Update: Movie Tournament: The winner decided

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Update: Movie Tournament: The winner decided

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:18 pm

Update: In the 5th place with 27 points is Broly the legendary Ssj. It's followed in 4th place by Dead zone with 32 points. Fusion Reborn comes in 3rd with 33 points. Super Broly is next in 2nd place with 37 points. Wrath of the dragon takes the win by the smallest of difference of one point, 38 points.

I was hoping Battle of Gods would win, but if I can't have that, I'll gladly take wrath of the dragon.

Original post: There are 5 movies left, and in order to decide the winner, points will be given to each movie based on its position within your top 5. Your first movie will be awarded 5 points, while your last movie will be awarded 1 point. The movie with the most points wins.

The top 5 are:

Fusion reborn
Wrath of the Dragon
Super: Broly
Broly: The legendary Ssj
Dead zone

My order:

1- Wrath of the Dragon: The best out of the original 13 Z movies. It had an original story and introduced a great character in Tapion. It may not have the production value of Super's movie, but for the time, this was easily the best looking product under the Z brand, and arguably still is.

2- Super: Broly : By far the best looking DB movie ever made, and it managed to remove multiple elements I didn't like in the original Broly movie.

3- Broly the Lssj: Arguably the most popular movie, and rightfully so. It introduced a villain that felt every bit the monster he was built up to be. If not for the ending and Vegeta's treatment, it would've easily taken the second spot.

4- Fusion Reborn: A great movie, with unfortunate mistakes. I love the look of this movie, and I think Janemba was a great villain, both in design and abilities. What holds this movie back is how little screen time Gogeta gets, while gags such as Veku and Goten/Trunks get plenty.

5- Dead Zone: This was a good start to the Z era of movies. It had great choreographed fights and it was nice seeing Piccolo manage to hold his own with Goku. I'm not a fan of the Gohan kidnapping, nor the group of villains under Garlic Jr. I also think Gohan's song messes with the pacing.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Movie Tournament: The Champion

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm

1. Dead zone
2. Super Broly
3. Fusion Reborn
4. Wrath of Dragon
5. Legendary Super Saiyan

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:20 pm

1. Wrath of the Dragon
2. Fusion Reborn
3. Super Broly. I was seriously debating whether or not I prefer this over the original one. On one hand, I like how dark and twisted Broly’s original backstory is, but I get the rationale behind making Broly a sympathetic character, and his new backstory is much simpler. Both movies also suffer from having what is essentially one big fight that goes on for too long at the end of the second act that goes on for far too long, but the newer one does have better animation and more inventive fight sequences, so I suppose it beats the original in that regard.
4. Broly the Legendary SSJ
5. Deadzone.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 am

1. Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan.
This film has crazy repeat-value. I wud watch it anyday for it's central character, Broly & his badaassery alone.

2. Fusion Reborn
Widely regarded as best drawn, best animated, best choreographed DBZ film, I like this film just as equal or not more than Broly.

3. Wrath of Dragon
This is a proper theatrical film man. Enuf said. Has grandiosity painted all over it. 1st Half build-up with various character intro's like Hoi, Tapion, mysterious monster terrorizing the city was really bizzare. But once the knots are untied in the 2nd half, film was brilliant & climax fight was great

I didn't vote for DZ & DBS Broly so I cannot comment on them😊

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:21 am

1. Super: Broly
2. Broly: The Legendary SSJ
3. Dead Zone
4. Fusion Reborn
5. Wrath of the Dragon

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:51 am

1. DBS: Broly

2. Wrath of the Dragon

3. Fusion Reborn

4. Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

5. Dead Zone
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 am

1. Super Broly
It's a good movie, bront. The story is fun, the characters are all ace, it's something different to what's come before... It's great. The only criticism I can possibly reach for is that I'm not a fan of the soundtrack. Though even that is a somewhat weak nitpick, as despite my distaste for Sumitomo's scoring, this is certainly his best work on Dragon Ball.

2. Z movie 1 (AKA Dead Zone)
Another really good movie. Argaubly doesn't amount to a huge ton, but it's a fun ride, the characters are all great... It's just really great stuff. It's a movie that I really have a hard time saying no to. Even though I haven't watched it in full many times, I often find myself coming back to it to watch bits, and I'm often tempted to just say "Screw it" and rewatch it, even if I have something I really need to be doing. :lol:

3. Z movie 13 (AKA Wrath Of The Dragon)
Really, really great movie. Not as good as the two above it IMO, but it's great. Ending is a little disappointing, but Tapion and Trunks are the real stars of the show, and they're excellent. We also get some delightful characterisation of Gohan and Videl, and we get some rather nice slice-of-life stuff of the Son family in general. It's just a really warm movie.

4. Z movie 12 (AKA Fusion Reborn)
This one is okay. It's got a solid fight, and it looks really nice, and it's got some fun moments, but I never saw the big deal with this one. I guess a lot of it is probably down to the fact that it's quite Vegeta-centric, and not only is his character stuff here good, but Funimation's dub of this one was among their better work in the pre-Kai era, so Sabat ended up pulling off that characterisation quite well.

5. Z movie 8 (Broly 1)
Despite the hype, and a lot of the fun concepts, this is not a great movie IMO. The first two acts are really interesting but also sinfully slow, then the third act is just kinda dull.
I can understand why a lot of people love this one, and I certainly do enjoy it, and will happily watch it again, but I wouldn't put this anywhere near my real top 5, I don't think.
This movie needed to be shorter, it needed Goku to be far less involved in the main plot (having him come in and be the reason they win is fine; just make the main focus that Broly is slaughtering Vegeta, and Vegeta has to put aside his pride and let Goku help), and un-transformed Broly needed to actually be a character. Arguably Paragas needed a little more characterisation work too, though IMO he was actually pretty well done.
This movie has a lot of fun concepts and potential, and it's a fun watch (and, as a sidenote, much like Fusion Reborn, this one's Funi dub is actually not bad. In fact, it's comparable to their work on Kai 1.0 in pretty much every respect), but it's a very disappointing movie, and it's honestly quite baffling how they managed to screw up so many things about this one. Especially since a good chunk of what they could've done to make the third act of this movie really work, they would do to great effect in Fusion Reborn, just a couple of years later. Though that movie ended up having the reverse problem of this one, where outside of Vegeta's characterisation and the main featured fight, there's really not anything of substance, and it probably needed to be longer.
... My thoughts on this movie are complex and mixed, and honestly I prefer Broly 3 and Super Broly. But I wouldn't call it a bad movie, by any stretch, and I completely understand why people love this one so much.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:43 pm

1. Fusion Reborn
2. Wrath of the Dragon
3. Broly LSSJ
4. Dead Zone
5. Super Broly

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 am

1. Death Zone

The reason: it is the first DB material I had contact with. I love this movie, even with grotesque mistakes.

2. Broly

Particularly, there are no complaints with this film, the characters are themselves, the music is excellent and the action scenes are perfect. The film has the best fight of the franchise.

3. Fusion Reborn

It is a very pleasant film to watch during the afternoon. I'm a fan of Janemba's final form look, but he's the weak point of this film. Here in Brazil, it was released together with Bojack Unbound, forming an 80-minute film. And it took me almost three years to watch this full movie. Not crazy?

4. Wrath of Dragon

I think this film is excellent, especially if we look at most of Toei's films at that time. However, for some reason I only saw it twice.

5. Broly, Legendary Super Saiyan

It would be a grade 10 movie if the movie didn't link Goku's story to Broly and also because of the outcome of the fight.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:00 am

I didn’t participate in the other threads. I can’t believe Battle of Gods is out... anyways:

1. Super: Broly

2. Wrath of the Dragon

3. Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

4. Fusion Reborn

5. Dead Zone

DBS Broly has too much rewatch-value to not be number 1, even though Movie 13 has a more substantial story. They are both amazing movies with amazing soundtrack so it was an hard choice.

I put Movie 8 over Movie 12 because I prefer the direction of the first Broly’s movie, the interactions and the setting and Broly is a better antagonist than Janemba who didn’t even talk.

Dead Zone is so and so. It’s definitely one of the better movies, the art style is gorgeous and so is the overall vibe of the movie but I just never found the story to be captivating enough to rewatch it many times. I think I only watched it three times, while the other ones I have watched multiple times.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Dead Zone is my number one.

Cool "grounded" fight choreography, awesome music and visual design. The 23rd Budokai/Saiyan arc is probably my favorite versions of all these characters as well.

Something else I like is that the movie is straight to the point. There's zero "fat" in this movie. I like how it has a well done dub (the Pioneer one) as well. If I had to choose one individual piece of Dragon Ball media to show to someone who had never seen it, this might be it.

I liked Super Broly a lot too for what that's worth.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:47 pm

1 - Wrath of the Dragon: This is the one that feels most like a "movie" due to its structure and pacing, the character beats in this alone would probably be enough to put this over any movie. I live Gohan & Videl's Saiyaman routine at the beginning, and Videl's downright rude treatment of Hoi. The subplot of Trunks feeling lonely as an only child was nice, and him immediately looking up to Tapion who warms up to him over the course of the movie. It was also nice to see Bulma getting involved by using her technology to assist Tapion, and bringing back Cell's time machine is a really cool throwback. Even Vegeta has a good moment with his limited screen time: he gets taken out of the fight because he priortizes protecting civilians, the first time we've seen him do that. The main fight isn't great, but it's serviceable, and it contains the great character moment of Tapion trying to convince Trunks to kill him to finish off Hirudegarn. It also feels quite original for the DB films, even with the obvious allusion to Babidi and Boo.

2 - Dead Zone: this film is lots of fun. Well choreographed fights, Goku and Piccolo's team up is cool, and it's pretty funny seeing their fight only be interrupted when they finally notice the ground underneath them being pulled into the deadzone. It's also nice seeing a villain actually get their wish, and gain immortality at that. It's a little silly that Garlic provided the means to his own defeat, but to his credit he couldn't otherwise beat Goku/Piccolo and only Gohan could dislodge him, which was a complete unknown - so I'm not too hard on it. This film has obvious allusions to Raditz' mini-arc, but there's enough to differentiate it beyond the broad strokes. The scenery is also a real treat.

3 - Fusion Reborn: I enjoy Otherworld Adventures with Deadku and Pikkon, and the opening on this one is cool. Janemba has two well designed forms, perfect contrast between goofy and intimidating, and the various powers he pulls out make for a fine fight. It was also really nice seeing the side characters fighting on Earth, and Gohan's take-down of Freeza is awesome. Gogeta's entrance and no-nonsense way of finishing Janemba is extremely satisfying. Once more, great scenery, with the portrayal of Hell warped by Janemba's powers.

4 - Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan - the extra runtime and slow build up help make this feel more like a movie than most of the others, which is certainly nice, with Goku following on the trails of Broly's destruction and Gohan/Trunks/Kuririn investigating Paragus' activities. Broly's backstory is pretty silly, but I still like that Goku sets him off and ruins Paragus' plan for revenge. Also, Paragus' backstory by comparison is great! The fact that Broly and Paragus have a different nemesis in the cast is a cool idea. Furthermore, the group battle against Broly is very nice, with him powering through everything the cast throw at him. Big group fights like that are pretty rare, so I appreciate going all in with it. However, I think Vegeta's arc in this movie was really overblown, and he ends up not making any difference once he gets over his fear, except to power up Goku after losing. Definitely not one of the best movies, but it has its strengths.

5 Super Broly: I wasn't sure whether to put this over Movie 8, but ultimately I feel like it belongs here. The movie feels pretty disjointed, with the DB Minus parts not really doing the feel (or continuity) a service, and the Broly segment is less interesting to me than the original - though I do like Paragus' ruthlessness earlier in the movie, where he executes Beat to save on supplies. But Broly's characterization is not much of an improvement for me - too much emphasis based on how innocent and pure he is, with Paragus just being an abusive dick. And once the fight starts, he's even more of a mindless berserker than the original Broly was! Aside from his (well handled) reaction to Paragus' death, he's basically movie 10 Broly until the very end of the film, and it's incredibly boring. And, unfortunately, the fight itself isn't much better. Sure, the animation is great for most of the film, but the sequence of one-on-one fights are pretty bland, the portion of Goku and Vegeta working together is too short, and their solution of fusion just feels like a remix of movie 12. All in all, this story just feels like a remix of earlier ideas, and most of the screen time is one fight that isn't very enjoyable. And the CG used is very noticeably a step down form the beautiful animation, which really hurts.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Update: Movie Tournament: The winner decided

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:55 pm

In the 5th place with 27 points is Broly the legendary Ssj. It's followed in 4th place by Dead zone with 32 points. Fusion Reborn comes in 3rd with 33 points. Super Broly is next in 2nd place with 37 points. Wrath of the dragon takes the win by the smallest of difference of one point, 38 points.

I was hoping Battle of Gods would win, but if I can't have that, I'll gladly take wrath of the dragon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm

A well-deserved win, I think. It's a great movie.

IMO, Sleeping Princess and Super Broly are better, but this one holds a special place as one that not only is really good, but fits in-canon in such a way that if you're watching the original DB+Z+GT run, I would actually recommend slotting this in between Z episodes 288 and 289 as if it's an unofficial third TV special coming right before the DBZ epilogue (for extra immersion in this idea, watch it in 4:3, and appreciate the full frame of the beautiful animation that went into this awesome film). It's such a delightful addition to the story, and fits right in with the TV show. :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Movie 13 is still my personal favorite one in the franchise, so you certainly won’t hear me complaining about any ranking system that it wins. It’s the one Dragon Ball movie where I wouldn’t have minded if it was longer.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm Movie 13 is still my personal favorite one in the franchise, so you certainly won’t hear me complaining about any ranking system that it wins. It’s the one Dragon Ball movie where I wouldn’t have minded if it was longer.
Honestly, I think they could've done a fully-fledged story arc of it in the anime. Would've made the best filler arc Toei's ever done by a long shot.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pmIt’s the one Dragon Ball movie where I wouldn’t have minded if it was longer.
Less is more in some cases, this being on of them. I'd rather take a shorter movie that fully utilizes its run time over one that's padded for the sake of being longer. The new movies suffer greatly from this, being 15-20 minutes longer than they should be. I can't imagine why some fans want the movies to be over 2 hours long, when they can't even properly fill the time of a 90-100 minute one.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pmI would actually recommend slotting this in between Z episodes 288 and 289 as if it's an unofficial third TV special coming right before the DBZ epilogue. It's such a delightful addition to the story, and fits right in with the TV show. :)
It definitely has the quality of those specials, as you can tell the staff gave it their all, making it a great send off to the Z era of the franchise. One of the best things about it is justifying Ssj3's existence, as it's the only time it pulls off a win. I also really liked the story of Tapion and his relationship with Trunks. It's the only movie in the original 13 to put the characters above the fighting. I wish the other 12 were this good, but I guess it had the advantage of coming out right as the manga was ending, resulting in more creative freedom.