Nozawa is a legend. Period. She knows the business & has been a legend over 50+ years iirc. Dats more than half a decade. Who are we....mere kids in 20's & 30's to talk abt Nozawa career?
And people are different, it’s not like Kamiya isn’t one as well. During the 70’s he was pretty much an equivalent to the likes of Nobuyuki Hiyama (before he was even there of course) and quite a lot more than that as well in later years (being Kenshirō and all).
Akira Kamiya is undeniably great choice. But I don't think I would've bought Kamiya's performance of Bardock undergoin "transformation" or change of heart into saving his race from Frieza.

Nozawa brought forth the innocence+edgynes well durin Bardock/Frieza faceoff And I think Kamiya would've brought badaassery+ruthlessness...something which would've prevented us from buying Bardock's heroic moment...to save his planet & people from certain genocide. So yeah, end of the day...felt Nozawa was suitable choice
He’s also voiced a huge number of protagonists (lots of them in Toei Super Robot series besides just Kenshirō) as well as antagonists during his career, so I don’t see that as being much of a problem. Which is a testament to his range.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 pm

Although I think Kamiya would have been great in that role, I don't have many problems with Nozawa's performance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Would've been more interesting than Nozawa in my opinion. Nothing against her, it just doesn't fit to me. Say whatever you want about the dub, Sonny Strait does a great job making Bardock sound like he should.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:40 pm

If Bardock's story and design had been different, then maybe another actor would have worked. But as it was, no one other than Nozawa could have played him. He's another Goku analogue.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:18 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:13 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am
Shigeru Chiba was the voice of Raditz so there’s the obvious precedent of him already voicing one of Goku’s Saiyan family members. He looks like Goku but sounds like Raditz sort of thing.
Why does it even have to be literal nepotism all the way though?