How to properly watch GT ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How to properly watch GT ?

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:10 pm The idea that Baby’s conquering of Earth was supposed be a misguided form of revenge against the Saiyans kind of rings hollow when you remember that Baby wanted to infect the entire universe. The simple explanation to Baby’s motives is that he’s a power hungry maniac who just uses the destruction of his planet as an excuse.

Funnily enough, there were one or two lines in the FUNimation dub that seemed to try and paint Baby as more of a well intentioned extremist.
If it was only an excuse, he would simply kill everyone he saw as a threat or rule over them like Frieza. He wanted to make everyone one united race though (with awfully wrong actions to achieve that of course). Even though he called them servants, he threated them as part of race, not just some slaves. He even said to Trunks (after he was healed from infection) that he is a fool as he could've lived as a Tuffle if he was loyal to him. When he lost control after becoming Oozaru even Goku was disgusted by a fact he attacked Earth despite earthlings being his followers at this time. His reaction wouldn't be the same if it was Frieza killing his people as no one would expect him to feel any sympathy for them, except for his closest soldiers like Ginyu who he actually respected. But in RoF arc, he wiped out his entire army when they started to lose. Afterall, Baby still kept Bulma as his girlfriend and when fighting Uub ordered his people to step back so they won't be killed.
He IS ruling over them. They are under his control. They are his slaves.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 am

ABED wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 pm He IS ruling over them. They are under his control. They are his slaves.
Yeah but it's quite different from what Frieza was doing. Frieza was a tyrant who was enslaving people under his rule and forced them to fight for him and people did not feel happy about that. Yes, Baby did force people to join him, but in their minds he was a god, they didn't feel like slaves. It's kinda like North Korea maybe, where people do not realize that something is wrong and they create one big nation together praising their ruler and nation over anything else. Not to mention Baby was mostly fighting on his own, while Frieza preferred to send his soldiers to do dirty work. He was bad for infecting them, but as a ruler alone, he wasn't that bad, until he went rampage after turning into Oozaru that is. Rebuilding his race and home planet was his priority.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:44 am

But it wasn't their minds. He took away their free will.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Baby is ultimately what his name indicates: A childish being whose motives were just an excuse to feed his own ego. I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't actually give a damn about his subjects and only keeps the useful ones close to him until he has to save his own skin.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodboiRaditz

Post by GoodboiRaditz » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pm

I just finished GT ,what i loved about the final arcis that it focused about what Elder Kai said in the boo arc ,such a cool touch , but the fight with the One star dragon dragged on for too long , i found the last 2 episodes to be the best in GT , especially after Vegeta and the others last stand thinking that Goku died , it felt emotional and the ending was too especially with DAN DAN playing in the background ,anyway i felt the ending of GT was like the ending of Dragonball as a whole unlike Super's ending who felt like the ending of just Super , but still not enough to redeem the entire show ,it was average for me .

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm

GoodboiRaditz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pm it was average for me .
Well, that's an improvement since last time it was a torture :wink:

Yeah, GT's ending really feel like a definitive ending to franchise. Last arc's plot itself implies this is the end, let alone ending. Make sure to watch TV special "A hero's legacy", it's a story about Goku Jr. and it takes place some time before the last scenes of GT.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:04 pm

GoodboiRaditz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pmI felt the ending of GT was like the ending of Dragonball as a whole unlike Super's ending who felt like the ending of just Super , but still not enough to redeem the entire show ,it was average for me .
GT's ending is definitely a highlight of the show, and yes, it feels like an ending to DB as a whole because that's what it was going for. Super's ending wasn't even an ending, as we got a movie right after and a new arc that's currently wrapping up.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:04 pm
GoodboiRaditz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pmI felt the ending of GT was like the ending of Dragonball as a whole unlike Super's ending who felt like the ending of just Super , but still not enough to redeem the entire show ,it was average for me .
GT's ending is definitely a highlight of the show, and yes, it feels like an ending to DB as a whole because that's what it was going for. Super's ending wasn't even an ending, as we got a movie right after and a new arc that's currently wrapping up.
Super will never feel like true ending no matter if it really ends for good or not. There are still events after that as Goku meets Uub. Being a midquel kinda disqualifies this show from having good ending for franchise and some serious tension during its run as we know that everyone is fine after few years. They can't make shenron disappear with Goku or kill someone for good if he appears on last tournament in Z. The best thing they could do after killing or getting rid of some major character is to make him return in very last episode. So when Piccolo died in RoF arc, no one cared. We knew he will eventually return. What's funny is a fact that GT initially was meant to take place in the 10 year time skip that DBS currently took. If they didn't change that, GT would've suffered from the same problems and wouldn't have such ending.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:22 pm

The way to properly watch GT is you don't watch it. :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pmBeing a midquel kinda disqualifies this show from having some serious tension during its run as we know that everyone is fine after few years.

What's funny is a fact that GT initially was meant to take place in the 10 year time skip that DBS currently took. If they didn't change that, GT would've suffered from the same problems and wouldn't have such ending.
This without a doubt is the worst decision modern DB has made. It's fine for 1 or 2 stories, but an entire show with 7+ arcs set before EOZ ? They're basically wrapping their own hands behind their backs for no reason.

One thing I'll always give GT credit for is the consequences it has for the main cast. Piccolo, buu, and 17 are dead and never come back. That's something even the original manga didn't do. As far as we know, Goku is never seen again by his friends. If GT was better written, it'd easily stand just as high as what came before it, and certainly walk all over what we're getting now.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm

I think people make too much about Super removing tension because we know who survives as if death is the only stake that matters. While the characters at the end of DBZ are safe, the characters we meet in Super aren't. It's like Better Call Saul. We know Jimmy, Gus, and Mike live since it's a prequel to Breaking Bad, but they're not the only characters we care about and the stakes don't have to be life or death to matter.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pmBeing a midquel kinda disqualifies this show from having some serious tension during its run as we know that everyone is fine after few years.

What's funny is a fact that GT initially was meant to take place in the 10 year time skip that DBS currently took. If they didn't change that, GT would've suffered from the same problems and wouldn't have such ending.
This without a doubt is the worst decision modern DB has made. It's fine for 1 or 2 stories, but an entire show with 7+ arcs set before EOZ ? They're basically wrapping their own hands behind their backs for no reason.

One thing I'll always give GT credit for is the consequences it has for the main cast. Piccolo, buu, and 17 are dead and never come back. That's something even the original manga didn't do. As far as we know, Goku is never seen again by his friends. If GT was better written, it'd easily stand just as high as what came before it, and certainly walk all over what we're getting now.
Actually there was one interview saying #17 was brought back to life as he was actually good, just controlled. They even had a small dialogue for him and he was meant to appear in last episode, but for time contraints they removed that, too bad. They could at least mention him to make people know he is alive.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm

The lack of permanent stakes was still there in Z, it's not something particular to GT or Super. Like a lot of stories, a big problem is the lack of a good payoff. It's not surprising that people single out GT's ending because it had a solid payoff. It feels like an appropriate ending for Dragon Ball. Hell, the seeds had been planted before even GT when Elder Kaioshin warns about using the DB's too much. Solid storytelling mostly boils down to set ups and payoffs.

GoodboiRaditz

Post by GoodboiRaditz » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:26 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm
GoodboiRaditz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pm it was average for me .
Well, that's an improvement since last time it was a torture :wink:

Yeah, GT's ending really feel like a definitive ending to franchise. Last arc's plot itself implies this is the end, let alone ending. Make sure to watch TV special "A hero's legacy", it's a story about Goku Jr. and it takes place some time before the last scenes of GT.
Thank you my friend for guiding me through GT , i will definetly watch it .

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pmThere was one interview saying #17 was brought back to life, They even had a small dialogue for him and he was meant to appear in last episode, but for time contraints they removed that, too bad.
Keeping him dead was a good move, as it shows despite the arc being small in the grand scheme of things, it left a permanent scar on the characters involved (Krillin's family).

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 am

Kodoshin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 pmThe final arc seems like the most lazy, obvious, cliche story idea possible but people enjoy it somehow.

I'm not sure how anyone can call that the least bit creative or, especially, good.
People enjoy it (or the idea at least) because not only was it continuing a plot point established in Toriyama's manga, it was the perfect arc for the franchise to go out on. What better way to end DB than by having the very thing that started it turn on the cast, only for them to lose the Dragon Balls at the end ? To make things worse, they even lost Goku. If there's one thing GT got right, it's consequences and shifts within the status quo.

Wait just a minute, if this isn't creative, what would you call modern DB ? GT may be a snoozefest, but it's nowhere near as creatively bankrupt as modern DB is. If anything, my negative feelings towards GT is due to how poorly they executed an otherwise very creative chapter within the franchise. The arc's execution may not be good, but at least it's short, unlike the Tournament of Power which is over 3 times longer. Come to think of it, the Tournament of Power is almost as long as GT is in its entirety. :wtf:

GoodboiRaditz

Post by GoodboiRaditz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 am
Kodoshin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 pmThe final arc seems like the most lazy, obvious, cliche story idea possible but people enjoy it somehow.

I'm not sure how anyone can call that the least bit creative or, especially, good.
People enjoy it (or the idea at least) because not only was it continuing a plot point established in Toriyama's manga, it was the perfect arc for the franchise to go out on. What better way to end DB than by having the very thing that started it turn on the cast, only for them to lose the Dragon Balls at the end ? To make things worse, they even lost Goku. If there's one thing GT got right, it's consequences and shifts within the status quo.

Wait just a minute, if this isn't creative, what would you call modern DB ? GT may be a snoozefest, but it's nowhere near as creatively bankrupt as modern DB is. If anything, my negative feelings towards GT is due to how poorly they executed an otherwise very creative chapter within the franchise. The arc's execution may not be good, but at least it's short, unlike the Tournament of Power which is over 3 times longer. Come to think of it, the Tournament of Power is almost as long as GT is in its entirety. :wtf:
GT narratively speaking is beyond Super , Super is all about new forms and combining Kaioken with Blue and childish stuff like good visual combat , it neglects the storytelling and that's what made turn off , GT on the other hand is well written even if the execution was average at best , it's still felt connected to the previous series , everyone payed in the end ,Piccolo died because of his dragonballs , the earth was nearly destroyed because of the dragonballs , Goku was gone for good because of them , this show had consequences , Super made Goku retarted , held back Vegeta's character , made the kids the same as Z , Gohan making the same mistake again of neglecting training and on and on .

GT Goten and Trunks develloped a lot , Goten was playboy and i loved him for it , Trunks was a mature guy unlike his bratty self from Z , Vegeta was a family man , even referred to himself as an earthling , loved his outfits in GT , GT handled the social life of the group way better than Super .

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am

GoodboiRaditz wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 amGT narratively speaking is beyond Super , Super is all about new forms and combining Kaioken with Blue and childish stuff like good visual combat , it neglects the storytelling and that's what made turn off , GT on the other hand is well written even if the execution was average at best , it's still felt connected to the previous series.
Super is like junk food, it tastes good at the moment, but it doesn't leave much of an impact once you're done.

GT is like a gourmet dish, it has great food value, but the cook somehow used all the wrong seasonings while making it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am
GoodboiRaditz wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 amGT narratively speaking is beyond Super , Super is all about new forms and combining Kaioken with Blue and childish stuff like good visual combat , it neglects the storytelling and that's what made turn off , GT on the other hand is well written even if the execution was average at best , it's still felt connected to the previous series.
Super is like junk food, it tastes good at the moment, but it doesn't leave much of an impact once you're done.

GT is like a gourmet dish, it has great food value, but the cook somehow used all the wrong seasonings while making it.
To which I'll take the junk food because if I'm not enjoying it it's not great value.

I don't think GT is well written. There are good ideas but as Jim Ross puts it - potential don't pay the bills.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am

I mean, speak for yourself... Super left a big impact on me, especially since it was so popular and discussed, which allowed me to interact with many other DB fans. I can't wait for it to come back.