Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 am

If the Saiyan race hosts members so powerful they could destroy the universe or multiple universes, then Frieza wiping them out can be interpreted as an act of heroism.

The argument that driving a race to extinction (near-extinction?) is wrong is there, but what if this particular race was too powerful? What if not just Frieza but the whole galaxy felt the same way about them?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:35 am

It's not heroism if it's explicitly for the wrong reasons.

There are grades of this along the way. Gohan wants to be a superhero to help people for the right reasons (because it's the right thing to do). Goku often times inadvertently helps people (or, like, saves the planet), but does know it's the right thing to do, and probably would anyway, even if he might have other motivations.

Freeza... uhh... was afraid and just liked committing genocide. That ain't no hero.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am

But Freeza didn't do it because he was driven by some heroic goal to preserve the universe, he did it because he feared the saiyans would become too dangerous to his regime in the long run. It was for a completely selfish reason. There's no nuance here.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

We don't know, and probably never will know the level of opinion about the Saiyans.

But if the galaxy thought the Saiyans were the most feared people in the galaxy, then at least some of them may have felt grateful to Frieza for wiping them out (assuming that they knew he did it).

There's no disputing that Freeza is a monster, the dispute is if his action was the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by DragonBallFoodie on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 am

Though of course for a while Freeza was using the Saiyans more or less as underling grunts in his planet operations, and even then his extermination of them came from a fear/paranoia of them rising up against him and his organization in rebellion plus the fact that he never really trusted them to remain allegiant in that role to begin with, which the Bardock special clearly shows in spades. His decision to wipe out Planet Vegeta and the entire Saiyan race didn't come from a pure or noble reason. Though of course, depending on if people on other worlds elsewhere had found out he was behind it rather than thinking it was a meteor collision perhaps quite a few really did feel grateful in some way that he did away with them. The Saiyans were ultimately barbaric savages who lived to kill, and it's likely that more than a few worlds in the greater area of the universe feared them. Even though what Freeza did wasn't heroic in of itself, it can be considered somewhat so in disguise given their reputation which spared a lot of other worlds and their people the fate of being massacred by them.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 am

I wouldn't call it heroism but killing off a (almost always) chaotic evil race of blood thirsty super warriors is probably something the rest of the galaxy appreciated. It's an example of evil people doing (arguably) good things for entirely evil reasons.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:11 am

Going to make the incredibly brave decree that genocide is wrong no matter what.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

Most species in the universe would hate Freeza and his family a lot more than the saiyans. They killed many more people and pretty much devastated the U7 along with Buu.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am

Not really, as he wasn't doing it for heroic reasons, it was due to his fear from them. That's not to say they didn't deserve it, but he's no better than they were.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm the kind of guy who considers more than the henchmen, it's the mind that ordered the hit is considered evil.

Saiyans invaded Planet Plant, took it by force from Tuffles & made it their home. Pretty sure it was Frieza/King Cold who ordered Saiyans on mass conquest/genocide across the Galaxy

Not sayin Saiyans were innocent, but pretty sure whatever invasion those barbaric monkey 😂 would've done is considerably on small-scale. It was Frieza's intrusion which made Saiyans atrocities/menace to spread across the universe.

And yeah, Frieza (despite being afraid of Super Saiyan legend) can be considered a hero for eradicating Saiyans. Just imagine another 10K Nappa/Raditz/Veggie roaming around...humans/Z fighters had enuf screw-ups Veggie inflicted with Frieza, Cell & Boo. So yeah. A clean no with Saiyans

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:03 pm

Of all the bad takes this is pretty bad.

Wiping out an entire race just because you don't want any of them staging a coup and overthrowing you so you can reign supreme as emperor of the universe does not make you a hero. Even in hindsight.

Freeza was no better than the Saiyans. It's made pretty clear that the only thing separating Vegeta from Freeza is Freeza has power that Vegeta only wishes he had.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am We don't know, and probably never will know the level of opinion about the Saiyans.

But if the galaxy thought the Saiyans were the most feared people in the galaxy, then at least some of them may have felt grateful to Frieza for wiping them out (assuming that they knew he did it).

There's no disputing that Freeza is a monster, the dispute is if his action was the lesser of two evils.
...But having Frieza around is even WORSE for those same planets. Frieza didn't solve anything for those other races but give them a new face to see before they die.

The Saiyan genocide was a bunch of bullsharks being taken out by a big ass Great White Shark. The sea is still unsafe for human swimming.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:11 am Going to make the incredibly brave decree that genocide is wrong no matter what.
Maybe in real life, but against certain fictional nonhuman species it could be justified. For example, I doubt anyone would shed a tear over the genocide of monsters like this.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:11 am Going to make the incredibly brave decree that genocide is wrong no matter what.
Maybe in real life, but against certain fictional nonhuman species it could be justified. For example, I doubt anyone would shed a tear over the genocide of monsters like this.
Or the flood in Halo.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:49 pm

There's also no real evidence that the Saiyans were any real threat to the existence of the Universe 7.

The Supreme Kais ignored them, Beerus ignored them and they had a planet trade business of their own. They werent just mindlessly killing everyone around them.

Freeza was motivated by his own cowardice and self-interest, there's nothing heroic about what he did.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:37 pm

It's definitely bad in real life and even from the context of within a story FREEZA IS STILL A HORRIBLE PERSON FOR COMMITTING GENOCIDE BECAUSE GENOCIDE IS FUCKING HORRIFIC. Freeza is a bad boy who needs to be jailed for his horrific crimes, not celebrated as a hero.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:37 pm
It's definitely bad in real life and even from the context of within a story FREEZA IS STILL A HORRIBLE PERSON FOR COMMITTING GENOCIDE BECAUSE GENOCIDE IS FUCKING HORRIFIC. Freeza is a bad boy who needs to be jailed for his horrific crimes, not celebrated as a hero.
Well he was jailed in Hell, before the dumbass Goku decided to bring him back.

Unsurprisingly, that was a bad idea in the long run. Cause at the end of the Broly movie we can see that Freeza is back to slaughtering innocent civilizations.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:45 pm

It's a fictional story, so I can understand ignoring and overlooking things for the sake of plot and character interaction but to actively paint a character's genocide as a good thing is exhausting.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:37 pm
I never said he was, just that in some cases fictional species are bad enough to deserve genocide.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm
...But having Frieza around is even WORSE for those same planets. Frieza didn't solve anything for those other races but give them a new face to see before they die.

The Saiyan genocide was a bunch of bullsharks being taken out by a big ass Great White Shark. The sea is still unsafe for human swimming.
[/quote]
LOL I think that analogy fits well enough that it seals this discussion IMO.

The "big fish encounters bigger fish" theme present in DB means that while Saiyans can surpass their limits, Freeza and his race was one of the few who could match/go beyond them and in fact had kept them as workers. So in the end they weren't too different in power, just in mindset.

And if the Universe 6 Saiyans are similar enough to Universe 7's, then it means that the Saiyans would have eventually stabilized into affable relations with the rest of the universe.