Why doesnt Roshi wish to be younger?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Why doesnt Roshi wish to be younger?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:42 am

He's immortal (in the sense he won't age) but I wonder why he never wished to be younger? His power would arguably increase, although he's not doing too bad these days. Would it just be awkward for him?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why doesnt Roshi wish to be younger?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:52 am

Cheating time is definitely something Roshi would be fundamentally opposed to. The single biggest part of his character arc was seeing that the world of martial arts had passed him by and stepping aside for the new generation.

That's like asking why Goku or Vegeta wouldn't wish for more strength.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:52 am Cheating time is definitely something Roshi would be fundamentally opposed to. The single biggest part of his character arc was seeing that the world of martial arts had passed him by and stepping aside for the new generation.

Overall I agree with that, but with his involvement again in Super (anime and manga), I feel like it's something that could be brought up.

Goku and Vegeta have too much pride to cheat like that and Roshi already doesn't age, so there was that as well

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:14 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:52 am Cheating time is definitely something Roshi would be fundamentally opposed to. The single biggest part of his character arc was seeing that the world of martial arts had passed him by and stepping aside for the new generation.

Overall I agree with that, but with his involvement again in Super (anime and manga), I feel like it's something that could be brought up.

Goku and Vegeta have too much pride to cheat like that and Roshi already doesn't age, so there was that as well
Also, the next generation of martial artists is a bit of a joke. With the exception of Goku, none of them have shown the ability to improve or grow, so it's not as if Roshi's initial reason for stepping aside holds valid. Whatever potential Roshi saw them has clearly been squandered so why wouldn't he ask for a second chance to reach new heights?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm

It doesn't look like he needs it, with his stamina and reflexes being beyond normal for a man like him.

All he could benefit from being younger is better looks?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:14 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Also, the next generation of martial artists is a bit of a joke. With the exception of Goku, none of them have shown the ability to improve or grow, so it's not as if Roshi's initial reason for stepping aside holds valid. Whatever potential Roshi saw them has clearly been squandered so why wouldn't he ask for a second chance to reach new heights?
Huh? I mean, relative to the Saiyans they didn't do much but Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha far exceeded ANYTHING Roshi was capable of
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:24 pm

I feel like for Roshi that would fall under the "it goes against the natural order" rule. At least until you told him it'd make it easier for him to fondle girls, I suppose...

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 pm

True reason?

Because he wouldn't be Muten Roshi we know anymore.

Just like how Goku is known for his spiky hair, or Tenshinhan for his bald head, and third eye, Roshi is, despite we seeing him in his youth, most recognizable as old man wearing sunglasses.

I do think that he could somehow get a tehnique that gives him back his youth for a short period of time.
That would have been his "transformation", sort of.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:14 pm Huh? I mean, relative to the Saiyans they didn't do much but Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha far exceeded ANYTHING Roshi was capable of
And then quickly plateaued. Roshi meanwhile continued to push past his limits when he decided to resume training himself so that by the time of the ToP he's far exceeded his former students. If not in raw power than definitely in fighting ability.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Hes already supposedly 'immortal' as far as dying from old age goes. and has shown hes keeping up his training. An undying(save for from murder or sacrificing his life force) old master that just keeps training and getting more badass? thats a good character for roshi

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:19 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:14 pm Huh? I mean, relative to the Saiyans they didn't do much but Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha far exceeded ANYTHING Roshi was capable of
And then quickly plateaued. Roshi meanwhile continued to push past his limits when he decided to resume training himself so that by the time of the ToP he's far exceeded his former students. If not in raw power than definitely in fighting ability.
Heck if we go by the manga he is even somewhat close to ultra instinct