What is Anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What is Anime?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:31 am

Cartoons with good directing, character and art design, animation, sound design and colors are still cartoon. 'Anime' are 'cartoons'. The kantoku system of using a skilled director to act as an auteur for a series is what has given Japanese cartoons their creative quality. The US hasn't quite had that sort of structure in place of "trusting the individuality of series directors, episode directors and animators" unfortunately.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 pm

I think it's unfair to strip "anime" of its very specific look and style.

Yes, it means cartoon. Yes, it was mostly traditional look is routed in Disney's style. Animation is animation.

But anime is at this point a term used to describe animation with a certain group of visual characteristics that come from Japan. It's one of Japan's most important exports and I think it should be recognized as such.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:20 pm

I think it's small-minded and ridiculous to say that "Anime" is defined purely by a different visual aesthetic, if I'm to be totally honest.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:08 amAnime may be cartoons, but anime itself still feels like a different breed of animation.

Animated Japanese shows have better looking animation than America. Trying see an American cartoon show with animation like this
Just look flat and boring American cartoons are
In Japan, most animated shows target a wide group of people where they're suitable for children, but also compelling for adults. I think this difference is the result of how animation and children are viewed in both countries.

In America, Animation is looked at as a lesser form of entertainment, thus not worth telling stories in. Children in America are looked and treated as a bit smarter than a gold fish, which results in companies and authors believing they can't handle anything more than...whatever it is you can call the examples you showed. Even cartoons made for adults don't look much better, proving that even adult standards for animation isn't much higher than it is for children.

Japan is the complete opposite, animation is a very respectable form of entertainment and storytelling, thus is taken seriously by everyone involved, from the people making them to the people watching them. Children in Japan are treated like mentally capable human beings who can understand stories and characters, which results in shows being made with everyone in mind, despite being looked at as adult shows in the west.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:20 pm I think it's small-minded and ridiculous to say that "Anime" is defined purely by a different visual aesthetic, if I'm to be totally honest.
If this is related to my post, no, it's not "purely" defined by it's aesthetic, but it sure has a lot to do with differentiating it from traditional American and European based animation and there is nothing wrong with that. Aesthetic plays a major role in any visual medium.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Japanese cartoons are diverse, though. They're not monolithic nor is everyone well made. 'Anime' is not an indicator of style or quality.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 pm Children in Japan are treated like mentally capable human beings who can understand stories and characters, which results in shows being made with everyone in mind, despite being looked at as adult shows in the west.
That always confuses me. In America, something like Death Note is view for grown ups while Japan has it as a series for kids. So would something like Watchmen for kids in Japan if it was published there. American and Japanese standers make no sense.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pmIn America, something like Death Note is view for grown ups while Japan has it as a series for kids.
I think it all goes back to what society expect from children. In Japan, they're expected to be mentally capable people, while in America, a bit smarter than a gold fish, but not by too much. From what I understand about Japanese culture, society expects a lot from children, especially in school, so the idea of being able to take in a show like death note is the bare minimum that's expected from them.
Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pmWould something like Watchmen for kids in Japan if it was published there.
I haven't read it but if what I know about it is enough, then yes, it would be a children/all ages book. If not, it would take very small changes to get it there.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pmIn America, something like Death Note is view for grown ups while Japan has it as a series for kids.
I think it all goes back to what society expect from children. In Japan, they're expected to be mentally capable people, while in America, a bit smarter than a gold fish, but not by too much. From what I understand about Japanese culture, society expects a lot from children, especially in school, so the idea of being able to take in a show like death note is the bare minimum that's expected from them.
Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pmWould something like Watchmen for kids in Japan if it was published there.
I haven't read it but if what I know about it is enough, then yes, it would be a children/all ages book. If not, it would take very small changes to get it there.
It's more the mentality of TV networks over here then it is the creators, they are trying to be careful not to incur the wrath of the censors(there was that infamous debacle where Disney refused to air reruns of an episode of Star Vs the Forces of Evil just because it featured same-sex couples kissing).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:49 pm Japanese cartoons are diverse, though. They're not monolithic nor is everyone well made. 'Anime' is not an indicator of style or quality.
Absolutely. Konosuba and Vinland Saga are as different as night and day, but if you'd show a picture from one of these shows to someone that hasn't seen either they would most likely recognize them as "anime" in both occasions.