Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:33 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm If the joke had been funny, I probably wouldn't have minded Gotenks at all.
It was funny for me. But then, I view the Buu arc differently than most people do.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:33 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm If the joke had been funny, I probably wouldn't have minded Gotenks at all.
It was funny for me. But then, I view the Buu arc differently than most people do.
No, I get it. The Buu Arc works really well as a self parody. Goku-Vegeta ends up being anticlimatic (at least in the manga), the spirit bomb actually finally gets a kill, Gohan is a total failure, Gotenks screams a bunch about how he'll never forgive Buu, just about every trope the series has set up gets brought back up in a piss take.

I get that Toriyama stumbled into an amazing self-parody with the Buu Arc. I just (unfortunately) can't look past the actual story :(
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm No, I get it. The Buu Arc works really well as a self parody.
I'm not even talking about that. Even before I started to view the Buu arc that way, the whole thing just worked for me in a way that it clearly doesn't for a lot of people. And the reasons people give for why it's bad just never mattered to me.

Being a self-parody is just one more reason why I like it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm No, I get it. The Buu Arc works really well as a self parody.
I'm not even talking about that. Even before I started to view the Buu arc that way, the whole thing just worked for me in a way that it clearly doesn't for a lot of people. And the reasons people give for why it's bad just never mattered to me.

That's why i like it as well, and it almost feels like a half return to the more humorous tone of the early part of the series but still not quite as gag-esque.

(Wow this is officially my 1500th post on the forum, can't believe it!!!)
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:33 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm

That's why i like it as well, and it almost feels like a half return to the more humorous tone of the early part of the series but still not quite as gag-esque.

IT'S OVER ONE THOUSAND!!!!!
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:33 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm

IT'S OVER ONE THOUSAND!!!!!
Haha, i see what you did there. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)