What if Yamcha cheated on Bulma with a GUY.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

What if Yamcha cheated on Bulma with a GUY.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am

I am saying this because I am desperately grasping at straws to reconcile the idea that he's a cheater with the fact that he fears women.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What if Yamcha cheated on Bulma with a GUY.

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am I am saying this because I am desperately grasping at straws to reconcile the idea that he's a cheater with the fact that he fears women.
He got over his fear of women after the first arc

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49 am

I think he overcame his fear long, long before what Bulma says about him cheating. He was 16 at the series' beginning and 27 or 28 by the Saiyan arc. Actually, I think the end of Pilaf where Yamcha and Bulma are blushing and giggling might have obliquely implied that his phobia was gone. (Haven't actually seen the series since 2009)
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am I am saying this because I am desperately grasping at straws to reconcile the idea that he's a cheater with the fact that he fears women.
Yamcha is the designated whipping boy of the series. The joke doesn't have to make sense so long it makes Yamcha look worse. It's how despite being a (relatively) tall, dark haired handsome man, his nerves got him fired from a his host club gig. That is the fate of Yamcha.

So unless Toriyama can think of a joke that would work better with Yamcha's partner being a guy, it'll remain some unnamed woman of the night.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 am

Bulma might've taken it better. She could at least tell herself "Oh, I see. He was gay, all along".
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 am

Yamcha being a MLM is perfect and quaint. I bet he bottoms.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:27 am

To be honest this always came off as nonsense. Toriyama just wanted to have Bulma have a saiyan kid and had more contempt for Yamcha than Bulma.

Yamcha's shown to be pretty much exclusively interested in Bulma as far as I recall. The closest thing to being unfaithul I can think of is maybe getting embarrassed when filler character Maron cuddles up to him in the Garlic Jr. arc. That's it. One non canon moment. Apart from that he's shown repeatedly that he wants to get married and that he gets excited when he thinks he and Bulma will have a kid together after Trunks leaves the first time.

Bulma meanwhile is seen actively hoping Jackie Chun is hot when she finds out Yamcha is fighting him, flirting with General Blue(albeit this is for survival so I'll give her a pass for this one), commenting on how handsome Goku has become and falling for Zarbon when she meets him on Namek whilst on a quest to REVIVE Yamcha. And then obviously she got pregnant with Trunks later.

Lastly during Dragonball she was always the one paranoid he was going to cheat on her, rather than Yamcha ever showing any interest in other women. Cheaters are usually the ones who accuse their partner of cheating to try and rationalise their own cheating.

In Universe you can explain it as coming from an unreliable narrator. Trunks, who reveals this tidbit, is Bulma's son. Bulma certainly won't tell him that she cheated on Yamcha for him to be born in the first place.

Yamcha cheating on Bulma with a guy is as good a head canon as any, but I just don't buy Yamcha as a cheater personally.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am

Didn't Dragon Ball Z start with Yamicha having cheated on Bulma? Like... episode two? Or was that a dubism? I can't remember at this point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:21 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am Didn't Dragon Ball Z start with Yamicha having cheated on Bulma? Like... episode two? Or was that a dubism? I can't remember at this point.
She doesn't mention why she's upset with Yamcha as far as I can tell from skimming the episode.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am Didn't Dragon Ball Z start with Yamicha having cheated on Bulma? Like... episode two? Or was that a dubism? I can't remember at this point.
Dub-ism. In episode 2 she said was mad at him but wouldn’t say why then in episode 10 we found out he stood her up because he was broke.

In the Funimation dub she was mad because he took someone else out. Then in episode 10 they mention he stood her up because he was broke but she comments he took “Becky Hathford” to the concert 3 days later and he retorts he had tickets but she wouldn’t go.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Cheating is cheating whether it's a guy or a girl, right ? or am I missing something here ...

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:47 am
Toriyama stated he never did, and lost a job in a host club because of this.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:39 pm Cheating is cheating whether it's a guy or a girl, right ? or am I missing something here ...

Yes. The point of the hypothetical isn't to excuse Yamcha's cheating but to reconcile it with his apparent gynophobia (which Toriyama has stated Yamcha is still struggling with)
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:39 pm Cheating is cheating whether it's a guy or a girl, right ? or am I missing something here ...

Cheating is lying and lying to your partner is bad!
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 pm

The whole idea of Yamcha cheating on Bulma was obviously just thrown in so that she wouldn’t look like a scumbag for having a one night stand with Vegeta. As for Toriyama’s comments about how Yamcha still hasn’t gotten over his fear of women, that just goes to show that he doesn’t think much about this stuff.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 pm The whole idea of Yamcha cheating on Bulma was obviously just thrown in so that she wouldn’t look like a scumbag for having a one night stand with Vegeta. As for Toriyama’s comments about how Yamcha still hasn’t gotten over his fear of women, that just goes to show that he doesn’t think much about this stuff.
I don’t think Toriyama cares if Bulma looks like a scumbag or not....

At best we’re suppose to take it as unreliable source. Trunks said it so he’s possibly going off what his mom told him and her perspective may be a bit warped (Other girls are hitting on him, he’s cheating on me)
TobyS wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:03 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:47 am
Toriyama stated he never did, and lost a job in a host club because of this.
I could be petty and say this was something he said in a Battle of Gods interview circa 2013 so it matters to me as much as Dragon Ball Minus existing as Goku’s backstory

So I will

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 pm The whole idea of Yamcha cheating on Bulma was obviously just thrown in so that she wouldn’t look like a scumbag for having a one night stand with Vegeta. As for Toriyama’s comments about how Yamcha still hasn’t gotten over his fear of women, that just goes to show that he doesn’t think much about this stuff.
I don’t think Toriyama cares if Bulma looks like a scumbag or not....

At best we’re suppose to take it as unreliable source. Trunks said it so he’s possibly going off what his mom told him and her perspective may be a bit warped (Other girls are hitting on him, he’s cheating on me)
I don’t think the manga would even bother implying that Yamcha cheated on Bulma, if Toriyama didn’t have any concern regarding how Trunks’ existence would reflect on Bulma’s character. By the time the Cell arc came around, Toriyama seemed to try and make Bulma the voice of reason of the cast, so it’s not a stretch to imagine that he was looking for a convenient excuse for her to dump Yamcha for Vegeta that wouldn’t make her look like the bad guy.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Yamcha likes women, he just didn’t cheat period.

It was a story Bulma made up and told her son to justify her being thirsty towards the guy who was partly responsible for their friends getting killed.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Yamcha got cucked by Vegeta's cooking. The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach, not diamonds.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm

The recent video game Kakarot has him being a cheater at least as far back as the Saiyan arc where he two-times Bulma with multiple women including two women named Pearl and Sapphire. It is side material but as close to a concrete answer as you will get.

The idea that he is a womanizer that is afraid of women is funny but it isn't something that appears in anything about that interview. Unless you stretch it to fear of commitment.